Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US LEOs deliberately targeting journalists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US LEOs deliberately targeting journalists?

Bellingcat: US Law Enforcement Are Deliberately Targeting Journalists During George Floyd Protests https://www.bellingcat.com/news/amer...loyd-protests/

Guardian: George Floyd protests: reporters targeted by police and crowds https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ice-and-crowds

Jerusalem Post:US police targets dozens of journalists during protests https://www.jpost.com/international/...rotests-629851

Vogue: “I Have Never Been Fired at By Police Until Tonight” – Journalists Covering Protests Find They Too Are Targets https://www.vogue.com/article/journa...ering-protests

As Hennessy concluded, "I’ve covered protests involving police in Ferguson, Mo., Baton Rouge, La., Dallas and Los Angeles. I’ve also covered the U.S. military in war zones, including Iraq and Afghanistan. I have never been fired at by police until tonight
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Nope. So-called "journalists" getting in the way and assuming that they have invulnerability in violent situations, exacerbated by the fact that they are there to smear the LEO's in the first place and not to report the facts. It's called "embedding".

Those who go in harms way must expect to be harmed.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Why are the journalists being referred to 'so-called'?

Imbedded journalists are assigned to a unit and report from there. Usually it applies to those assigned to a miltary unit during wartime.

Imbedded journalists are not there to 'smear the LEO's'

Where do you come up with this nonsense?
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Yes, reporters are being targeted and it is doing far more harm than good.

I don't doubt there are some reporters who are mixing in amongst the crowds, are difficult to identify and perhaps have been honestly accidently targeted.

However in other cases it seems clear that multi-person obvious media teams are being intentionally targeted.

The Australian Nine news crew is a professional group with obvious professional equipment (and I'd guess appropriate paperwork).

I watch that news program (and others) and they are certainly not a left wing pro-protestor show.

Of course we only see what the news team is sending us, but other stories by that news show has had crews (especially the crew in LA working with the police and being within police lines.

Unless the Minneapolis police can provide real evidence that the news crew was doing something wrong, that incident has damaged the reputation of the US police forces even more.

Handcuffing them seems amazingly stupid, so much so that it is getting to the point that any claim by the protestors about bad behaviour by the police is more likely to be believed now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Nope. So-called "journalists" getting in the way and assuming that they have invulnerability in violent situations, exacerbated by the fact that they are there to smear the LEO's in the first place and not to report the facts. It's called "embedding".

Those who go in harms way must expect to be harmed.

Getting in the way, based on what RW lunatic source?

https://www.inquirer.com/news/nation...-20200529.html

CNN viewers witnessed police officers surrounding the journalists as Jimenez repeatedly said they would go where ordered. "Wherever you'd want us, we will go," he said. "We were just getting out of your way when you were advancing through the intersection, so just let us know and we got you."

Jimenez then turned to narrate the scene when an officer told him he was under arrest. Jimenez was zip-tied by his wrists and led away.

The person in charge there was so retarded that he let his men arrest the journalists on live TV and show clearly that the arrest was completely unjustified.
          Last edited by pamak; 31 May 20, 17:30.
          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

We've all seen plenty of videos where the journalists were part of the problem, especially when their presence encourages the behavior of the criminals.

If you elect to go in harms way, take your lumps like a man. There's no whining and crying in journalism.

Tell us something, Pamak...would you become a LEO in these violent times? If not, then have a little sympathy for their willingness to risk it all for no gain. I don;t see the mayor out there confronting the rioters, and it's his city.

Comment

We've all seen plenty of videos where the journalists were part of the problem, especially when their presence encourages the behavior of the criminals.

If you elect to go in harms way, take your lumps like a man. There's no whining and crying in journalism.

Tell us something, Pamak...would you become a LEO in these violent times? If not, then have a little sympathy for their willingness to risk it all for no gain. I don;t see the mayor out there confronting the rioters, and it's his city.

I gave you a specific video in which a CNN journalist addressed police officers on live TV and clearly told them that he was willing to go wherever they would tell him to go. This example cannot be refuted by what you claim that you have seen in "other videos." Once more, your sources are proven to be unreliable in presenting an accurate picture of current events and ignore videos which do not fit their narrative.

