Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA 2020 riots, more dangerous than ’68? comparisons & contrasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lakechampainer
    replied
    Some differences, not as bad now:

1. More deaths and damage in the 60s.

2. In 67/68 political assassinations, RFK, and MLK Jr. put more stress on the political system

3. 300 dead a week in SE Asia - although we have been in an endless war for two decades.

4. Internet, etc. with videos essentially allows everyone to see pictures. Although I would say there in the Vietnam War the public actually knew more about what was going on than we do now - there is no press coverage of "war on terror", except for the completely controlled "embedded" coverage.

5. I wasn't following the news in 1968, as I was 6, but I think there was more co-operation amongst people of good faith across the political aisle then. Very little or none of that now - a pox on both of their houses.

6. The space program -which I do remember - was a uniting force. Strange coincidence that we just returned to space after 9 years.

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall_Jack
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall_Jack
    replied

Cicero Looting Suspects Caught Hiding In Liquor Store

Here dozens of blacks are swarming and looting a liquor store...hope they all get arrested

http://Cicero Looting Suspects Caugh...n Liquor Store

Leave a comment:

• 17thfabn
    replied
    Originally posted by pamak View Post
    I do not have an opinion but those who do have one based on their childhood memories must consider how perceptions change over time as people grow up. Obviously, the same scene will register differently in the mind of a young child and in the mind of a grown man.
    I was about 6 when the riots that swept the U.S. hit here in the summer of 1967. I can remember the adults were very on edge. We had another, smaller riot in 68.

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall_Jack
    replied
    St. Louis police chief gets emotional talking about 4 officers shot during riots

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall_Jack
    replied
    Metro police officer shot in the head while arresting protester

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall_Jack
    replied
    (WARNING: Some viewers may find this content graphic. Viewer discretion is advised.) BUFFALO – Two New York State Troopers and a Buffalo Police officer working to contain protestors in the City of Buffalo were run over by an SUV on Monday night. New York State Police in a media release Tuesday morning said the incident happened around 10 p.m. when law enforcement was working to clear E-District on Bailey Avenue in Buffalo.

Police say a 2002 Ford Explorer traveling north in the southbound lane drove through their blockade, striking a Trooper, Buffalo Police Officer, and running over another trooper who was on the ground. Police on scene fire shots at the vehicle as it continued down the street. The SUV was eventually apprehended and while taking the operator into custody, police observed a they suffered a gunshot wound. Additionally, police said one of the passengers had a gunshot wound, the other had no injuries. The operator and passenger were taken to ECMC for non-life threatening injures. The Trooper who was run over was treated at ECMC for a shattered pelvis and a broken leg. The other Trooper, who had a hand/wrist injury, and Buffalo Police Officer were treated for minor injuries.

There is no institutional racism in the USA, other countries have those issues. The "hands up dont shoot" protesters are in the wrong and need to be stopped. God be with the policeman with the shattered pelvis. I fully support the police, and stand for equality among man as Christianity and Islam teach.

NYC saw big groups of blacks smashing store windows and looting, they disgrace the great history of Africa. Most Americans black and white are not chanting hands up dont shoot....they want to get back to work.

We need counter protesters

Leave a comment:

• pamak
    replied
    I do not have an opinion but those who do have one based on their childhood memories must consider how perceptions change over time as people grow up. Obviously, the same scene will register differently in the mind of a young child and in the mind of a grown man.

Leave a comment:

• 17thfabn
    replied
    Originally posted by Massena View Post
    What about the far-right and the white supremacists? Are they not involved? Or, are they sacrosanct because Trump supports them?
    Is some one defending them?

If some one or group is found stirring them up this mess bring the full power of state and federal law enforcement against them. I don't care if they are antifa, nazi, sds, kkk, communist, anarchist or the radical wing of the elks lodge.

