Swine vs. Corona ~ Virus/Flu ~ Context & Perpsectives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swine vs. Corona ~ Virus/Flu ~ Context & Perpsectives

As the USA and World once again deals with an infection seeming to originate from Asia ~ China (Again ), perhaps time to do that historian thing and look back about 10-11 years to the last similar event and compare then to now and how each was dealt with ...

2009 flu pandemic in the United States

The 2009 flu pandemic in the United States was a novel strain of the Influenza A/H1N1 virus, commonly referred to as "swine flu", that began in the spring of 2009. The virus had spread to the US from an outbreak in Mexico.[116]

As of mid-March 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that about 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus, 265,000 were hospitalized as a result, and 12,000 died.[117][118]
    EVERYONE - Note the March to November timeline in this next excerpt versus our current December to early March:
    The 2009 flu pandemic in the United States was a novel strain of the Influenza A/H1N1 virus, commonly referred to as "swine flu", that began in the spring of 2009. The virus had spread to the US from an outbreak in Mexico.[116]

As of mid-March 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that about 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus, 265,000 were hospitalized as a result, and 12,000 died.[117][118]
    NEXT, note the several months passage before this;
    On April 26, 2009, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services declared Swine Flu a public health emergency. [126]On October 24, 2009, President Barack Obama declared Swine Flu a national emergency in the United States. On November 12, 2009, the CDC reported an estimated 22 million Americans had been infected with 2009 A H1N1 and 4,000 Americans have died.[127] On December 10, 2009, the CDC reported an estimated 50 million Americans or 1 in 6 people had been infected with the 2009 A H1N1 Virus and 10,000 Americans had died, by which time the vaccine was beginning to be widely distributed to the general public by several states.[128] On December 23, 2009 the CDC reported a reduction of the disease by 59% percent and the disease was expected to end in the United States in January 2010.
    ALSO - Note the several times more numbers and larger scale of impact ...
    Now Note ...
    An official for the White House said on April 24 that "the White House is taking the situation seriously and monitoring for any new developments. The president has been fully briefed."[161] President Barack Obama stated that "We are closely monitoring the emerging cases of swine flu". He also noted, "This is obviously a cause for concern ... but it is not a cause for alarm".[162] ...

On October 24, President Obama declared the 2009 H1N1 swine flu a national emergency.[169] The declaration will make it easier for U.S. medical facilities to handle a surge in flu patients by allowing the waiver of some requirements of Medicare, Medicaid and other federal health insurance programs as needed.
    SOOOO ... SEVEN Months later Great Leader Chairman MaObama Finally decided maybe there was a National Health Emergency ...

Compare this to how we are now just barely two months in to what MIGHT become a similar situation and already the Loonie Left-Wingnuts and MSM are castigating Trump, where just a decade ago they gave MaObama a pass for at least three times as long a delay to show "leadership in a crisis" !!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_f..._United_States

AGAIN - to summarize ...
    In the span of approximately a year;
    @59+ million Infected
    @265,000+ hospitalized
    @12,000 + died

YET - Did MaObama ever once get seriously raked over the coals for a non-presidential treatment of this "pandemic"; especially during the first few months ???
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

To date, about two months into this "pandemic" from a USA perspective, we here in the USA have had 39 deaths attributed to COVID-19. 26 of those have been in Seattle and located within one senior citizen residence/home.

At this time, "to date"; about 1,215 cases in the USA. However some are still to be determined/confirmed, with a reported 39 deaths attributed to the COVID-19/"Coronavirus";
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html
    Washington state is a major concentration point due to the huge traffic flow from Asia/China to British Columbia,Canada and then southward by "shoppers", etc. into the USA via our border to Canada.

As can be seen in the map included in the embedded link here, cases per state in USA vary significantly, and may reflect travel and resident linkages to Asia/China.

Comment

So what is the major difference Between now and eleven years ago when the "Swine Flu" first broke upon the USA ?

The partisan political affiliation of whom occupies the White House!

Back then in March of 2009 as the pandemic of the Swine Flu burst upon the USA, a several months delay of adequate response and leadership from the White House and POTUS was tolerated by the Loonie Left-Wingnut social disruptors and Left-Leaning MSM(Main Stream Media) because their messiah and 'chosen one' Great Community Organizer, Chairman MaObama, was the POTUS in the White House and HE could do no wrong. Besides; at the time He was busy trying to force Guv'mint "Health-Care"; "ObamaCare" upon the nation and therefore 'We' could not pass negative judgement upon those Guv'mint agencies whom were slow and inadequate to respond to the Swine Flu "pandemic", especially since all this mess wasn't Barry's fault.

