Some Facts About Face Masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
    I think the principal that applies in the sea of uncertainty surrounding this pandemic is that the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Well to be fair - the mouth masks now distributed among the general population are just a step in a much larger strategy, they are part of the exit out of the more severe lockdown restrictions.

As more people go out to work, school and generally about their business, they are meant as an extra barrier for the virus, in situations where distance is hard to keep, in itself they are not expected to do much.

Consider it the equivalent of holding a hand before your face when you cough or sneeze...

In addition to the psychological aspect, with more masks about, people are more inclined to mind distancing measures, which are actually more effective.

They make an invisible threat, visible, not unlike helmets on a construction site.

Shopkeepers here wear them often even though it's not compulsory, makes them look professional and concerned for the health of their costumers, which in turn is good for business.

Many use plexiglass screens for their counters too.

And of course in the food industry and medical professions they have been common for a long time, and are often mandatory I think.
      No Belgian government has a much larger strategy , no Belgian government has a strategy .Besides, there is only a minority Belgian government since 1 year .
      Two months ago,the politicians almost wanted to prohibit the use of masks, now they want to impose it . Reality is that there are only few masks available ,and that as usual, the promises of the politicians prove to be lies .Where I am living,it will take til May 31 for everyone to have a mask . And I doubt very much that on that day everyone will have one . But,meanwhile,people will have to use public transport,and without mask,you can't use public transport .Which proves the incompetence of the politicians .
      There were millions of masks, but the minister of health, a doctor, ordered to destroy them, and there was no money to buy new masks .When the crisis erupted,hospitals were without masks,and the minister bought masks from a swindler ,with as result : no masks and the money disappeared mysteriously .
      PS : the swindler was a member of the party of the minister .

Comment

At least the masks disguise people's ugliness
        "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

Couldn't possibly be that the US has more population than most of those other countries, now could it?

By Rate the US is behind quite a number of European countries........
          Your source?
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

The "hotbeds" of infection in the US tend to be in and around democratic strongholds. i.e. cities.

Are you sure you want to blame them?
            Dem or GOP just the facts.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Healthcare workers are there to care for the sick...not isolate themselves and pretend nothing is wrong.

As for the implied message that everyone will get it, so what? Odds of dying are ridiculously low, and who promised anyone that they could live forever?

Time to grow a set and get back to work.
              Says the guy who ran off into the mountains far from the crowds.

Comment

Locally, Ollie Discounter and Closeout chain announced by e-mail that they had surgery style face masks for sale in packs of 50 for $49.95 limit 2. Knowing what that place carries I wouldn't be surprised that those masks are from China and are about as effective as a Kleenex over your face.

They are only as good as how well they are fitted across your face. The only things better are the air supply units used by firefighters, military grade gas masks, and Moon Suits.
                “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Dem or GOP just the facts.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality
                  That link confirms what I said about per capita but also shows we are doing better than Belgium, Netherlands and Ireland. There may be more, but I stopped looking after that.

About 30% of all US deaths have taken place in New York City.
                  That was before New York “remembered” they had another 1700 nursing home deaths they had failed to include in earlier reports.
                  Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Your source?
                    Your link in #65 proves the point that we are doing better on a per capita basis than England, France, Italy, Sweden Spain, Belgium, Ireland and the Netherlands.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                      Locally, Ollie Discounter and Closeout chain announced by e-mail that they had surgery style face masks for sale in packs of 50 for $49.95 limit 2. Knowing what that place carries I wouldn't be surprised that those masks are from China and are about as effective as a Kleenex over your face.

They are only as good as how well they are fitted across your face. The only things better are the air supply units used by firefighters, military grade gas masks, and Moon Suits.
                      Caveat on gas masks, it depends on the filter. I have 2 CBRN filters. And one rated for CS and OC, what we typically use to force a barricaded subject out of a hidey hole. Its substantially thinner which is nice. But it wont filter a virus.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

Your link in #65 proves the point that we are doing better on a per capita basis than England, France, Italy, Sweden Spain, Belgium, Ireland and the Netherlands.
                        A pandemic is not a baseball match with a camp 'doing better' than other. Death toll by itself is meaningless.

Japan : Pop 126 M
                        Confirmed cases : about 16k.
                        Recovered : about 5k.
                        Deaths : 606.

US population is about 3 times Japan's one with more than 100 time more deaths. A lot a factor like density and geography explain the difference. Italy was the first European country to be hit and faced almost alone the threat with an unknown virus. UK was well warned with a more favourable geography but like US did not took the needed steps in order to reduce risks. This is the point a lot of people do blame Trump administration, not the death toll by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Metryll View Post

A pandemic is not a baseball match with a camp 'doing better' than other. Death toll by itself is meaningless.

Japan : Pop 126 M
                          Confirmed cases : about 16k.
                          Recovered : about 5k.
                          Deaths : 606.

US population is about 3 times Japan's one with more than 100 time more deaths. A lot a factor like density and geography explain the difference. Italy was the first European country to be hit and faced almost alone the threat with an unknown virus. UK was well warned with a more favourable geography but like US did not took the needed steps in order to reduce risks. This is the point a lot of people do blame Trump administration, not the death toll by itself.

I never said it was a baseball match, but if you looked at the history of the debate you would have noticed that it started with post #52 which stated as follows:
                          "Might explain why the US is a World leader on infections and deaths. STUPID! Rules "

So, in response to the claim that the US was doing worse as compared to the rest of the world, I provided information that contradicted the claim the US was the "leader" with infections and deaths.

I merely provided accurate information and analysis of the relative numbers to establish that the assertion that the US was the "leader" was wrong.
                          So if you are going to be critical of people comparing the death tolls and infections, I think you focused on the wrong person.

Yes, there are nations that are doing better and some worse.
                          I never said anything different.

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                            They are fine, as all they 'need' to do is bolster the fragile egos of those who wear them.
                            ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                            2) Enjoy playing it
                            3) Enjoy sharing it
                            4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
                              They are fine, as all they 'need' to do is bolster the fragile egos of those who wear them.
                              Not really. They are needed to satisfy the mandated rules of Dictator Governors that force everyone to wear masks at work, if they still have a job, or when they go shopping at the few places that are allowed to have customers in them in very limited numbers.
                              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                                No Belgian government has a much larger strategy , no Belgian government has a strategy....
                                The strategy is so cunning, you don't even realise it is strategy which proves it is a great strategy

Where I am living,it will take til May 31 for everyone to have a mask .
                                Doesn't surprise me one bit - I hear in Zottegem they will look like this too :

3c0a.jpg

Last edited by Snowygerry; 10 May 20, 00:06.
                                Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X