Leave a comment:

• pamak
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

The Mayor of Atlanta was the first to claim that white supremist had infiltrated the Antifa group.Why couldn't they? Do you think they do background checks>
    And tweeter announced also the suspension of an account which falsely claimed an ANTIFA ID even thought the founders were white supremacists

https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...ionalist-group

Twitter takes down fake antifa account linked to white nationalist group

In this digital world, such dual "membership" happens often. Personally, I would not be surprised if more foreign actors, including from countries like China and Russia try to exploit the situation by inciting even more violence. And the key word is "exploit" which should not be confused with a claim that foreign actors and white supremacists created the whole situation with the violence and looting that we see.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied

Dual membership? The far-right groups are the antithesis of Antifa, as Antifa is far-left...

This is an interesting article and not surprising at all:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in...cid=spartandhp

“What did I tell you?” a voice cried out as the camera recording mayhem in downtown Pittsburgh settled on a white man, clad in all black, smashing the windows of a police vehicle.

“It is not black people,” the onlooker called to the crowd before addressing the vandal directly: “What are you doing?”

What he was doing, authorities later alleged, was inciting riots on Saturday as the city — like dozens of others across America — was swept up in sustained unrest over the death of a black man in police custody. Demonstrations have spread from Minneapolis, where a white police officer pinned his knee on the neck of George Floyd, to scores of cities, some of which have been looted and set ablaze.

Police identified Brian Jordan Bartels, 20, of Allison Park, Pa., as having “kicked off” the escalation in Pittsburgh, one of several examples of peaceful assemblies against police violence creating opportunities for pandemonium. While at heart the gatherings have been an appeal for racial justice, they also have attracted a diverse array of people with other grievances and agendas who have co-opted the moment, accelerating what has been a national unraveling as the country reels from a pandemic that has put more than 40 million people out of work.

The Mayor of Atlanta was the first to claim that white supremist had infiltrated the Antifa group.Why couldn't they? Do you think they do background checks>

Leave a comment:

• Massena
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

Not at all. They are just as bad, and probably have dual membership in Antifa as they goal is to cause unrest and discontent.
    Dual membership? The far-right groups are the antithesis of Antifa, as Antifa is far-left...

This is an interesting article and not surprising at all:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in...cid=spartandhp

“What did I tell you?” a voice cried out as the camera recording mayhem in downtown Pittsburgh settled on a white man, clad in all black, smashing the windows of a police vehicle.

“It is not black people,” the onlooker called to the crowd before addressing the vandal directly: “What are you doing?”

What he was doing, authorities later alleged, was inciting riots on Saturday as the city — like dozens of others across America — was swept up in sustained unrest over the death of a black man in police custody. Demonstrations have spread from Minneapolis, where a white police officer pinned his knee on the neck of George Floyd, to scores of cities, some of which have been looted and set ablaze.

Police identified Brian Jordan Bartels, 20, of Allison Park, Pa., as having “kicked off” the escalation in Pittsburgh, one of several examples of peaceful assemblies against police violence creating opportunities for pandemonium. While at heart the gatherings have been an appeal for racial justice, they also have attracted a diverse array of people with other grievances and agendas who have co-opted the moment, accelerating what has been a national unraveling as the country reels from a pandemic that has put more than 40 million people out of work.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by johns624 View Post

Wrong. 1967. And to the OP--today's aren't even close to those. I was 8 at the time of the Detroit riots and remember them well.
    I'm sure there were areas more impacted in 1967 than 1968, but 1968 seems to be the worse year for riots.

Comparing 2020 to 1968 offers some disquieting lessons for the present. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...so-far/612415/
    No, This Isn’t as Bad as 1968 (So Far) https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...-so-far-294187
    A timeline of 1968 https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...mic-180967503/

However, since I couldn't have been there I can only go by the articles I've read. They do suggest that 1968 was overall more destructive than 1967.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    What about the far-right and the white supremacists? Are they not involved? Or, are they sacrosanct because Trump supports them?
    Not at all. They are just as bad, and probably have dual membership in Antifa as they goal is to cause unrest and discontent.

Leave a comment:

• Massena
    replied

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X