Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate statue is removed

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/us/co...rnd/index.html

A controversial Confederate statue with its back to the north was removed in historic Old Town Alexandria

A spokesperson for the city told CNN in a statement that "the owner of the statue (United Daughters of the Confederacy) notified the City yesterday that they would remove the statue this morning."

That was the right move. Better late than never.

By the way, when I read the detail of the statue having its back to the north, the first thing that came to my mind was that this made absolute sense for an army that was retreating...
    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Maybe, maybe not, but there is no place in a real world for politically motivated revisionist history. What else should we remove from the national memory? How about Pearl Harbor? The Japanese sell millions of cars and electronics in America and are a major business partner.

We should absolutely erase all historical traces of slavery as it obviously promotes racism on both sides. Of course, that means removing the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial and many others, but it has to be done. Going to have to rename Washington, DC as well.

We'll have to remove all traces of the Native American battles on both sides, as well. Can't have those bad feelings floating around, either.

Why not just stop teaching history altogether?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Maybe, maybe not, but there is no place in a real world for politically motivated revisionist history. What else should we remove from the national memory? How about Pearl Harbor? The Japanese sell millions of cars and electronics in America and are a major business partner.

We should absolutely erase all historical traces of slavery as it obviously promotes racism on both sides. Of course, that means removing the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial and many others, but it has to be done. Going to have to rename Washington, DC as well.

We'll have to remove all traces of the Native American battles on both sides, as well. Can't have those bad feelings floating around, either.

Yeah, not enough absurdem in your reductio.

Comment

show-me-confederate-statue.jpg

{}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Anything that shows the defiance of the South after the war, as with the case of this statue, are among the worst offenders. It was former confederate soldiers with such defiance after the war who founded the KKK. So, yes remove them from public spaces. And this does not mean that they are removed from the national memory. If southerns do not know how to accomplish both, he can get lessons from the post WWII Germans.
          Last edited by pamak; 02 Jun 20, 19:07.
          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Where can I buy miniatures of this statue? The United States of America was built on defiance, not the false narrative of slavery being the founder of this country sold to people too stupid or lazy to ready actual history. What was the Confederacy contained original colonies that fought against Britain. Rebel Yell is a part of us.

If we are to respect current protests, than we also have to respect ALL protests in our pass history, any less than that is revisionism history and hypocrisy.
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
              Where can I buy miniatures of this statue? The United States of America was built on defiance, not the false narrative of slavery being the founder of this country sold to people too stupid or lazy to ready actual history. What was the Confederacy contained original colonies that fought against Britain. Rebel Yell is a part of us.

If we are to respect current protests, than we also have to respect ALL protests in our pass history, any less than that is revisionism history and hypocrisy.
              Defiance against those who abolished slavery is indeed appropriate to the American tradition since the US was founded on the idea of tolerating slavery. They even included that idea in the original US Constitution. So, anybody who does not understand that was too lazy or too stupid to actually understand what the original constitution meant when it talked about those people who counted as 3/5 of a person

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Fifths_Compromise

It seems people choose to support rebels only when it fits them. The guys who today do wayyy less than what confederate soldiers did in the past are rebels too. Still, I prefer to see some rebels as thugs or traitors and not honor them with statues.

And as a history lesson, the UNITED STATES Constitution was NOT established immediately after the Revolutionary War. It was established after and as a result of the 3/5 compromise. So, yes, slavery was one of the founding principles of the United States.
              Last edited by pamak; 02 Jun 20, 19:32.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
                I prefer to see some rebels as thugs or traitors and not honor them with statues.
                Most likely we're not going to consult you as to who we honor.

{}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
                  Most likely we're not going to consult you as to who we honor.

II am content with shooting down your excuses for honoring confederates .

Meanwhile, for this particular case, nobody had to consult you before removing the statue.

Comment

The irony is...

...the groups involved with the removal/destruction of Confederate monuments 'because of slavery' are Kissin' Cousins with the biggest enslavers the world has ever known.

{}

Comment

II am content with shooting down your excuses for honoring confederates .
                      Fat rat's ass...

{}

Comment

The irony is...

...the groups involved with the removal/destruction of Confederate monuments 'because of slavery' are Kissin' Cousins with the biggest enslavers the world has ever known.

If you actually read the OP, it says that

A spokesperson for the city told CNN in a statement that "the owner of the statue (United Daughters of the Confederacy) notified the City yesterday that they would remove the statue this morning

Now, if they were called "United Daughters of Communism," you could have made a valid point.

Comment

If you actually read the OP, it says that

A spokesperson for the city told CNN in a statement that "the owner of the statue (United Daughters of the Confederacy) notified the City yesterday that they would remove the statue this morning

Now, if they were called "United Daughters of Communism," you could have made a valid point.
                          I suppose they removed it to prevent it from being destroyed by the groups mentioned in my previous post.
                          {}

Comment

I suppose they removed it to prevent it from being destroyed by the groups mentioned in my previous post.
                            And this is still a good development for me.
                            Such temp changes often become permanent. After all, there is a gradual removal of confederate statues.

Comment

Who said it's being removed from history? When Germany took down Nazi statues did they remove Nazism and WW2 from history?
                              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                              - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X