Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massena
    replied
    Solve the pandemic first, the economy second...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

The Trump administration is pushing to reopen much of the country next month, raising concerns among health experts and economists of a possible covid-19 resurgence if Americans return to their normal lives before the virus is truly stamped out.

Behind closed doors, President Trump — concerned with the sagging economy — has sought a strategy for resuming business activity by May 1, according to people familiar with the discussions.

In phone calls with outside advisers, Trump has even floated trying to reopen much of the country before the end of this month, when the current federal recommendations to avoid social gatherings and work from home expire, the people said. Trump regularly looks at unemployment and stock market numbers, complaining that they are hurting his presidency and reelection prospects, the people said.

Like others, they spoke on the condition of anonymity to reveal internal discussions.

Trump said at his daily briefing Thursday that the United States was at the “top of the hill” and added, “Hopefully, we’re going to be opening up — you could call it opening — very, very, very, very soon, I hope.”

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
    He speaks in phrases.
    I see.

Maybe he's possessed.

Glossolalia or speaking in tongues is a phenomenon in which people speak words that are apparently in languages unknown to the speaker. One definition used by linguists is the fluid vocalizing of speech-like syllables that lack any readily comprehended meaning,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia

I'd recommend an exorcism, just to be sure. Much more fun than an impeachment.

I would agree that his words can be difficult to understand when transcribed, but when I think it is easier to follow when you listen.
    No thanks

On the other hand,

It was a commonplace idea within the Greco-Roman world that divine beings spoke languages different from human languages,
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 09 Apr 20, 23:58.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    [QUOTE=BorderRuffian;n5183816]
    Bill DeBlasio, Mayor of New York City, March 10
    “If you’re under 50 and you’re healthy, which is most New Yorkers, there’s very little threat here. This disease, even if you were to get it, basically acts like a common cold or flu.”
    [/QUOTE
    I believe that it is pretty safe to say that before March 14, no one had a handle on Covid 19. So I cut the donald some slack....

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    I have a question... Are the people modelling this flu the same ones modelling Gorebal Warming...?

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    So....now that the University of Washington, one of those "definitely not conservative" places, has had to revise it's CV19 model......

Down by 400%!

How are we doing now?

By the numbers, it's possible that more people will commit suicide during the CV19 crisis in the US than will actually die from CV19.

Maybe it wasn't the world-ending boogaloo that all of the MSM and their leftist proponents were screeching about?

My state's estimated maximum number of cases was dropped, by 70%, and when you do the 70% drop it's matching the numbers day by day. And we have some relatively non-restrictive orders.....though the governor is STILL adding more restrictions statewide because Raleigh and Charlotte are having problems, not the non-urban counties.

Leave a comment:

• pamak
    replied
    Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
    “If you’re under 50 and you’re healthy, which is most New Yorkers, there’s very little threat here. This disease, even if you were to get it, basically acts like a common cold or flu.”

So, it does not include the Democratic presidential candidates who compete against Trump to get people's vote.

You can make the argument that there were local Democrat who were slow to react. But you cannot jut pick whichever fits you the best. Other Democrats were the first to take measures (Newsom, CA). Nor does it make sense to compare the resources a mayor has to foresee the future to the resource of the federal government that a president has at its disposal. That being said, it does not mean that DeBlasio does not share responsibility for what happened in NYC, and the same is true for Cuomo. Of course they do, but this will be a legitimate issue in the NY elections and not in the upcoming one. Nor can Trump avoid responsibility for the situation by pointing at a Democrat mayor who downplayed the CV dangers. The fiasco with the test kits blinded many people, who had less tools at their disposal to evaluate the penetration level of the disease.
    Last edited by pamak; 09 Apr 20, 19:09.

Leave a comment:

• BorderRuffian
    replied
    Originally posted by pamak View Post

I am not interested in claims without support...

Trump was denounced for insisting using the term "China virus"

The Dems were also the first to cancel public campaign rallies

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...es-coronavirus

Biden and Sanders are canceling rallies over coronavirus. Why won’t Trump?

Leave a comment:

• pamak
    replied
    Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
    Yes they did.

They did not. Trump was denounced by Dems and their buddies in the Media for the China travel ban.
    I am not interested in claims without support...

Trump was denounced for insisting using the term "China virus"

The Dems were also the first to cancel public campaign rallies

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...es-coronavirus

Biden and Sanders are canceling rallies over coronavirus. Why won’t Trump?

Leave a comment:

• BorderRuffian
    replied
    Originally posted by pamak View Post
    the Dems did not compare this virus to the common flu
    Yes they did.

and saw a need to adopt more drastic measures.
    They did not. Trump was denounced by Dems and their buddies in the Media for the China travel ban.