Fast forward about eleven years and barely two months into another invasion of foreign origin virus/pandemic and "of course" the current POTUS(Trump) is all to blame because he should have foreseen this was going to happen and should have directed all those Guv'mint agencies to be ready and pro-active before such even happened. Or at least jumped into leadership and direction three times sooner than Great Messiah MaObama did.

If it weren't for double standards the Loonie Left-Wingnuts and allies of AntiFa would have no standards at all.
      If it weren't for hypocrisy they would have no Ideology at all.
      If it weren't for the Left-Wingnuts and AntiFa sorts this World would be a much better place to live and get things done.

Comment

As you posted, it's the Usual Leftist Hypocrisy. As usual. As expected. With a MAJOR DOSE of the usual TDS.
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

So far, despite all of the closures and limits on the number of people who may gather for a public event, there have been ZERO limits or cancellations of political rallies.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            So far, despite all of the closures and limits on the number of people who may gather for a public event, there have been ZERO limits or cancellations of political rallies.

You are wrong:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/u...ronavirus.html

Sanders and Biden Cancel Events as Coronavirus Fears Upend Primary

On the other hand

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...es-coronavirus

Biden and Sanders are canceling rallies over coronavirus. Why won’t Trump?

I recommend you change your news sources
            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
              So what is the major difference Between now and eleven years ago when the "Swine Flu" first broke upon the USA ?

The partisan political affiliation of whom occupies the White House!

Back then in March of 2009 as the pandemic of the Swine Flu burst upon the USA, a several months delay of adequate response and leadership from the White House and POTUS was tolerated by the Loonie Left-Wingnut social disruptors and Left-Leaning MSM(Main Stream Media) because their messiah and 'chosen one' Great Community Organizer, Chairman MaObama, was the POTUS in the White House and HE could do no wrong. Besides; at the time He was busy trying to force Guv'mint "Health-Care"; "ObamaCare" upon the nation and therefore 'We' could not pass negative judgement upon those Guv'mint agencies whom were slow and inadequate to respond to the Swine Flu "pandemic", especially since all this mess wasn't Barry's fault.

Fast forward about eleven years and barely two months into another invasion of foreign origin virus/pandemic and "of course" the current POTUS(Trump) is all to blame because he should have foreseen this was going to happen and should have directed all those Guv'mint agencies to be ready and pro-active before such even happened. Or at least jumped into leadership and direction three times sooner than Great Messiah MaObama did.

If it weren't for double standards the Loonie Left-Wingnuts and allies of AntiFa would have no standards at all.
              If it weren't for hypocrisy they would have no Ideology at all.
              If it weren't for the Left-Wingnuts and AntiFa sorts this World would be a much better place to live and get things done.
              If you do not see any difference, then you must come to the unavoidable conclusion that back then we had a POTUS who remained calm and took reasonable measures which addressed the problem while today we have a POTUS who has panicked and is making irrational decisions which ruin the economy in order to face a challenge which is not significantly different from the one Obama faced...

My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

If you do not see any difference, then you must come to the unavoidable conclusion that back then we had a POTUS who remained calm and took reasonable measures which addressed the problem while today we have a POTUS who has panicked and is making irrational decisions which ruin the economy in order to face a challenge which is not significantly different from the one Obama faced...
                To begin with, your response overlooks that my post you quote was partly a rhetorical one and also that the key phrase is this one:

"The partisan political affiliation of whom occupies the White House!"

I see the difference as both one of expectations of response time from the POTUS de jur and the degree of concern and action.

"Great Community Organizer, Chairman MaObama" was allowed several months (From March to October) to finally present a semi cogent response and course of action to deal with a pandemic that had grown to dimensions several times beyond what we currently face while this current POTUS and the Federal Government are expected to have anticipated the unknowable and have responded in a proactive and pre-emptive manner.

I must see nothing per your arbitrary and ill-logical standards!

Back then we had a POTUS will next to nil executive leadership experience whom constantly and frequently dithered on issues and then made the wrong decisions. With regards to the Swine Flu endemic he dithered and delayed several months before showing any grasp of the situation or any course of leadership on how to deal with such and his minions and sheeple followers give him and indulgent "pass" and being ineffectual and a total boob!

Meanwhile our current POTUS has had a clue, been aware early one, applied ideas and solutions that have been adjusted as data and circumstances have changed and net result is on top of the comparable situation months sooner than his predecessor was or could have been.

Bottom-line is that DJT is handling the "coronavirus" "crisis" several times more effectively and quickly/responsively than MaObama did the Swine Flu one and so far the Loonie Left-Wingnuts and MSM are doing their usual seditious and destructive response of lying, distorting and trying to engender panic when such is not called for.

Certain people in this nation and on this forum are not operating in the best interests of the nation, world, or humanity!

