Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) with coronavirus. Captain asks for help

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/u...roosevelt.html

WASHINGTON — The captain of an American aircraft carrier deployed to the Pacific Ocean has pleaded with the Pentagon for more help as a coronavirus outbreak aboard his ship continues to spread, officials said Tuesday. Military officials say dozens of sailors have been infected.

In a four-page letter dated Monday, first reported by
    The San Francisco Chronicle on Tuesday, Capt. Brett E. Crozier of the carrier, the Theodore Roosevelt, laid out the dire situation unfolding aboard the warship, with more than 4,000 crew members, and what he said were the Navy’s failures to provide him with the proper resources to combat the virus by moving sailors off the vessel.

“We are not at war,” Captain Crozier wrote. “Sailors do not need to die. If we do not act now, we are failing to properly take care of our most trusted asset — our sailors.”

Letter on the SF link

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...h-15167883.php
    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

and the response from navy officials (from the SF link)

The Navy did not respond to The Chronicle’s requests for comment Monday, but on Tuesday morning as the news spread, the Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly spoke to CNN.

“I heard about the letter from Capt. Crozier (Tuesday) morning, I know that our command organization has been aware of this for about 24 hours and we have been working actually the last seven days to move those sailors off the ship and get them into accommodations in Guam. The problem is that Guam doesn’t have enough beds right now and we’re having to talk to the government there to see if we can get some hotel space, create tent-type facilities,” Modly said.

“We don’t disagree with the (captain) on that ship and we’re doing it in a very methodical way because it’s not the same as a cruise ship, that ship has armaments on it, it has aircraft on it, we have to be able to fight fires if there are fires on board the ship, we have to run a nuclear power plant, so there’s a lot of things that we have to do on that ship that make it a little bit different and unique but we’re managing it and we’re working through it,” he said.

“We’re very engaged in this, we’re very concerned about it and we’re taking all the appropriate steps,” Modly said.

My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

I bet when this is over and done with Captain Crozier finds his career in the Navy is at an end. He won't make Admiral and there will be strong hints that maybe he should quietly retire, tomorrow if not today.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        I bet when this is over and done with Captain Crozier finds his career in the Navy is at an end. He won't make Admiral and there will be strong hints that maybe he should quietly retire, tomorrow if not today.
        If that is what it takes to take care of his crew, so what? Commanders have a responsibility to their crew, and Captain Crozier's comment that we are not at war and we should not lose anyone is absolutely correct. Good for the ship's captain. Maybe someone up the chain will pull his head out of his fourth point of contact and get something done for the ship and it's crew.

I was once on the Roosevelt-it's a great ship as well as a beautiful one.
        We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

When first detected, only 3 sailors were infected. It's now 70 sailors, a mere week later.

No need for hospitalization for any sailor is very good. They are young and healthy, I'm not surprised.
          "Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" George Carlin

Comment

I only have one question, why did this commander allow shore leave at this particular time? Small wonder some of his command brought this virus back into a crowded environment which quickly spread to hundreds of crew members that are vital to keeping a super carrier combat ready. Biological warfare is one of the quickest way to disable your opponent's ability to wage war. Hopefully, that lesson will be learned by the higher ups in the Department of Defense.

The only good news being reported is that no one is reported to be seriously ill. Then again, if sick sailors are being transferred to hospitals in Guam, official reports are being sanitized to hide what is really going on.
            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

More conspiracy theories...?
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

1:25 p.m. Report says captain of stricken ship will be removed: Reuters reports that the U.S. Navy will relieve the commander of a coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier with more than 100 infected sailors onboard after a letter was leaked in which he pleaded with the Navy for resources. Capt. Brett Crozier, a Santa Rosa native, has been at the helm of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, which has been docked in Guam following a COVID-19 outbreak.

San Francisco Chronicle
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Another source on the same subject:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/polit...ved/index.html

The commander of a US aircraft carrier which has been hit by a major outbreak of the coronavirus is expected to be removed from duty after being suspected of leaking a memo this week warning Navy leadership that decisive action was needed to save the lives of the ship's crew, a defense official tells CNN.

"We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die. If we do not act now, we are failing to properly take care of our most trusted asset — our Sailors," Capt. Brett Crozier wrote in a memo to the Navy's Pacific Fleet, three US defense officials confirmed to CNN.

A US defense official told CNN earlier Thursday that 114 sailors from the USS Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive for the virus.

"Decisive action is required. Removing the majority of personnel from a deployed US nuclear aircraft carrier and isolating them for two weeks may seem like an extraordinary measure," he wrote in the memo. "This is a necessary risk. It will enable the carrier and air wing to get back underway as quickly as possible while ensuring the health and safety of our Sailors. Keeping over 4,000 young men and women on board the TR is an unnecessary risk and breaks faith with those Sailors entrusted to our care."
                  The US Navy declined to comment.

Comment

So a lower form of life managed to accomplish something that a much more intelligent form of life could not do for 50 years during the Cold War.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
                      https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/u...roosevelt.html

WASHINGTON — The captain of an American aircraft carrier deployed to the Pacific Ocean has pleaded with the Pentagon for more help as a coronavirus outbreak aboard his ship continues to spread, officials said Tuesday. Military officials say dozens of sailors have been infected.

In a four-page letter dated Monday, first reported by
                      The San Francisco Chronicle on Tuesday, Capt. Brett E. Crozier of the carrier, the Theodore Roosevelt, laid out the dire situation unfolding aboard the warship, with more than 4,000 crew members, and what he said were the Navy’s failures to provide him with the proper resources to combat the virus by moving sailors off the vessel.

“We are not at war,” Captain Crozier wrote. “Sailors do not need to die. If we do not act now, we are failing to properly take care of our most trusted asset — our sailors.”

Letter on the SF link

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...h-15167883.php
                      Has anyone informed him that his people are highly unlikely to die? And where are they to be evacuated to? Hospital beds that do not exist in America - according to our own government?

In any event, by publicizing the failure of the Navy to act, he has doomed his career.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        Hopefully, along with everyone is his senior chain of command. Hope he keeps copies of all of his official correspondence.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Commander of US Carrier relieved of duty, (He be done)
                          Never circumvent the chain of command.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us...cid=spartanntp
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                            Commander of US Carrier relieved of duty, (He be done)
                            Never circumvent the chain of command.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us...cid=spartanntp
                            I bet he knew that...

Perhaps he decided that he could better live with his consciousness knowing that the leak of the letter forced his superiors to act and save his crew from unnecessary deaths than trying to build his career and become an admiral knowing that he had to step on some dead bodies along the way to climb at the top. I have no problem if he saw it that way. That being said, he is still responsible as a commander for the situation that developed among his sailors. I do not know if this is related to the area of deployment (Asia?) which exposed his crew to the virus to a larger degree than in other aircraft carriers,

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

I bet he knew that...

Perhaps he decided that he could better live with his consciousness knowing that the leak of the letter forced his superiors to act and save his crew from unnecessary deaths than trying to build his career and become an admiral knowing that he had to step on some dead bodies along the way to climb at the top. I have no problem if he saw it that way. That being said, he is still responsible as a commander for the situation that developed among his sailors. I do not know if this is related to the area of deployment (Asia?) which exposed his crew to the virus to a larger degree than in other aircraft carriers,
                              You missed the video statement , He sent emails on an unsecured system, The Navy had already been working to get his ship help. He screwed up big time...
                              Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X