Trump Declares 7 PM curfew in DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Declares 7 PM curfew in DC

In a speech a few minutes ago, President Trump declared a 7 PM curfew in DC. Most are probably aware, the President is Commander of the DC National Guard (since there is no governor). Of course, he controls federal resources directly.

I say good - a government must control its own capital.

------------------
    He then walked across the street to Saint John's church, which had been vandalized.

Walking with him, among others, Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, I think the Secretary of State.
    ========================
    Edit: The 7 pm curfew had already been declared by the DC's mayor.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Edit 2 : I re-watched Trump's speech. He said "our curfew" I had thought he said "a curfew"
    Last edited by lakechampainer; 01 Jun 20, 19:16.

Good for him. I hope it's enforced.
    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

I imagine it will be.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

He also had peaceful protestors outside of the White House gassed and then fired on with rubber bullets so he could walk to the nearby Episcopal Church with his minions to hold up a Bible. And that charade brought the condemnation of the Episcopal Bishop of Washington DC.

Trump wanted a photo-op and hurt people to do it who were exercising their Constitutional rights. There is no logical reason for Trump to have done this stupid act and it demonstrates that an idiot resides in the White House.

And Trump used the Bible as a prop for his 'photo op.' That is despicable.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ep...cid=spartanntp

The Right Rev. Mariann Budde, the Episcopal bishop of Washington, was seething.

President Trump had just visited St. John’s Episcopal Church, which sits across from the White House. It was a day after a fire was set in the basement of the historic building amid protests over the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police.

Before heading to the church, where presidents have worshiped since the days of James Madison, Trump gave a speech at the White House emphasizing the importance of law and order. Federal police officers then used force to clear a large crowd of peaceful demonstrators from the street between the White House and the church, apparently so Trump could make the visit.

“I am outraged,” Budde said in a telephone interview a short time later, pausing between words to emphasize her anger as her voice slightly trembled.

She said she had not been given any notice that Trump would be visiting the church, and did not approve of the manner in which the area was secured for his appearance.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...-ac360-vpx.cnn

Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde, who oversees St. John's Episcopal Church in Washington DC, responds to President Trump's photo-op at the church shortly after his remarks about the protests over the death of George Floyd.

We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Why did Trump order the police to gas and fire on peaceful protestors outside the White House?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

President Trump began mulling a visit to St. John’s Episcopal Church on Monday morning, after spending the night devouring cable news coverage of protests across the country, including in front of the White House.

The historic church had been damaged by fire, and Trump was eager to show that the nation’s capital — and especially his own downtown swath of it — was under control.

There was just one problem: the throngs of protesters, who on Monday had again assembled peacefully in Lafayette Square across from the White House to protest the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man who died in police custody in Minneapolis.

And so — shortly before the president addressed the nation from the Rose Garden at 6:43 p.m. Monday and roughly a half-hour before the District’s 7 p.m. curfew went into effect — authorities fired flash-bang shells, gas and rubber bullets into the crowd, clearing a path for Trump to visit the church immediately after his remarks.

The split screen as Trump began speaking was dark and foreboding — an angry leader proclaiming himself “an ally of all peaceful protesters” alongside smoke-filled mayhem and pandemonium as protesters raced for safety.

Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

As I said, my view is a country must control its own capital, certainly the immediate area of the seat of authority.

That being said, it was wrong to only give DC (and the territories) half the money for Covid 19 they would have got if they were a state. That is wrong, because

2. The people in DC and the territories are full Americans

1. In a realpolitik sense, in the case of DC, it doesn't make sense to alienate the people in your capital for no reason. My guess is that in most countries there is some benefit from being in the capital. Of course, there is a benefit for all the elites who feed from the trough, 99.9 % of them who live in Maryland or Virginia.

I have changed my mind on Congressional representation- I think DC and Puerto Rico at least deserve House representation - and by that I mean full representation - if they deserve two reps, they get two, or whatever.

I don't think they deserve Senate representation, though.

