X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattis 'Denounces' Trump...

...on the handling of the protests...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp
    Former Defense Secretary James Mattis condemned President Trump over his handling of the protests against George Floyd's death in a fiery statement released Wednesday.

"I have watched this week's unfolding events, angry and appalled," Mattis wrote in a statement to The Atlantic.

"The words 'Equal Justice Under Law' are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand-one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers," he added.

Mattis goes on to slam Trump as trying to divide the American public.

"Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people-does not even pretend to try," he said.

We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

From your OP

“We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership.

Mattis reflects the same thing I said

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...87#post5197687

Originally posted by pamak

Also, I posted earlier how Trump' s earlier idiotic comments and actions created the ground for distrust and agitation which required just a spark for an explosion. From the way his DOJ handled the case of Eric Garner to the feud Trump created with Kaepernick, to the pardon of LEOs like Arpaio who ignored the courts in order to go after minorities, to his comments about how the "tough guys" are with him and all the other nonsense that Trump said when he was constantly trolling during the last (almost_4 years)...

And anybody with half a brain can understand that words are powerful and have consequences.

Good for Mattis. He never became Trump's minion.
    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

No, he didn't. And he is absolutely correct and Trump, as usual, is wrong. He is way out of his depth.
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Mattis is an ass, was fired for being incompetent, and now takes advantage of the current situation. Worthless!
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Auditioning for the VP slot?
          {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Mattis resigned-he wasn't 'fired.' That is Trump's spin on the subject and is, as usual, unreliable.

Mattis resigned over Trump's mistaken 'policy' towards Syria and his proposed withdrawal of the troops there.

Admiral Mullen has also written on the subject and his comments were similar to Mattis'. Trump is a danger to the country and the Consitution.

General Milley, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff also wrote a memo regarding loyalty to the Constitution and the armed forces to their oaths of service to the Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
              Auditioning for the VP slot?
              I doubt it. Mattis is acting as his conscience dictates-something Trump does not have.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                Mattis resigned-he wasn't 'fired.' That is Trump's spin on the subject and is, as usual, unreliable.

Mattis resigned over Trump's mistaken 'policy' towards Syria and his proposed withdrawal of the troops there.

Admiral Mullen has also written on the subject and his comments were similar to Mattis'. Trump is a danger to the country and the Consitution.

General Milley, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff also wrote a memo regarding loyalty to the Constitution and the armed forces to their oaths of service to the Constitution.
                Mattis was told to leave, he was fired!
                My worst jump story:
                No lie.

~
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

I doubt it. Mattis is acting as his conscience dictates-something Trump does not have.
                  Mattis is a loser, and everyone saw him for what he is.
                  My worst jump story:
                  No lie.

~
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

The resignation of Secretary Mattis. The letter is below and can be seen in the referenced news article. And your personal comments regarding General Mattis are incorrect as well as defamatory. In short, you are wrong (again). Mattis resigned, was not fired, and to repeatedly say that he was is ignoring the facts.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/20/polit...doc/index.html
                    Defense Secretary James Mattis resigned Thursday, a day after President Donald Trump's plans to withdraw troops from Syria became public.

Dear Mr. President:

I have been privileged to serve as our country's 26th Secretary of Defense which has allowed me to serve alongside our men and women of the Department in defense of our citizens and our ideals.

I am proud of the progress that has been made over the past two years on some of the key goals articulated in our National Defense Strategy: putting the Department on a more sound budgetary footing, improving readiness and lethality in our forces, and reforming the Department's business practices for greater performance. Our troops continue to provide the capabilities needed to prevail in conflict and sustain strong U.S. global influence.

One core belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships. While the US remains the indispensable nation in the free world, we cannot protect our interests or serve that role effectively without maintaining strong alliances and showing respect to those allies. Like you, I have said from the beginning that the armed forces of the United States should not be the policeman of the world. Instead, we must use all tools of American power to provide for the common defense, including providing effective leadership to our alliances. NATO's 29 democracies demonstrated that strength in their commitment to fighting alongside us following the 9-11 attack on America. The Defeat-ISIS coalition of 74 nations is further proof.

