Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will this pandemic change our country and other nations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Schmart View Post

I sincerely hope that the governments and health authorities in my country will learn some lessons from the situation, in particular adopt some practices and principles that seem to have been used to better effect in places like Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan, to minimize future impacts.
    Me too.

Leave a comment:

• Schmart
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    What permanent changes, if any do you predict for the future?
    I sincerely hope that the governments and health authorities in my country will learn some lessons from the situation, in particular adopt some practices and principles that seem to have been used to better effect in places like Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan, to minimize future impacts.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Rojik View Post
    I reckon my take away bat soup franchise idea is now dead in the water. Sigh
    LOL, Bat soup is bat sh#t crazy, but it might fly...

Leave a comment:

• Rojik
    replied
    I reckon my take away bat soup franchise idea is now dead in the water. Sigh

Leave a comment:

• Karri
    replied
    I wonder if the anti-vaxxer community will die with this. Certainly some of those idiots are bound to see the light.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    This may be the most important change to take away from this ordeal

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...upply-n1052376

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall_Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    I do think the Democrats will be surprised in November that people got a dose of reality when they needed help and the government wasn't there for them. That's not going to play well with the Democrat party's platform of more government, more handouts, and less independence.
    But if the federal government doesn’t reassure people and it’s a federal government does not remain positive that would surely cost trump just as you’re saying right now. It’s Trump is president not a Democrat.

throughout this entire situation there have been Democrats and Republicans doing great things to reassure people. This is an American issue not a democratic or republican one. President Trump needs to be a uniter here. I’ve been looking out for all the stories of unity. And finding them has been pretty easy. The Democratic governor of California Mr. Newsom has already praised President Trump and President Trump as praise governor Newsom.

Forget about global warming or whatever Al Gore had. Forget about Nancy Pelosi and remember the great Democrats of American history.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    I do think the Democrats will be surprised in November that people got a dose of reality when they needed help and the government wasn't there for them. That's not going to play well with the Democrat party's platform of more government, more handouts, and less independence.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    I will make one prediction, there will be sub committee hearings, they will last longer than the pandemic.

Leave a comment:

• Karri
    replied
    Immediately, no change. Long term there might be some new thoughts popping into mainstream.

I've also been low-key following which companies are doing a shitty job at managing the PR aspect of this. Gamestop will certainly go bankcrupt soon or after this crisis. People are not exactly happy about companies asking for bailouts whilst at the same time spreading money to shareholders either.

In general, people are kinda waking up to being just cogs in the machine with no apparent value beyond their daily motor functions filling the balance sheet. It was good enough when they were getting their money, but now that they need something and get nothing but a kick in the arse...

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Originally posted by DingBat View Post
    I wouldn't want to speak for the US, but in Canada, I expect a couple of things:

1. A serious conversation on preparedness for the next pandemic/emergency.
    2. A serious nationwide conversation on a universal basic income. There were some plans for a trial in Ontario but they were cancelled a few months ago.
    3. The Covid-19 pandemic has shown that swift action on large issues is possible. It's going to be a lot harder for the federal government to dodge committing to firm plans to meet our climate change goals.

What I'd like to see:

1. For the most part, the population has been calm and cooperative. I would like to see some sort of analysis of how large the outlier groups are/were and what can be done to minimize them in future emergencies. By outliers I mean the panicky hoarders on one end and the deniers on the other.
    2. Social media has really exposed itself as a source of misinformation that undermines efforts to inform the public in the case of emergency. I'd like to see some sort of plan for distributing the truth and combating lies on social media. I realize how difficult that is likely to be.
    good Post.
    Canada's Ventilator shortage - here....
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ring-1.5499269

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall_Jack
    replied
    I do predict that in the more immediate future we will have some sort of federal jobs programmed put forth. This will put people to work to build medical supplies and such.

in a long-term future we might deal with a sort of inflation.

in the long-term future cleanliness will be very very much considered important. Parks recreation center as restaurants will be very adamant about customers being clean.

Interest rates I believe will be low in the future. The price of automobiles will go down to accommodate the economy. We will see a black market but we’ve always had that question is how big will the black market be interest rates I believe will be low in the future. The price of automobiles will go down to accommodate the economy. We will see a black market but we’ve always had that question is how big will the black market be

Leave a comment:

• DingBat
    replied
    I wouldn't want to speak for the US, but in Canada, I expect a couple of things:

1. A serious conversation on preparedness for the next pandemic/emergency.
    2. A serious nationwide conversation on a universal basic income. There were some plans for a trial in Ontario but they were cancelled a few months ago.
    3. The Covid-19 pandemic has shown that swift action on large issues is possible. It's going to be a lot harder for the federal government to dodge committing to firm plans to meet our climate change goals.

What I'd like to see:

1. For the most part, the population has been calm and cooperative. I would like to see some sort of analysis of how large the outlier groups are/were and what can be done to minimize them in future emergencies. By outliers I mean the panicky hoarders on one end and the deniers on the other.
    2. Social media has really exposed itself as a source of misinformation that undermines efforts to inform the public in the case of emergency. I'd like to see some sort of plan for distributing the truth and combating lies on social media. I realize how difficult that is likely to be.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    Try to leave political bias out of your replies, it is not my intent to start a thread that will descend into bickering across political lines.

How do you think this pandemic will change the US and other nations?

Will it change the way we do business permanently, or is this just a blip on the radar?

Do you believe that out of this global experience the travel and tourism industry will step up sanitation procedures.

None. We have had a pandemic of some sort every two years since 2004 and this one came along right on schedule and got us totally unprepared after all of the others we experienced. That is compelling proof that we have not learned anything...nor will we.

Leave a comment:

• How will this pandemic change our country and other nations?

Try to leave political bias out of your replies, it is not my intent to start a thread that will descend into bickering across political lines.

How do you think this pandemic will change the US and other nations?

Will it change the way we do business permanently, or is this just a blip on the radar?

Do you believe that out of this global experience the travel and tourism industry will step up sanitation procedures.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X