• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadly force

Concerning the acts such as this recently:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bystander...121209185.html

When are citizenry authorized to "intervene?"

If George Floyd was YOUR family member, what would you have done?

The rule observed by the courts is when you fear for your life or safety,or that of your loved ones. Interfering in an outside event is dicey without the "direct threat" element,thanks to the courts' and lawyers' love of felons.

Personally, better safe than sorry, and better the death of a stranger than of myself or a loved one. Not my job to sort out motive or anything else. Their job not to show up on my radar as a threat.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

If he were my family member, there'd likely be a dead cop, and a dead me from the responses of the others. He might or might not still be alive. I'd likely be legally wrong, but I'd be completely morally justified.

We, the people, deputized law enforcement to use force in our name. There is no moral justification for police to use more force than the subject uses or threatens to use. We have allowed them to do so far too long and far too often, increasingly (apparently) over the course of my lifetime. I guess it might have something to do with the shift from peace officers to law enforcement officers, but that might not be causative.

At this point, it might be better to disband most of our police departments and start over, with new cultures and organizations, at least in the bigger cities. In many of the rural areas, most citizens are self-reliant (or reliant on the generally law abiding characteristics of most people) for protection anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 82redleg View Post
        If he were my family member, there'd likely be a dead cop, and a dead me from the responses of the others. He might or might not still be alive. I'd likely be legally wrong, but I'd be completely morally justified.

We, the people, deputized law enforcement to use force in our name. There is no moral justification for police to use more force than the subject uses or threatens to use. We have allowed them to do so far too long and far too often, increasingly (apparently) over the course of my lifetime. I guess it might have something to do with the shift from peace officers to law enforcement officers, but that might not be causative.

At this point, it might be better to disband most of our police departments and start over, with new cultures and organizations, at least in the bigger cities. In many of the rural areas, most citizens are self-reliant (or reliant on the generally law abiding characteristics of most people) for protection anyway.
        You would have to disband the entire government, and the state governments, before you could even begin to attack the problem of law enforcement, and the decay in our civilization which has led to this state.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post

you people are sick. It's the reason why these sort of issues don't stop.
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
            - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

The legal team representing Floyd's family is also part of the team representing the family of Ahmaud Arbery.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

you people are sick. It's the reason why these sort of issues don't stop.
                LeBron James was the first to post that pic. Is he sick?
                Check his Twitter feed. Millions support it.

His exact words: “This… Is Why.” The basketball star also captioned the photo with “Do you understand NOW!!??!!?? Or is it still blurred to you??”

Comment

Eric Gardner 2.0

If police officers like that pos in NYC do not face criminal charges for the way they act, it should not be a surprise to see the repetition of similar behavior.

The culture of excessive use of force is alive and well. After the NYC officer was fired, the NYPD Commissioner had the nerve to tell in public that

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49399302

""It is clear that Daniel Pantaleo can no longer serve as a New York City police officer," Mr O'Neill said.

"Had I been in Officer Pantaleo's situation, I may have made similar mistakes,"

If you think that in Pantaleo's situation (5 fit police guys against a single overweight person), you may have done a similar mistake, you need to resign. Such statement shows the pathetic culture of low expectations regarding decent low enforcement conduct.
                  My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

The legal team representing Floyd's family is also part of the team representing the family of Ahmaud Arbery.
                    They ought dump Krump.. Get a better lawyer. That Krump guy is looking to get as much money from states and police agencies as he can and he sure is wrong about Arbery.

Whats the background of this recent case? Why was the victim arrested and did he have a weapon? Was it police brutality?
                    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post

They ought dump Krump.. Get a better lawyer. That Krump guy is looking to get as much money from states and police agencies as he can and he sure is wrong about Arbery.

Whats the background of this recent case? Why was the victim arrested and did he have a weapon? Was it police brutality?
                      Your thoughts and "certainty" regarding Arbery belong to a different thread and they have been challenged there. Anyway, I am sure some people are already going over the criminal record of this black guy in their attempt to discredit him and defend the way he was treated. For Gardner it was selling illegally cigarettes. For Arbery it was trespassing in a construction site.
                      Last edited by pamak; 27 May 20, 20:00.
                      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

LeBron James was the first to post that pic. Is he sick?
                        Check his Twitter feed. Millions support it.

His exact words: “This… Is Why.” The basketball star also captioned the photo with “Do you understand NOW!!??!!?? Or is it still blurred to you??”

This is not the picture Lebron posted. They're two different pictures. The one you posted came from a right wing meme that was supposed to be some sort of sick joke. Your track record on such matters makes it easy to see through the BS.
                        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                        - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Your thoughts and "certainty" regarding Arbery belong to a different thread and they have been challenged there. Anyway, I am sure some people are already going over the criminal record of this black guy in their attempt to discredit him and defend the way he was treated. For Gardner it was selling illegally cigarettes. For Arbery it was trespassing in a construction site.
                          Nikki brought up Arbery and the fact his lawyer is representing the victim in this new case. My response was valid.

Im looking for a video and background to this case as described in the OP. As we attempt to get to the bottom its important to use reason and logic, not let emotions drive the case.

Its wrong to generalize against whites or blacks, as its wrong to generalize against democrats or Muslims. We need to watch out for the media(for ratings probably) having guests on who use anti American terms such as white America this or that, or generalizing against the police. And media outlets have done this before, having guests on whom use anti American sayings such as "whites need to step it up" no different then saying "Muslims need to step it up"

If the cop pictured is guilty its on him, not all whites and not all police. Thats all its about justice
                          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

This is not the picture Lebron posted. They're two different pictures. The one you posted came from a right wing meme that was supposed to be some sort of sick joke. Your track record on such matters makes it easy to see through the BS.
                            Actually, you are wrong regarding the source being a meme attempting some sort of sick joke.

You can easily verify the source of the picture that Nikki posted by right-clicking on it.

It gives the following link

https://www.dailydot.com/wp-content/...d-1024x512.jpg

and this comes from the following

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/lebron-...e-floyd-death/

LeBron James shares Colin Kaepernick photo to protest George Floyd’s death

If you right-click the picture at the top of the second link, you will see the same address

I did not see any meme and any attempt for any joke. It is just that the point that was made flew over your head.
                            Last edited by pamak; 27 May 20, 20:30.

Comment

I get it, I finally understand.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder." — Colin Kaepernick, Aug. 26, 2016

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X