X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening the Churches

Trump has no legal authority to override governors:

1.https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...k-in-politics/

President Trump told reporters at an impromptu White House Briefing that he will override state governors if they didn't open places of worship this weekend. However, President Trump does not have the legal authority to override governors.

2.https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/0...k-in-politics/

A White House reporter fired back at White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany during questioning about President Trump saying he will 'override' governors who do not allow churches and places of worship to remain open.

3.https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/opini...eck/index.html

President Donald Trump announced on Friday that he considers houses of worship and their religious services essential. I won't argue that point. Although obviously not essential for all, they are deemed so by some. Fair enough.

He went on: "The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important essential places of faith to open right now, this weekend. If they don't do it, I will override the governors."

But who says that religious organizations haven't already been providing "essential" services without this presidential "blessing?" I am a Roman Catholic priest in the Passionist Community serving, at the moment, in New York. During this pandemic I have buried the dead at cemeteries — with limited family members present. I have prayed with people via FaceTime and Zoom. I even heard a confession in a supermarket parking lot.
    Priests with whom I live have blessed the sick and dying in hospitals and nursing homes. We have also celebrated virtual Masses and prayer services for countless of the faithful.

We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

If our church opens up, I ain't going! But, I would not want to be the "decider" on the call to open, no matter which way it goes, your wrong.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
      Trump has no legal authority to override governors:

1.https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...k-in-politics/

President Trump told reporters at an impromptu White House Briefing that he will override state governors if they didn't open places of worship this weekend. However, President Trump does not have the legal authority to override governors.

2.https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/0...k-in-politics/

A White House reporter fired back at White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany during questioning about President Trump saying he will 'override' governors who do not allow churches and places of worship to remain open.

3.https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/opini...eck/index.html

President Donald Trump announced on Friday that he considers houses of worship and their religious services essential. I won't argue that point. Although obviously not essential for all, they are deemed so by some. Fair enough.

He went on: "The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important essential places of faith to open right now, this weekend. If they don't do it, I will override the governors."

But who says that religious organizations haven't already been providing "essential" services without this presidential "blessing?" I am a Roman Catholic priest in the Passionist Community serving, at the moment, in New York. During this pandemic I have buried the dead at cemeteries — with limited family members present. I have prayed with people via FaceTime and Zoom. I even heard a confession in a supermarket parking lot.
      Priests with whom I live have blessed the sick and dying in hospitals and nursing homes. We have also celebrated virtual Masses and prayer services for countless of the faithful.

Here, I will disagree. While in practice, it may be difficult for any president to override a decision by a governor without some deployment of federal troops, still If a state encroaches on people's constitutional rights, the federal government can (in fact it has an obligation) to try to intervene. So, the real question is if a restriction now that affects the practice of religion can be justified in courts based on some overriding concern of public safety. A month ago, my CA governor could make a good case for such restrictions but today his case is way weaker. I think the California governor realizes that, and he is already negotiating with religious leaders who are willing to follow SD protocol during religious gatherings (from what I have heard).
      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Here, I will disagree. While in practice, it may be difficult for any president to override a decision by a governor without some deployment of federal troops, still If a state encroaches on people's constitutional rights, the federal government can (in fact it has an obligation) to try to intervene. So, the real question is if a restriction now that affects the practice of religion can be justified in courts based on some overriding concern of public safety. A month ago, my CA governor could make a good case for such restrictions but today his case is way weaker. I think the California governor realizes that, and he is already negotiating with religious leaders who are willing to follow SD protocol during religious gatherings (from what I have heard).
        And for once, you nailed it.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

The bottom line here is that the president has no authority to overrule the state governors.
          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

The bottom line here is that the president has no authority to overrule the state governors.
            Presidents have overridden Governors’ authority in the past, using troops where necessary to protect constructional rights.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock_Nine
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

But he can take them to court and enforce the constitution.

Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

He does. In God We Trump
                My worst jump story:
                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                No lie.

~
                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

That's the correct way to proceed. Unfortunately, Trump usually does not follow the law or precedent of the office.

However, the question is, has the Constitution been violated? That is for a court to decide, not Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

Presidents have overridden Governors’ authority in the past, using troops where necessary to protect constructional rights.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock_Nine
                    That was one state this s how many...
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

That was one state this s how many...
                      How large is the 101st?
                      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                        If our church opens up, I ain't going! But, I would not want to be the "decider" on the call to open, no matter which way it goes, your wrong.
                        lol I agree I wouldn't want to be THE GUY. overall as I talk to people in rl about this I go the problem is you cant prove a negative. So if ya do close things down you cant prove you did the right thing on the other hand if ya open back up and things go bad that is quantifiable.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

lol which is funny because state rights and things like that conservatives talk about.

Comment

The bottom line is governors cannot trample on our 1st amendment rights. I'm glad Trump intervened.

Comment

That's the correct way to proceed. Unfortunately, Trump usually does not follow the law or precedent of the office.

However, the question is, has the Constitution been violated? That is for a court to decide, not Trump.
                              It's a simple sentence. Not too hard to see the clear violation.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X