Comment

To begin with, your response overlooks that my post you quote was partly a rhetorical one and also that the key phrase is this one:

"The partisan political affiliation of whom occupies the White House!"

I see the difference as both one of expectations of response time from the POTUS de jur and the degree of concern and action.

"Great Community Organizer, Chairman MaObama" was allowed several months (From March to October) to finally present a semi cogent response and course of action to deal with a pandemic that had grown to dimensions several times beyond what we currently face while this current POTUS and the Federal Government are expected to have anticipated the unknowable and have responded in a proactive and pre-emptive manner.

I must see nothing per your arbitrary and ill-logical standards!

Back then we had a POTUS will next to nil executive leadership experience whom constantly and frequently dithered on issues and then made the wrong decisions. With regards to the Swine Flu endemic he dithered and delayed several months before showing any grasp of the situation or any course of leadership on how to deal with such and his minions and sheeple followers give him and indulgent "pass" and being ineffectual and a total boob!

Meanwhile our current POTUS has had a clue, been aware early one, applied ideas and solutions that have been adjusted as data and circumstances have changed and net result is on top of the comparable situation months sooner than his predecessor was or could have been.

Bottom-line is that DJT is handling the "coronavirus" "crisis" several times more effectively and quickly/responsively than MaObama did the Swine Flu one and so far the Loonie Left-Wingnuts and MSM are doing their usual seditious and destructive response of lying, distorting and trying to engender panic when such is not called for.

Certain people in this nation and on this forum are not operating in the best interests of the nation, world, or humanity!
                  I prefer to speak with evidence

Net result is that the person from Trump's task force team contradicts your claims

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...coronavirus-in

One of the nation’s top health officials leading the coronavirus response on Wednesday admitted it is a “failing” that individuals cannot “easily” get tested for the disease in the U.S

The idea of anybody getting it [testing] easily the way people in other countries are doing it, we're not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes, but we're not.”

Even though the US had the biggest advantage of warning (as a result of its geography), it is still in a position which shows lack of preparation compared to countries which were hit first by the virus.

Last edited by pamak; 12 Mar 20, 20:00.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

I prefer to speak with evidence

Net result is that the person from Trump's task force team contradicts your claims

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...coronavirus-in

One of the nation’s top health officials leading the coronavirus response on Wednesday admitted it is a “failing” that individuals cannot “easily” get tested for the disease in the U.S

The idea of anybody getting it [testing] easily the way people in other countries are doing it, we're not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes, but we're not.”

Even though the US had the biggest advantage of warning (as a result of its geography), it is still in a position which shows lack of preparation compared to countries which were hit first by the virus.
                    Some factors are:
                    1) Operative term; whom was hit first ... = relative impact.
                    2) How does this lack of preparation compare to the previous example of 10-11 years ago with "Swine flu" ?
                    3) How does shortfall of bureaucracy with process in place prior to current POTUS reflect upon current administration?
                    4) How does current Admin fall short of previous Admin(Obama) in lag to response; i.e. Swine Flu?

Comment

Some factors are:
                      1) Operative term; whom was hit first ... = relative impact.
                      2) How does this lack of preparation compare to the previous example of 10-11 years ago with "Swine flu" ?
                      3) How does shortfall of bureaucracy with process in place prior to current POTUS reflect upon current administration?
                      4) How does current Admin fall short of previous Admin(Obama) in lag to response; i.e. Swine Flu?
                      And you provided none of such factors. In fact, you started by asking "So what is the major difference Between now and eleven years ago when the "Swine Flu" first broke upon the USA ?", and then you decided that the biggest difference was Obama who somehow reacted worse. I do not recall the situation then being close to what we see now either in the market or in the society. So, you just make things up....

We cannot medically beat the virus (yet) so the ONLY thing we can use in medicine right now is enough of testing to detect as many infected people as early as possible, so that we can shape their behavior and prevent further spread. Trump f**** this up royally!

And add to the above Trump's failure to prepare the economy by removing ALL tariffs. I bet that staging an economic war while any virus spreads will result in heavier blows in the economic system.

By the way, the Swine flue came from our neighbor.hood...not from the other side of the world

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2787513/

The swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus that appeared in 2009 and was first found in human beings in Mexico...

Last edited by pamak; 12 Mar 20, 20:07.

Comment

Drop the personal comments
                        thank you
                        ACG staff

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The Democrats... well Bernie and Joe...

The resemblance is kinda eerie isn't it...? Only they're not as funny...

Anyway Bernie and Joe are holding a debate in Phoenix without an audience. Sort of like if a politician fell in the forest would anyone hear his screams...?

Comment

Every four years we elect or re elect a president and fight a pandemic,,,,Ebola, Zika, Corona
                            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Well, yet another sour thread of the obsessed.
                              "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X