There is no reason to have any sympathy for any LEO who arrests without reason a journalist. Will you give a pass to a LEO who will try for no reason to confiscate your gun? Journalists, too, are protected by the Bill of Rights, and this is especially important in these violent times when the state elevates its use of police force.
              Last edited by pamak; 31 May 20, 18:33.
              My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Just speaking for myself, If I were reporting about a riot, I sure and heck would not be standing with the rioters. Just saying, you are making the police officers job even more difficult .
                I'd say the same is true in a war zone, if you are embedded with a US military unit you don't stand next to the enemy or bad things will happen.
                A little common sense would go a long ways, Get out of the way and let the officers do what they are paid to do, I'd say that to the politicians as well. It's time to shut up and get out of the way and let the chips fall.
                Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                  Just speaking for myself, If I were reporting about a riot, I sure and heck would not be standing with the rioters. Just saying, you are making the police officers job even more difficult .
                  I'd say the same is true in a war zone, if you are embedded with a US military unit you don't stand next to the enemy or bad things will happen.
                  A little common sense would go a long ways, Get out of the way and let the officers do what they are paid to do, I'd say that to the politicians as well. It's time to shut up and get out of the way and let the chips fall.
                  One of Murphy's Laws Of Warfare:

Never stand near anyone who is drawing fire.

Comment

There should be common sense on BOTH sides and the state should give journalist enough freedom to track sensitive events which involve the application of state police powers.. Riots are not choreographed based on predictable crowd movement.
                    And journalists are often embedded on the other side. We all recall how CNN journalists were covering the first Gulf War from Baghdad.

Comment

One of Murphy's Laws Of Warfare:

Never stand near anyone who is drawing fire.
                      BINGO!
                      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

BINGO!
                        Problem is that if you follow through the sources you will see several instances where the journalists were not accidentally hit but instead deliberately targeted. In that case it doesn't matter where you stand if the US LEO's see high-visibility vests with tag 'PRESS' the same as 'TARGET'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wall_of_silence <- that is part of the real problem. Lack of people with enough honesty and spine to stand up for what is right even at a personal cost. Until you can break that you will have a problem with people distrusting the police, and to be honest with such practice still regularly occurring (several recent recorded instances of such prove that part) why would they trust the police?
                        It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                          Problem is that if you follow through the sources you will see several instances where the journalists were not accidentally hit but instead deliberately targeted. In that case it doesn't matter where you stand if the US LEO's see high-visibility vests with tag 'PRESS' the same as 'TARGET'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wall_of_silence <- that is part of the real problem. Lack of people with enough honesty and spine to stand up for what is right even at a personal cost. Until you can break that you will have a problem with people distrusting the police, and to be honest with such practice still regularly occurring (several recent recorded instances of such prove that part) why would they trust the police?
                          There are video news coverage just today where thugs and mobs are taking equipment out of police cars including coats and partial uniforms. How do the police know the news crew are actually legitimate?
                          it's this simple, film from a safe distance, stay away from the rioters. This situation will not end peacefully. The only thing that will end this is force.
                          Declare a 24hr curfew, anyone on the street will be arrested. Period. Set up check points leaving each of these cities, confiscate vehicles. Take these SOBs to the nearest military brig and let them cool off for six months.
                          We have high frequency crowd control devices, it's time to use them. Melt some ears, I have no sympathy for these low lifes.

Comment

There are video news coverage just today where thugs and mobs are taking equipment out of police cars including coats and partial uniforms. How do the police know the news crew are actually legitimate?
                            it's this simple, film from a safe distance, stay away from the rioters. This situation will not end peacefully. The only thing that will end this is force.
                            Declare a 24hr curfew, anyone on the street will be arrested. Period. Set up check points leaving each of these cities, confiscate vehicles. Take these SOBs to the nearest military brig and let them cool off for six months.
                            We have high frequency crowd control devices, it's time to use them. Melt some ears, I have no sympathy for these low lifes.
                            They approach and ask for an ID. Filming should be from a distance that is convenient for both the police and the journalists. Safe distance with tear gas means no sight of what is happening.
                            And exactly because this thing will end up with force, the journalists have to be in the front line so that the police are always alert that they are still held accountable for their conduct.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

They approach and ask for an ID. Filming should be from a distance that is convenient for both the police and the journalists. Safe distance with tear gas means no sight of what is happening.
                              And exactly because this thing will end up with force, the journalists have to be in the front line so that the police are always alert that they are still held accountable for their conduct.
                              Hogwash, journalists that demand to stand next to the rioters are aiding and abetting. I have been watching riots in the US since the 1960s, TV crew have always worked from a safe distance, Areas designated by law enforcement.
                              No more coddling .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X