No announcement yet.

Video emerges of black jogger killed by 2 white men; case heads to grand jury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video emerges of black jogger killed by 2 white men; case heads to grand jury

The last video of Ahmaud Arbery is difficult to watch.

The graphic footage, recorded Feb. 23 by one of three white men in pursuit of Arbery, shows the moment when the 25-year-old black man, whose family said he was out for a routine jog near his Georgia home, was gunned down by an armed father and son -- one of whom is a former police officer.

A grand jury will now decide if the men, who claim the shooting was in self-defense during a citizen’s arrest, will face criminal charges. Meanwhile, the final images of Arbery’s life have stoked nationwide outrage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...outputType=amp

There was a video in this case. But it took a few months to arrest the two men Travis and Greg McMichael in connection with the shooting of Mr Arbery.

In court we will see what the defendants plead whether guilty or not guilty. Even Fox News is labeling this as a black man killed by two white men which is interesting in itself. The man charged with murder is a father-son combo and the father was a former police officer. There’s also talk of arresting the man who filmed the entire incident.

Allegedly three men The father and son combo and one who is filming the incident... thought that Mr Arbery was a burglar and therefore decided to follow him and confront the man with weapons. All the video shows or at least the video I have seen is of a scuffle where Mr. Arbery is attempting to wrestle a shotgun from Travis At one point Travis fires a number of shots into Mr. Arbery killing the man.... Apparently the father son combo we’re trying to make a citizens arrest. The question is was Mr. Arbery going for a jog in the neighborhood or was he some sort of a burglar?
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

329 million people lends itself to a lot of messed up people and a lot of messed up events.
    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
      The question is was Mr. Arbery going for a jog in the neighborhood or was he some sort of a burglar?
      ....really? That's the question you are asking?
      Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post

....really? That's the question you are asking?
        Thats what the judge and Jury must decide. The shooter and his dad whom was a Cop..walked free for two months prior to being arrested.

George S Patton

Comment

Seems about as reasonable as anything coming out of la la land at the moment
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post

Thats what the judge and Jury must decide. The shooter and his dad whom was a Cop..walked free for two months prior to being arrested.
            true.
            I saw the video, but couldn't see what the victim did when he ran around the front of the truck.
            Whether he was a burglar or not won't really be relevant. The issue will be whether the shooter had a reasonable fear that he faced imminent harm.
            The fact the kid was out of view for a couple seconds will help him.
            Either way the 2 guys in the truck had no business trying to arrest the kid
            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Why is race mentioned so prominently? Is it relevant to the facts in some arcane way?
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

true.
                I saw the video, but couldn't see what the victim did when he ran around the front of the truck.
                Whether he was a burglar or not won't really be relevant. The issue will be whether the shooter had a reasonable fear that he faced imminent harm.
                The video I saw was so jumpy I thought it must be videography by michael bay. So I can't say I was able to get but so much information out of it.

The things that I can say, and I caveat by saying that different states have different laws and procedures, it's not consistent across the US though general principles are consistent in the courts of the several states courtesy of the USSC.

I'm not sure what Georgia laws are on 'citizens arrest', but generally the scope for these is incredibly narrow. I don't think that the sort of extended pursuit situation which would have had to occur for 3 men to all have their guns and have one of them recording would fit the scope for any sort of citizens arrest or detention. As for the brandishing of firearms, a civilian attempting a detention is held to the same use of force standards. Since the decedent was not brandishing a weapon of his own, I'm very suspect about the deployment of multiple firearms to 'take him into custody'. That would lend credence to more of a lynch mob or vigilante mob (there is a difference) mentality, and probably put the decedent in fear for his own life, hence the struggle over the one gun.

While I would like to know the actual state of things vis a vis the decedent's prior activities, it really has no bearing on the facts of the case. If he was a burglar and not a jogger as his family is claiming, then one might understand why people in the neighborhood would be extremely angry and take a vigilante bent. However, as Tennessee vs Garner 1985 USSC shows, even a felon fleeing from the police, when that fleeing does not reasonably put public safety at risk and is not by use of a deadly weapon.....does not justify deadly force.

