This Speech was Terrible...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Speech was Terrible...

...and he certainly demonstrated his ignorance of US military history.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/13/polit...ion/index.html

While much of the speech was congratulatory, the President did strike a more political tone at times, laying out his views on American military intervention and touting his administration's support for the armed forces.

"It is not the duty of the US troops to solve ancient conflicts in far away lands that many people have never even heard of," he told the graduates. He went on to say that "we are not the policemen of the world," but warned "enemies" of the United States to "be on notice."

"And when we fight from now on, we will only fight to win," Trump said before praising his administration for increasing funding to the armed forces and the establishment of the Space Force...
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Your right, but who cares the alternative is worse.
    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
      WHY did you reply?

“Someone who doesn’t know is less stupid than someone who wrongly think he knows."

Comment

A good speech would be worse?
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post

WHY did you reply?

People need to learn that verbal intelligence is a specialized ability that can be misleading when assessing general intelligence.
          We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

While much of the speech was congratulatory, the President did strike a more political tone at times, laying out his views on American military intervention and touting his administration's support for the armed forces.

"It is not the duty of the US troops to solve ancient conflicts in far away lands that many people have never even heard of," he told the graduates. He went on to say that "we are not the policemen of the world," but warned "enemies" of the United States to "be on notice."

"And when we fight from now on, we will only fight to win," Trump said before praising his administration for increasing funding to the armed forces and the establishment of the Space Force...
            There is nothing in this excerpt that is wrong :US are not the policemen of the world .
            The idea that there should be a world policeman is considered outside of the USA rightfully as racist, colonialist and imperialist .
            Besides ,it is self destructive for the country that tries to wear the coat of world policeman.
            If you want eternal peace, you will have eternal war .

Comment

Interesting ceremony. The Royal Military College of Canada did its graduation & commission ceremony using live FB stream.

As for the speech. Hmm! ''And when we fight from now on, we will only fight to win'' True that I did not hear the full speech but, nevertheless, I think all armies plan to win...You don't go into a fight without a plan to win...I don't think the US military ever went into a war without a plan to win...It won in Iraq (twice) and Afghanistan...The trouble with the US military is what happens after it wins...An excellent read is ''War and the Art of Governance.'' The US forces, until the end of the Korean war, where darn good in dealing with local and regional governance of a territory it captured - Phillipines, Cuba, Germany (both World Wars), Japan and South Korea are great case studies...Somehow, the US military lost its effectiveness in governance of captured territory after the Korean War.

Comment

People need to learn that verbal intelligence is a specialized ability that can be misleading when assessing general intelligence.
                It can be but it usually isn't. I'm dyslexic so my instinct is to agree with you but words are the building blocks of our thoughts and a limited vocabulary and the inability to articulate yourself in a coherent way is generally a sign that there's less going on upstairs than should be the case.
                "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                  Interesting ceremony. The Royal Military College of Canada did its graduation & commission ceremony using live FB stream.

As for the speech. Hmm! ''And when we fight from now on, we will only fight to win'' True that I did not hear the full speech but, nevertheless, I think all armies plan to win...You don't go into a fight without a plan to win...I don't think the US military ever went into a war without a plan to win...It won in Iraq (twice) and Afghanistan...The trouble with the US military is what happens after it wins...An excellent read is ''War and the Art of Governance.'' The US forces, until the end of the Korean war, where darn good in dealing with local and regional governance of a territory it captured - Phillipines, Cuba, Germany (both World Wars), Japan and South Korea are great case studies...Somehow, the US military lost its effectiveness in governance of captured territory after the Korean War.
                  The recall of the cadets for graduation was nothing more than a desire for Trump to once again put himself on center stage. He cares nothing for West Point, the cadets, and the armed forces in general.

Comment

OMG. The president dared to warn our foes that we will fight?
                    That's completely obscene and unamerican.

Except when Kennedy sent the same message:

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
                    This much we pledge -- and more.
                    https://americanrhetoric.com/speeches/jfkinaugural.htm

His full speech makes it clear we are interested in peace, but will protect ourselves.
                    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Lousy speech, worse delivery. Trump has all the presence of a cardboard cutout. And the only reason for the event was to highlight Trump-nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

It can be but it usually isn't. I'm dyslexic so my instinct is to agree with you but words are the building blocks of our thoughts and a limited vocabulary and the inability to articulate yourself in a coherent way is generally a sign that there's less going on upstairs than should be the case.
                        Of course all the specialized abilities are going to correlate with general intelligence. In the case of dyslexia it is difficult to measure the verbal intelligence of someone suffering from it accurately.

I'm pretty sure Trump has some unusual form of Dyslexia that is associated with being highly intuitive. In order to compensate he has developed persuasion skills (see Scott Adams). It could be that he would score high on spacial relationship tests. He seems to suffer however from an esthetic deficit that conflicts with the personality type associated with liberals. In particular openness to experience.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6266521/

Openness to experience is another trait that may be confused with general intelligence similarly to verbal intelligence. Openness is only slightly correlated with general intelligence but the public perception is that it is highly correlated.

No one I would think is going to associate genius with Trump. Genius is associated with high intelligence as a precondition but appears to be a rare combination of traits including openness, disagreeableness, consciousness, and intuition. It would be nice if we had IQ and Big 5 personality scores for all our politicians.

This is just my attempt to use the language of psychology for the sake of clarity. The same applies to philosophy. In general I don't hold either in particularly high regard. Occasionally a philosopher such as Darwin will have amazing insights as do psychologist.

When working in fields where experimental proof is nearly impossible a different standard than the hard sciences has to be applied. Typically that standard is nomological networks of cumulative evidence. For psychology IQ is the gold standard with personality assessment being a distant second. It is what it is or the best we have to work with.
                        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Lousy speech, worse delivery. Trump has all the presence of a cardboard cutout. And the only reason for the event was to highlight Trump-nothing more, nothing less.
                          Imagine Biden in that role...
                          "It is not the thingy of the US troops to ancient solve conflicts in far away from here lands that never many people heard of never....policemen we are not the world...
                          "And on from when we fight from now on, we will only win to fight,"
                          {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
                            Imagine Biden in that role...
                            "It is not the thingy of the US troops to ancient solve conflicts in far away from here lands that never many people heard of never....policemen we are not the world...
                            "And on from when we fight from now on, we will only win to fight,"
                            I'm sorry, but your posting makes no sense at all.

I am sorry-I forgot-defend Trump no matter what at all costs.

Comment

I'm sorry, but your posting makes no sense at all.

I am sorry-I forgot-defend Trump no matter what at all costs.
                              {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X