Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA 2020 riots, more dangerous than ’68? comparisons & contrasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA 2020 riots, more dangerous than ’68? comparisons & contrasts?

USA 2020 riots, more dangerous than ’68? Comparisons? contrasts?

1968 .....Hmmmm ……. that’s the year that’s always used as a benchmark isn’t it.

I recall one historian o
    r commentator saying words to the effect that the USA went through too much history for one year in 1968 (and no I’m not really interested in the exact quote - I’m a masterful broad-brush artiste to whom exact quotes are of little import….unless I say so)

Now we have 2020 and the comparisons (and the contrasts) interest me ….and ergo should matter to the rest of you!:

. A house divided. With both sides demonized and repulsed by the other.

. A president under siege.

. Domestic and foreign policy crises

. The perennial issue of ‘a crisis of national identity’ once again to the fore

. Divisive and all-consuming ‘cultural wars’

. A battle of slogans (Love it or leave /vs Change it or lose it – Proud to be an American vs I can’t breathe

Good grief what a mess!

And overlaid by the by the oldest elephant in the American room …. Thanks to the undigested consequences of the Civil War ….you guys are still not Brazilians

Good grief what a mess!

If Trump is Johnson let’s pray Biden’s not Nixon!
    (and yes I get that Trump is in some ways much more Nixon than Johnson)

Regards
    lodestar

lodestar was called a man with no honour, no courage, no integrity and no honesty. To which he replied: "Hey, you forgot to add no moral compass!! How could you miss that one?"

Regards
    lodestar

First of all our major riots were in 1967, not in 68, and we were shot at in Detroit,I know this because I was there ,please post about things You know about and not what you read about.
    Last edited by Trung Si; 31 May 20, 21:01.
    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
      First of all our major riots were in 1967, not in 68, and we were shot at in Detroit,I know this because I was there ,please post about things You know about and not what you read about.
      Wow TS you ARE old. While I was just born that summer. My boss/friend (and another friend)/mentor was living in Detroit at that time, and boarded up with the only weapons they had on hand; a musket and an old sabre.

It is interesting this time around, the rioters that are being arrested in Detroit are mainly white, and are coming from the more well to do outlying communities of the Detroit metropolitan area.

In the meantime I suspect the Governor would like a return of all those armed conservative protesters from the past month. Today the Governor's Office in Lansing was attacked and had some windows smashed in.

It is clear that the Floyd protests have been taken over by organized (and likely well funded) professional rioters.
      Last edited by Tuebor; 01 Jun 20, 00:37.

Comment

Not there yet. I don't think we'll see the worst of it until after the cop is let off, which I personally believer will happen.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

It's interesting to make the comparison.

​​​​I'm not sure we should start with 1968 however. Why not the bread and circus riots of Rome. Assuming that there is some sort of logic to riots is probably a mistake. If anything the more welfare is dispensed the less it is appreciated, dependency is an unpleasant and degrading experience.
          We hunt the hunters

Comment

Its 1967 people; NOT 1968!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
              Its 1967 people; NOT 1968!
              Iirc, the largest riots were in 1968 after Martin Luther King was assassinated.
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Not only were the major organized riots in 1967, us draftees were getting riot control training before we were sent to Vietnam in 1966. In addition, the military had to deal with snipers in Detroit.

Locally, those professional rioters worked their way north up the I-75 corridor trashing each city along the way. Saginaw's Mayor Marsh, who happened to be Black, told all the store merchants to arm themselves to protect their businesses. When those professional rioters saw that there were armed people protecting their property, the march North ended. Those cowards turned tail and fled back to Detroit. They were not willing to die for the right to destroy property.
                “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                  Not only were the major organized riots in 1967, us draftees were getting riot control training before we were sent to Vietnam in 1966. In addition, the military had to deal with snipers in Detroit.

Locally, those professional rioters worked their way north up the I-75 corridor trashing each city along the way. Saginaw's Mayor Marsh, who happened to be Black, told all the store merchants to arm themselves to protect their businesses. When those professional rioters saw that there were armed people protecting their property, the march North ended. Those cowards turned tail and fled back to Detroit. They were not willing to die for the right to destroy property.
                  The demonstrations and riots of the period 1965, beginning with Watts, and into 1970, were divided between racial problems and the anti-war movement. The latter had a significant portion of the various groups in treasonous correspondence with the North Vietnamese and actively supported them in the US.
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                  Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                  To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

Wrong. 1967. And to the OP--today's aren't even close to those. I was 8 at the time of the Detroit riots and remember them well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

No, I was there as well, we operated out of Ft McNair and the DC riots were of no comparison to Detroit!
                      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

In the summer of 1967, I fell and broke my arm. As the riots were winding down, my mother had to take me to downtown Detroit to get the cast taken off. I remember driving down Grand River Ave and there was a 3/4 ton army truck next to us with a few soldiers in back. They were standing up and had an M60 MG supported on the cover hoops. I exclaimed "look Mom, they have a machine gun" (I was 8 and thought it was cool) and she replied with trepidation "yeah".
                        My older brothers were at summer camp in PA and flew home the day the riots started. We picked them up at the airport and they told us about all the pollution over Detroit because of all the smoke. It wasn't until we were driving home that my Dad turned on the radio and found out it wasn't pollution, but smoke from fires.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post

Wrong. 1967. And to the OP--today's aren't even close to those. I was 8 at the time of the Detroit riots and remember them well.
                          You dare contradict the divine and sentient lodestar! Impertinent whelp!!

I didn't say the 68 riots were the worst. Just that it was a turbulent year for the US and asked if the 'state of the nation', the temper and ambiance of 1968 and 2020 are in some ways comparable?

Lift your intellectual horizons, stop nitpicking and discuss the broader picture (cultural wars, national identity crisis, weaponisation of various communication platforms and identity politics, a love him or hate him president, national divisiveness).

ya hip to that dude?

Hop on board the lodestar moped and ride with him to triumph ....... or ...oblivion!

My history professors had an informal motto back in my Uni days which went something like:
                          'Straight answers to straight questions are for idiots and cowards, you're here to learn how to think not what to think!'

Regards
                          lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post

I didn't say the 68 riots were the worst. Just that it was a turbulent year for the US and asked if the 'state of the nation', the temper and ambiance of 1968 and 2020 are in some ways comparable?
                            Obviously, your professor didn't teach you how to own up to your own mistakes.

Comment

a big contributing factor to these riots is unemployment due to COVID. Who has time to do this self indulgent BS?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Robi P.
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                                Today, 02:27
                              • casanova
                                Beirut
                                by casanova
                                Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                Today, 00:47
                              • casanova
                                Nuclear battleheads.
                                by casanova
                                A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                                Yesterday, 23:58
                              Working...
                              X