Similarly, I believe we must be resolute and unambiguous in our approach to those countries whose strategic interests are increasingly in tension with ours. It is clear that China and Russia, for example, want to shape a world consistent with their authoritarian model - gaining veto authority over other nations' economic, diplomatic, and security decisions - to promote their own interests at the expense of their neighbors, America and our allies. That is why we must use all the tools of American power to provide for the common defense.

My views on treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors are strongly held and informed by over four decades of immersion in these issues. We must do everything possible to advance an international order that is most conducive to our security, prosperity and values, and we are strengthened in this effort by the solidarity of our alliances.

Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position. The end date for my tenure is February 28, 2019, a date that should allow sufficient time for a successor to be nominated and confirmed as well as to make sure the Department's interests are properly articulated and protected at upcoming events to include Congressional posture hearings and the NATO Defense Ministerial meeting in February. Further, that a full transition to a new Secretary of Defense occurs well in advance of the transition of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in September in order to ensure stability Within the Department.I pledge my full effort to a smooth transition that ensures the needs and interests of the 2.15 million Service Members and 732,079 DoD civilians receive undistracted attention of the Department at all times so that they can fulfill their critical, round-the-clock mission to protect the American people.

I very much appreciate this opportunity to serve the nation and our men and women in uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post

I like Mattis, and when I saw it being reported that he "denounced" trump I was troubled by it.
                      Then when I read what he said my first thought was: "that's it"?

I stopped being concerned about mattis and wondered what the big deal was.
                      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post

Four Star General, national security adviseor and you call him a loser. Do you mind that I question your comment to be about the level as fish bait, botton dwellers?
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

We have a member that did TWO tours in Vietnam in the infantry, one as plt sgt and he doesn't come here spouting he was a combat vet, a real combat vet. He has my upmost respect for that.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

He didn't have the nickname mad dog without reason

The vast majority of people seem unable to deal with the fact that Western Civilization is in decline. I recommend reading "The Strange Death of Europe" by Douglas Murray

Civilizations are not built on enlightenment.

Civilization started with the adoption of agriculture which required people to give up the freedom to wander around and cooperate as the mood struck them. The prerequisites for civilization are it's ability to impose a harsh but stable environment that produces a voluntary compliance with a slow life history and extreme cooperation. It creates a situation where freedom becomes extremely abstract and is largely only appreciated by those capable of applying those abstractions.

Just as during the 60s what young people are protesting is the heavy hand of civilization. We did not evolve for a slow lifestyle and our emotionally at odds with civilization. We evolved to live fast and die young.

Because civilization is necessarily hierarchical they tend to become tyrannical over time. Luxus combined with tyranny seem to be the end state of most civilizations.

Bread and circus is a natural consequence of a tyrannical hierarchy where the establishment has the luxury to provide it. Those in power will try and buy off the disadvantaged and that is exactly what Mattis and the establishment is trying to do by catering to the emotions of those civilization has oppressed. I do not believe it is a conscious process but a natural byproduct of the environment.

The things that are generally associated with civilization are byproducts. Art, science, property, medicine, are not essential but rather correlations. Capitalism is in it's fullest sense not and economic system but a management system. It imposes self control, industriousness, a slow lifestyle, cooperation and all the other conditions for civilization and does so in a way that makes it voluntary.

Luxus tends to flip the equation on it's head and make form not function, the Yin, dominate. The Yin that is incompatible with capitalism. I wouldn't expect a general to grasp these subtleties.
                            We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

I like Mattis, and when I saw it being reported that he "denounced" trump I was troubled by it.
                              Then when I read what he said my first thought was: "that's it"?

I stopped being concerned about mattis and wondered what the big deal was.
                              Basically, he was fired by two Presidents; he couldn't accomplish tasks and, as such, he became the most overrated General ever.
                              My worst jump story:
                              No lie.

~
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X