Giving the defendants the benefit of the doubt, they thought he was a burglar. They could have most likely tackled him and held him in place until the police arrived. I don't see any justification for them bringing deadly force into the situation outside of a desire for vigilante justice.
                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Why is race mentioned so prominently? Is it relevant to the facts in some arcane way?
                  No. It's not. But the media sure loves to note it. We had an active shooter situation a couple of years ago at a bar. Was stopped by a motorcycle cop putting several rounds through the shooter's torso. Both were black. I thought the media was going to crap itself since their narrative was shattered so thoroughly....they wound up just saying that a gunman was shot by a cop and left race out entirely.
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

One issue that stands out is why would the black man charge another man with a shotgun. Was the black guy on some sort of drug?

Who here would charge somebody who had a shotgun? I would think that would seem to be a death wish. None of us were there we only have a short video clip. Only God knows at this point what that black guy was doing.

The other point of contention is is it righteous for any American to be able to try a citizens arrest on somebody. I believe in Georgia this is actually legal. so this is going to be something that the defense will use.

With regards to the two white men...one was a police officer this is a man who has experience in enforcing the law. He was clearly out there for some reason thinking that there was a burglar in the neighborhood. Unless the other idea could be he was just simply trying to kill a black guy which would be a monstrous crime. So none of us here know if race was an issue that’s something that would be something God would know as well as what was going through the shooters mind. If the prosecution wants to know this take a look through the shooters background to find any sort of a so-called racial bias

it is the job of the judge and jury to sort through the emotions and get to a sound verdict

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

true.
                      Those are good points. Looking at the short 30 second video it appeared the black man was trying to wrestle the shotgun from the white guy. And by the way apologies for using black and white here I don’t really have the ability with my hands to type out these guys names for now that is.

from what I understand a citizens arrest is actually allowed in the state of Georgia. So this is going to come into contention in this case I would imagine ? Not to mention as you bring up the self-defense

it’s a really unfortunate thing that a man is dead bc of this situation. The victim was 25 years old by the way probably close in age to the shooter who is the ex cops son

George S Patton

Comment

Only to racists.
                        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post

Only to racists.
                          By which you mean the mass media.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

It's so that you can come up with excuses like "he was probably a burglar" or "maybe he was on drugs" or maybe he was a gangbanger or something, which you obviously wouldn't do if the dude was white and he was blasted away by a black father-son dynamic duo.

Like wolfhnd said, a lot of **** can happen in a nation of 300 million people. But that doesn't really explain your attitudes.
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                              It's so that you can come up with excuses like "he was probably a burglar" or "maybe he was on drugs" or maybe he was a gangbanger or something, which you obviously wouldn't do if the dude was white and he was blasted away by a black father-son dynamic duo.

Like wolfhnd said, a lot of **** can happen in a nation of 300 million people. But that doesn't really explain your attitudes.
                              Yep. Many here first start with maybe a burglar (black ~ criminal) and then move to postulating that the jogger could have been on drugs (black ~ drug addict). The barely hidden racism shown even here is really ugly. Very few even stopped to wonder if hunting down a lone jogger with a truck is normal or is threatening a jogger with shotgun a standard practice in the US. Jogger who by other accounts had been repeatedly tried to be cut off by that truck and whose driver is openly pointing a shotgun at the jogger when the jogger approaches the truck.

What actually is interesting is Georgia's "stand your ground" law (2006) that apparently says that a person using force in self-defense has "no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground." Which actually means that the jogger being threatened with a gun pointing man had every right to try to get the gun. In self defense. Unless you are arguing that as a (i) jogger or (ii) black he did not have right for self defense.
                              https://www.gpbnews.org/post/breakin...fatal-shooting
                              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X