This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

Nope. Ultimately three types of people become cops.

Those with a particular set of skills, mental toughness, and drive.

Adrenaline junkies.

And

People who want a job or think it's a good idea.

The latter two burn out or go bad. The first group is a very small segment of the population....and desired in most industries.

There just aren't that many people who can even make good cops. And probably 10 percent of them will want it enough to put up with the job.
    I feel for you Tac. I’m no cop fan, but I know it’s something very needed, and to be the man that wants to do the right thing but to be tarred with the same brush because of bad apples must hurt.
    Its not the people that do the job. Nobody enters that job wanting to be a turd, and I know the job makes you hard, but if the system allows bad apples then the system is wrong. It will stifle good cops and let bad ones infect the rest
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post

What are your feelings on the militarization of police forces in North America?

Do you feel that it makes situations like protests and riots more or less dangerous for all involved?

I ask as I was just reading an article by a Canadian with 20+ years in policing who felt that the militarization had gone too far and that it had few positive impacts.
      Police have always been militarized. Look at a class a uniform. Look at the titles, structure, etc. It's a military uniform straight out of 1918. If anything, police have become far less militarized over the last decade. Class a uniforms have given way to pools which are a purely civilian uniform.

The visual difference is that protective equipment like vests are being worn externally because of health problems associated with concealed vests. Gear is being put on molle because it causes fewer back and nerve problems. Officers now have typically a minimum of 3 less lethal options rather than just a beating stick and a revolver. Things like slap jacks and convoys have been done away with in favor of tasers.

Shotguns have by and large been converted to bean bag guns and rifles issued instead. Rifles are a necessity due to active shooter stuff. Body cams provide accountability and perspective both.

In departments that care, training has improved by leaps and bounds just over the last decade alone.

And as far as tactical units making situations worse, we had rioting here on Sunday. I'm on SWAT.. We were on the line. Engaged no one physically or with gas. Our presence stopped the damage where we were. Our commander even had a 30 minute conversation with some of the leaders. He had a 40mm launcher and full kit on. And our snitches told us the next day that because we looked like we were ready to handle a war, people left.

It's a lot of factors. And "militarized " is merely a buzzword used by those who neither know nor care about learning the nuances, or who believe all cops and agencies are the same.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

If it is against common sense and won't work why do you want them to do it?
        For the same reason you tell your idiot neighbor that he shouldn't poke a wasp nest. But you don't stop him. He will learn more by doing than by you saving him from his own idiocy.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Police change towards less aggression is going on for decades and the big picture shows that crime rate goes down too. There are many variables that affect crime and it is possible to have change in the police culture without having a spike of crime rates
          Well, it's not so much less aggression as it is replacing beat work with technology. For now its helped. But I think we are in the area of diminishing returns. If cops went completely hands off for instance, the trend would reverse massively......or all crime would cease.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post

I feel for you Tac. I’m no cop fan, but I know it’s something very needed, and to be the man that wants to do the right thing but to be tarred with the same brush because of bad apples must hurt.
            Its not the people that do the job. Nobody enters that job wanting to be a turd, and I know the job makes you hard, but if the system allows bad apples then the system is wrong. It will stifle good cops and let bad ones infect the rest
            Just like when you leave rotting apples in a basket...

Notice that in the most recent cases,

1 local LEOs did not arrest their former buddy in Georgia

2. Local coroner downplayed the effects of the police conduct on Floyd's death

3 TX Rangers were late to arrest the police woman who shot the black guy at his apartment and tried at first to charge her with a lesser crime

4 The Police Commissioner thought that what happened to Eric Garner (who also could not breathe) was a result of a mistake that the police commissioner could also have done (https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ehold/1484829/)

5. Today 52 officers from the Buffalo riot police resign in support of their buddies who have been suspended for shoving a 75 old person to the ground. Their claim is not that the fired officers did not do it, but that they followed orders....(https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...icials%20said.
            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

The protests in Detroit have been relatively peaceful for a city with its past. Anyone remember Malice Green? That's all gone now. Detroit is now an almost all Black city with a White mayor, Black police chief and a large percentage of White officers. The police chief is a no-nonsense type who will back his men if they do their job correctly. We get officers from all departments in our store, since we are a Glock Blue Label dealer. The Detroit ones are the most laid back ones. Most, you only know they're cops when they ask if we have a LEO discount (we do) or we see their dept ID when they open their wallets to pay the standard price. I guess when there's real excitement in your job, you don't have to invent it. No shaved heads, no excessive tatted up arms, no steroid bodies or complexions. It seems the more peaceful the dept, the more attitude they have. Even to us, the employees. They don't know when (or how) to switch it off. It's always ""us against everyone else to some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                The protests in Detroit have been relatively peaceful for a city with its past. Anyone remember Malice Green? That's all gone now. Detroit is now an almost all Black city with a White mayor, Black police chief and a large percentage of White officers. The police chief is a no-nonsense type who will back his men if they do their job correctly. We get officers from all departments in our store, since we are a Glock Blue Label dealer. The Detroit ones are the most laid back ones. Most, you only know they're cops when they ask if we have a LEO discount (we do) or we see their dept ID when they open their wallets to pay the standard price. I guess when there's real excitement in your job, you don't have to invent it. No shaved heads, no excessive tatted up arms, no steroid bodies or complexions. It seems the more peaceful the dept, the more attitude they have. Even to us, the employees. They don't know when (or how) to switch it off. It's always ""us against everyone else to some of them.
                Your personal experience reflects an interesting diagram from a community organization about the SPPD (St Paul is next to Minneapolis) which shows the graph with the number of deadly police violence rate on one axis and the violent crime rate of the area on the other axis. One can see how many PDs with relatively low crime rates have actually a very high rate of police deadly force and the SPPD is among those.