Leave a comment:

• pamak
    replied

He was talking about the administration failing to adequately respond. That is always subject to reasonable debate.
    But the dems and the media presented trump's statement as calling the virus a hoax, which even snopes said he did not do.

They can say the administration failed and he can say that is their new hoax, but he did not call the virus a hoax which is the whole point. If you are going to claim trump called it a hoax as you seemed to be doing, you will have to come up with some other proof.
    From the snopes link you posted...

"During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu."

It is obvious that the basis of the reason the Dems and Trump disagreed about the efficiency of the Trump administration's response was because the Dems did not compare this virus to the common flu and saw a need to adopt more drastic measures.

So while the "hoax" comment is not about the virus,, and Trump indeed never questioned the existence of the virus itself, it is certainly linked to the viru's perceived threat. And Trump did try to argue that the Dems were manufacturing a fake threat for a virus which was no more dangerous than the common flu.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Or from Truman..."the buck stops here"

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied

He speaks in phrases.
    I would agree that his words can be difficult to understand when transcribed, but when I think it is easier to follow when you listen.
    I constantly have to read transcripts of things that I have said on the record. So I am aware of how different the spoken word can be interpreted once written down. Once our words are transcribed, they lose their emphasis and inflection and become harder to understand.
    Trump moreso than most because I don't think he sticks to prepared speeches
    If you have ever read a transcript of your own words you will know what I am talking about.

If you've read some of Biden's statements of late you will have to agree that Trump isn't the only one who can be tough to understand.

For example:
    Joe Biden: “We cannot let this, we’ve never allowed any crisis from the Civil War straight through to the pandemic of 17, all the way around, 16, we have never, never let our democracy sakes second fiddle, way they, we can both have a democracy and ... correct the public health.”
    Both of them could learn a lot form President Dwight Eisenhower.https://quotes.thefamouspeople.com/d...hower-1270.php

Leave a comment:

• Cambronnne
    replied
    Originally posted by marktwain View Post

Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. You know that, right? Coronavirus. They’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa, they can’t even count. No they can’t. They can’t count their votes.

One of my people came up to me and said, ‘Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything, they tried it over and over, they’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax. But you know, we did something that’s been pretty amazing. We’re 15 people [cases of coronavirus infection] in this massive country. And because of the fact that we went early, we went early, we could have had a lot more than that.
    Snopes

I believe even hardened Trump supporters are having a debate over 'what th H*** did THAT mean?'
    He speaks in phrases.
    I constantly have to read transcripts of things that I have said on the record. So I am aware of how different the spoken word can be interpreted once written down. Once our words are transcribed, they lose their emphasis and inflection and become harder to understand.
    Trump moreso than most because I don't think he sticks to prepared speeches
    If you have ever read a transcript of your own words you will know what I am talking about.

If you've read some of Biden's statements of late you will have to agree that Trump isn't the only one who can be tough to understand.

For example:
    Joe Biden: “We cannot let this, we’ve never allowed any crisis from the Civil War straight through to the pandemic of 17, all the way around, 16, we have never, never let our democracy sakes second fiddle, way they, we can both have a democracy and ... correct the public health.”

Leave a comment:

• Cambronnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Canuckster View Post

Criticism may be right or it may be wrong but it isn't classified as a hoax.

Further to the definition of hoax...
    "It is distinguishable from errors in observation or judgment, rumors, urban legends, pseudosciences, and April Fools' Day events that are passed along in good faith by believers or as jokes."

So what exactly was he claiming the dems were deliberately lying about?

He was talking about the administration failing to adequately respond. That is always subject to reasonable debate.
    But the dems and the media presented trump's statement as calling the virus a hoax, which even snopes said he did not do.

They can say the administration failed and he can say that is their new hoax, but he did not call the virus a hoax which is the whole point. If you are going to claim trump called it a hoax as you seemed to be doing, you will have to come up with some other proof.
    Last edited by Cambronnne; 09 Apr 20, 13:08.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied

No. Facts are useful things and even Snopes disagrees with you.

What's True

During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu.

What's False

Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...-rally-remark/

Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. You know that, right? Coronavirus. They’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa, they can’t even count. No they can’t. They can’t count their votes.

One of my people came up to me and said, ‘Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything, they tried it over and over, they’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax. But you know, we did something that’s been pretty amazing. We’re 15 people [cases of coronavirus infection] in this massive country. And because of the fact that we went early, we went early, we could have had a lot more than that.
    Snopes

I believe even hardened Trump supporters are having a debate over 'what th H*** did THAT mean?'

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X