Link to article on money shortchanging.

https://wamu.org/story/20/03/25/d-c-...-city-leaders/

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...us-relief-bill
            Last edited by lakechampainer; 02 Jun 20, 07:48.

Comment

...agree with the congressional representation for DC and Puerto Rico...as well as other US possessions and territories.
              As to whatever the president was or was not thinking or doing ...

[ "President Trump began mulling a visit to St. John’s Episcopal Church on Monday morning, after spending the night devouring cable news coverage of protests across the country, including in front of the White House." ] - Massena

...who can say with any degree of accuracy or first hand knowledge?
              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post

[ "President Trump began mulling a visit to St. John’s Episcopal Church on Monday morning, after spending the night devouring cable news coverage of protests across the country, including in front of the White House." ] - Massena

...who can say with any degree of accuracy or first hand knowledge?
                It's from the Washington Post and it was on television yesterday. Take your pick-responsible reporting or deliberately having a peaceful crowd of demonstrators gassed and fired upon just to get a photo op holding a Bible.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

It's from the Washington Post and it was on television yesterday. Take your pick-responsible reporting or deliberately having a peaceful crowd of demonstrators gassed and fired upon just to get a photo op holding a Bible.
                  By the way, even though I am not practicing any religion, I still could see that the holding of the Bible like it was a magazine for a photoshop could be offensive to those who really value the book.

I read that the pastor of the church there was furious about the way Trump handled the holy book. I wonder if the silence about this issue here is because other religious Trump supporters did not find it offensive or if it is because religious supporters give Trump a pass even when he disrespects the Bible.
                  My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

And then we have the press secretary with her version of events:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Yet again, the White House says, President Trump is being taken out of context. After audio leaked of his phone call with governors Monday, the media played up Trump repeatedly urging the police and military to “dominate” in response to the unrest nationwide.

But White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said the president’s words were being twisted to be more provocative and violent than they actually were. “I’ve seen some networks that have talked about dominating protesters, and I’ve been around the president all day, and any time he’s used the word ‘dominate,’ it was in regard to dominating the streets and ensuring that we have peace in our streets,” she said.

Except that doesn’t totally fit with what Trump said. Nor does it accord with what would happen in Lafayette Square outside the White House just a few hours later.

Comment

"When the looting starts the shooting starts"

Very statesman like comment from your...
                      President Trumpet of the Americans?

The long toll of the brave
                      Is not lost in darkness
                      Over the fruitful earth
                      And athwart the seas
                      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

The local Democratic County Commissioner and Mayor declared a Curfew here. And both have supported the police. Traditional democratic Americans will save this country

Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                        Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                          "When the looting starts the shooting starts"

Very statesman like comment from your...
                          President Trumpet of the Americans?

Quoted post is an example of shameless gas lighting just to pile on the "Trump is so bad" mantra. His statement merely pointed out the reality of how things unfold when rioting is not controlled. The more room you give rioters, the bolder they get. Anyone with half a brain and a television or device that can view the mayhem in every riot KNOWS that.

Americans and Europeans are too soft. When Wuhan was declared to go into lockdown during the Corona outbreak, the people did not take it seriously. One woman tried to circumvent a police blockage going out of the city. The police shot her in the face and left her dead body on the road until her sobbing relatives heard about it and came to retrieve the body. No one else tried to disobey lockdown guidelines and orders after that.

Shoot the first looters on site and the rest will disperse faster than a flock of geese at the sound of the first shotgun blast.
                          Last edited by Salinator; 02 Jun 20, 18:33.
                          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Why did Trump order the police to gas and fire on peaceful protestors outside the White House?
                            Trump didn't order the police to gas and fire on peaceful protestors. Here is what really happened:

http://dlvr.it/RXrcQs

Not sure why the MSM is twisting this into something it wasn't

"I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

It is WaPo. ANYONE that does not know by now about Bezo's private crusade against Trump should really retire from from journalism and making comments in public. SMOKE canisters were fired because protesters attacked the US Park Police, not you freaking everyday Rambo clearing out a path for Dear Leader. Freaking TDS.
                              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X