https://www.wsco.org/public_statements

Scroll to the link

SPPD Use of Deadly Force Initial Analysis

Local murder and violent crime rates do not appear to explain St. Paul’s high rate of police killings.

Among jurisdictions with relatively low murder rates, St. Paul (3.69 homicides per 1,000,000) has one of the highest rates of police killings.

Here is the graph

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.06.15 PM.png
                My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

We should close down all hospitals because doctors make mistakes and people die.
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                    The reporter shot 3 of 4 including the crazy lady picking flowers.
                    Strange how they always wander into 4-way shootings isn't it ?

I was once attacked by a crazy lady with a fried chicken in a plastic bag, believe it or not.

Always shoot the crazy ones first, they're unpredictable and will get you done in every time

Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Because I want them to realize what the consequences are of indulging their most illogical ideas.
                      The defund the police movement seems to be gaining popularity on the left and it is a spectacularly bad idea based on bizarre thinking.
                      It is similar to the belief that outlawing guns will remove them from the population and stop crime. Recent experiences in New Zealand show that won’t Work.
                      Same with Chicago.

The defund the police movement also establishes that the left embraces the concept of collective guilt. Which is the same illogical thinking that forms the basis of racism. (Assuming all members of the group are the same and share responsibility for the acts of a few) Let the enlightened leaders in Minneapolis enjoys the fruits of their own ridiculous thought patterns and hypocrisy.
                      I will enjoy seeing them explain why crime has spiked as well as the MSM suddenly forgetting that Minneapolis exists.
                      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Re. US police, found this interesting in relation to recent events over there – not least to why US minorities tend to regard the police as as good as the equivalent of a foreign occupation force:
                        https://plsonline.eku.edu/sites/plso...cing-in-us.pdf

Comment

The only way that those people and the politicians that are proposing that action will learn why that is such a bad idea is when they get burned by ignoring the warning that the stove is hot. Besides, common sense died a long time ago.

Date : Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:29:50 -0500

Obituary;

Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, in the USA, by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense lived a long life but died recently in the United States. No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories and helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness.

For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don̓t spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it̓s okay to come in second. A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing, whole language, and “new math.”

His health declined when he became infected with the “If-it-only-helps-one-person-it̓s-worth-it” virus. In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well intentioned but overbearing regulations. He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero tolerance policies.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parent when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports.

Finally, when people, too stupid to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, were awarded a huge settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations such as those for low flow toilets, rocking chairs, and stepladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights, and Ima Whiner.
                          Not many attended his funeral, because so few realized he was gone.
                          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                            Recent experiences in New Zealand show that
                            just on that point- NZ had extremely liberal gun laws. They only changed after the atrocity. Please do some basic research before dragging other places into your mess
                            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post

just on that point- NZ had extremely liberal gun laws. They only changed after the atrocity. Please do some basic research before dragging other places into your mess
                              HAD liberal gun laws is the key word. Are you saying that the recent reports showing gun crime rising in that country after the so-called "assault weapon" ban is false? God-forbid it may suggest that firearms are not the whole problem. The comparison with Chicago is apt.

The knee-jerk reaction (desire?) to blame the US for every little problem in the world is tempting for you I'm sure...a recent asteroid fly-by of Earth may be Trump's fault....but this unique problem is entirely of New Zealand's own doing. Cambronne said nothing false.
                              You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
                                For those proposing change watch out for what you wish for.

After the Cincinnati riots of 2001 the city entered into a collaborative agreement with various "community" organizations. The cops due to pressure tended to not patrol as aggressively.

In the next few years Cincinnati went from an average of 50 to 60 murders a year to over 80 a year.
                                I remember well when this happened, I live about 30 miles north. What is noteworthy, is until that time, Cincinnati was one of the most vibrant minority-owned business sectors in the midwest (micro-business, family owned shops). If I recall correctly, it actually had one densest concentrations of black-owned small businesses in the entire US...or was at least on track to reach that point.

During the riots, they burnt down their own neighborhoods and shops - Vine Street in particular was practically destroyed. Almost 20 years on, they still haven't come close to recovering from that, and I doubt they ever will.
                                You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X