This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Safety Officers

The Minneapolis City Council want to dismantle the police dept and replace with a public safety agency.

Thursday, the Minneapolis City Council said they are holding a special emergency meeting to approve court order outlining changes for the Minneapolis Police Department and framework for systemic change.

Minnesota Department of Human Rights Commissioner Rebecca Lucero and the Minneapolis Civil Rights Director Velma Korbel will brief the City Council Friday on the next steps for the state investigation into the MPD. The City Council will also vote on a court order, stipulating changes for the department and a framework for systemic change as part of the state's longer-term investigation, according to a news release.

Two Minneapolis City Council members have tweeted this week that they're looking to make serious changes to, or possibly eliminate, the Minneapolis Police Department after George Floyd's death last week.

Tuesday, Ward 3 representative Steve Fletcher tweeted, "I don't know yet, though several of us on the council are working on find out, what it would take to disband the MPD and start fresh with a community-oriented, non-violent public safety and outreach capacity."

https://kstp.com/minnesota-news/minn...une-5/5751027/

I would like to see the thinking behind this and how they plan to implement it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
      I would like to see the thinking behind this and how they plan to implement it.
      I've been laughing about this plan all morning.

I desperately want them to do it and prove to the world that removing the police department will solve the city's problems.

I wondered if the city council had any actual authority to do this.

If I were a cop there I would start looking for a job somewhere else.
      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Typical political double-speak. Many places have already re-named their police departs "departments of public safety", a totally meaningless term since it does no such thing.

In this case, it's a political move to distance the government from the scandal.

Same cops...different titles. Like renaming prison guards as "correctional officers".
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Typical political double-speak. Many places have already re-named their police departs "departments of public safety", a totally meaningless term since it does no such thing.

In this case, it's a political move to distance the government from the scandal.

Same cops...different titles. Like renaming prison guards as "correctional officers".
          It would probably allow for a purge though.
          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post

It would probably allow for a purge though.
            No..it won't. Police officers are hard enough to recruit and keep. Renaming them merely maintains the facade.

Comment

The city of Los Angeles just took $150 million from LAPD funding. That will hurt.

Comment

I get the impression they want to purge out white cops. This major dept change may force them to leave on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

I've been laughing about this plan all morning.

I desperately want them to do it and prove to the world that removing the police department will solve the city's problems.

I wondered if the city council had any actual authority to do this.

If I were a cop there I would start looking for a job somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure the criminals in Minneapolis were laughing harder than you were.

Comment

I get the impression they want to purge out white cops. This major dept change may force them to leave on their own.

Realistically, they cannot, mainly because all following "atrocities" will then be on the hands of their own, and thus inexplicable in any real terms.

What happens if the next Floyd is committed by a black cop?

Comment

They should do it....get rid of the police force as we know it....defund it elsewhere to the point of ineffectiveness.

Then we shall see the numbers for gun purchases and NRA membership reach for the Heavens. It will be the logical result.
                      You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Originally posted by asterix View Post
                        They should do it....get rid of the police force as we know it....defund it elsewhere to the point of ineffectiveness.

Then we shall see the numbers for gun purchases and NRA membership reach for the Heavens. It will be the logical result.
                        Agreed, but then California if famous for making bad decisions.

Comment

Agreed, but then California if famous for making bad decisions.
                          Such as recent "gun control" laws that in effect disarm law-abiding citizens while leaving criminals on the streets (and armed still).
                          TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

The city of Los Angeles just took $150 million from LAPD funding. That will hurt.
                            And that will do exactly what they don't want to do.

The first thing to get slashed is the training budget. So there wont be money for anything but the bare minimum. And the new cops coming in will have low training standards. So incompetence and poor practices will only be exacerbated.

second thing to get slashed is the equipment budget. So any new devices that might make us more accountable or capable without using physical violence.....nope.

Good job LA good job.
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Realistically, they cannot, mainly because all following "atrocities" will then be on the hands of their own, and thus inexplicable in any real terms.

What happens if the next Floyd is committed by a black cop?
                              Nothing changes. Doesn't matter if the cop is light blue or dark blue.....they're still blue.
                              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X