This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karri View Post

It would probably allow for a purge though.
    Nope. Ultimately three types of people become cops.

Those with a particular set of skills, mental toughness, and drive.

Adrenaline junkies.

And

People who want a job or think it's a good idea.

The latter two burn out or go bad. The first group is a very small segment of the population....and desired in most industries.

There just aren't that many people who can even make good cops. And probably 10 percent of them will want it enough to put up with the job.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

Adrenaline junkies.

And

The latter two burn out or go bad. The first group is a very small segment of the population....and desired in most industries.

There just aren't that many people who can even make good cops. And probably 10 percent of them will want it enough to put up with the job.
      Excellent!

Most whom criticize LEOs aren't in that first type nor would become the 10%.

If only it were possible to make them "walk in the shoes" at least briefly to see how challenging it is; and to see if they would survive applying some of their ill thought-out "solutions".

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

Excellent!

Most whom criticize LEOs aren't in that first type nor would become the 10%.

If only it were possible to make them "walk in the shoes" at least briefly to see how challenging it is; and to see if they would survive applying some of their ill thought-out "solutions".
        Last time we ran a reporter through our shoot no shoot training, we had a good time. I did the same scenarios. Only one was a shoot out of 4. That one was an active shooter. The reporter shot 3 of 4 including the crazy lady picking flowers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

No..it won't. Police officers are hard enough to recruit and keep. Renaming them merely maintains the facade.
          They are hard to recruit and keep because many people hesitate to join or remain in a corrupt culture. The solution is to change the culture.
          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Last time we ran a reporter through our shoot no shoot training, we had a good time. I did the same scenarios. Only one was a shoot out of 4. That one was an active shooter. The reporter shot 3 of 4 including the crazy lady picking flowers.
            We did this when I went through the Sheriff's academy, one of the last sessions of the eleven. With a couple dozen students, only a few of us got to (volunteered) for the shoot-don't shoot drills. These were done in a large bay/garage of the emergency management/training center. We had holstered glocks with about three squid rounds, sort of a blank that shoots a rubber pellet. One or two of the sheriffs would play the roles of suspect/perps.

One gal in role of a traffic stop officer walked up to the suspect vehicle and was barely at the window when they shot in her direction. NO hit and she scampered quickly away and behind the vehicle.

One guy was a bit quick to draw and shot his suspect in the leg. This student was all hot on subject of shoot to wound, not towards body mass. His target was only a couple feet away from him.

My scenario was arrived at a residence that reported a vehicle prowl. I'm met by what might be the homeowner and a neighbor standing by the pick-up supposedly prowled. Reportedly the suspects had just left in their vehicle when the caller came out to confront them. This is information I have prior to arriving on the scene.

As I exit my vehicle a male with a baseball bat in hand approaches me and is loud and aggressive about how I need to hurry up and "get after them". I let him know another LEO is doing than and I need to get more information, such as confirm this is the vehicle/home owner and not a suspect gaming me. As he advances I'm stepping back and escalating my voice warning him to stop and put down the bat. He's increasingly louder and more belligerent, and after some of this standoff with little progress, the director calls a halt.

The main critique I got was that I hadn't drawn my weapon and likely should have, for my safety and to enforce compliance by the threat. Instructor thought I'd let him get too close and within range to strike before I could respond. Maybe, but my hand was there hovering on edge of pulling firearm and I think I could have, had he charged.

IT was a very tense and realistic experience, IMO.

Comment

Post removed
              Address post and not poster
              thank you
              ACG Staff

Comment

Adrenaline junkies.

And

What are your feelings on the militarization of police forces in North America?

Do you feel that it makes situations like protests and riots more or less dangerous for all involved?

I ask as I was just reading an article by a Canadian with 20+ years in policing who felt that the militarization had gone too far and that it had few positive impacts.

Comment

Adrenaline junkies.

And

The glaring missing of the category of people who want to exercise power over other people is telling....

Same with those who want to go after minorities but they cannot do it as regular citizens. One of them was the person who went after Arbery. A former cop in Georgia...
                  My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post

What are your feelings on the militarization of police forces in North America?

Do you feel that it makes situations like protests and riots more or less dangerous for all involved?

I ask as I was just reading an article by a Canadian with 20+ years in policing who felt that the militarization had gone too far and that it had few positive impacts.
                    Not to answer for Tac... but ...

Could it be in response to the militarization of the protestors? ;

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...26#post5197826

Comment

For those proposing change watch out for what you wish for.

After the Cincinnati riots of 2001 the city entered into a collaborative agreement with various "community" organizations. The cops due to pressure tended to not patrol as aggressively.

In the next few years Cincinnati went from an average of 50 to 60 murders a year to over 80 a year.
                      "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                      Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

.... Ultimately three types of people become cops.

And

In a big department with union protection those who want to bump along and do the bare minimum seem to find a place for them selves.

They can drive around and do as little as possible. They wont cause any trouble, and they will be of little use.
                        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
                          For those proposing change watch out for what you wish for.

After the Cincinnati riots of 2001 the city entered into a collaborative agreement with various "community" organizations. The cops due to pressure tended to not patrol as aggressively.

In the next few years Cincinnati went from an average of 50 to 60 murders a year to over 80 a year.
                          Police change towards less aggression is going on for decades and the big picture shows that crime rate goes down too. There are many variables that affect crime and it is possible to have change in the police culture without having a spike of crime rates

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

In a big department with union protection those who want to bump along and do the bare minimum seem to find a place for them selves.

They can drive around and do as little as possible. They wont cause any trouble, and they will be of little use.
                            Which is why.....when you look at the real incidents, it's almost invariably big departments, and more often than not in union areas.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

The glaring missing of the category of people who want to exercise power over other people is telling....

Same with those who want to go after minorities but they cannot do it as regular citizens. One of them was the person who went after Arbery. A former cop in Georgia...
                              Nope. They're the ones who think it would be a good idea. Normally its because they have control issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

I've been laughing about this plan all morning.

I desperately want them to do it and prove to the world that removing the police department will solve the city's problems.

I wondered if the city council had any actual authority to do this.

If I were a cop there I would start looking for a job somewhere else.
                                If it is against common sense and won't work why do you want them to do it?
                                We are not now that strength which in old days
                                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X