Doctor Donald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

How much of a difference is there between the bovine virus and the human? Would it take only a tweak to develop the bovine vaccine for human use, or would the work be more substantial?
    From the factcheck link which refers to a vaccine produced by another company than Merck but for the same disease:

• Coronavirus is a generic term for a large family of viruses, not any unique strain, in humans and animals. The vaccine pictured, ScourGuard 4K, is a vaccine for “pregnant cows and heifers” to help prevent diarrhea in their calves caused by bovine coronavirus and other microbes. As its name suggests, bovine coronavirus is a virus that infects cattle.
    Christina Lood, a spokeswoman for Zoetis, the manufacturer for the vaccine in question, told us in an email that “ScourGuard 4KC is licensed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for the vaccination of healthy, pregnant cows and heifers as an aid in preventing diarrhea in their calves caused in part by bovine coronavirus.” (Emphasis Lood’s.)

Lood noted that the bovine coronavirus and the 2019 novel coronavirus, both of which are betacoronaviruses, are from different lineages — and said that “very little cross protection has been demonstrated between” the two subgroups of betacoronavirus.

In other words, there’s little evidence to suggest the vaccine used to protect cattle from the bovine coronavirus would be effective in vaccinating against the novel coronavirus.

Comment

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post

Yes they have.

But not the same strain and therefore irrelevant in this situation.

Fact Check: Social media posts falsely imply cattle vaccine is related to new coronavirus

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...19/4945163002/

Cattle Vaccine Not Related to 2019 Novel Coronavirus

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/ca...el-coronavirus

I have seen attempts to spread or validate conspiracy theories, including from some people in this forum. It is good that there is some sane talk to set the record straight. By the way, I have seen at least two posts related to claims that some labs (one in the US and one in Israel) being close to produce a vaccine. Needless to say that even if everything goes perfectly well and there is a vaccine ready in short time, the next predictable conspiracy theory would be to claim that these labs were also the ones which created the virus and this is why they produced the antidote so fast.
      Last edited by pamak; 05 Mar 20, 14:02.
      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock

POST DELETED
        Since you are into following Israeli news (you can find same information in US media)

https://www.timesofisrael.com/russia...alarm-us-says/

Russia-linked disinformation campaign fueling coronavirus alarm, US says

State Department officials say social media accounts tied to Moscow are promoting conspiracy theories that Washington is behind COVID-19 outbreak

Do not be surprised if the usual suspects, including here, become victims (again) of Russian misinformation. And these suspects are on you side.
        My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post

Yes they have.

But not the same strain and therefore irrelevant in this situation.

Fact Check: Social media posts falsely imply cattle vaccine is related to new coronavirus

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...19/4945163002/

Cattle Vaccine Not Related to 2019 Novel Coronavirus

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/ca...el-coronavirus
          Not irrelevant at all. Just a long, repeating pattern of diseases that cross to humans. We knew about simian and feline AIDS long before it crossed into humans. Crutchfield-Jacobs was known for a long time before it became Mad Cow Disease in humans.

And here, again, corona virus is not new at all, merely another virus that can now live in humans.

We just have a habit of never thinking ahead.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Not irrelevant at all. Just a long, repeating pattern of diseases that cross to humans. We knew about simian and feline AIDS long before it crossed into humans. Crutchfield-Jacobs was known for a long time before it became Mad Cow Disease in humans.

And here, again, corona virus is not new at all, merely another virus that can now live in humans.

We just have a habit of never thinking ahead
            What are we supposed to think ahead?

The fact that mutations can change the characteristics of an organisms is well known, especially among those who accept the theory of evolution. So, you can have for decades a certain form of virus in animals which may be incapable of living inside humans and at some point have a branch of mutations which end up with a virus which has acquired the ability to live inside humans which makes it a matter of concern and a matter which requires different treatment or vaccine to combat its effects on humans.

Scientists cannot think ahead of all possible mutations that can transform every possible virus which can live only in animals to one that can infect humans.
            Last edited by pamak; 05 Mar 20, 17:10.

Comment

What gets me is President Moron told people on fox that if they have a mild case of the virus to go ahead and go to work.
              Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

By the way, it is interesting to see how different labs compete for funding to develop their version of vaccine. Without doubt, they know that those who promise earlier results will be more likely to secure additional funding which gives people an incentive to exaggerate. And this may not even be a deliberate decision. It may be purely psychological to have inflated hopes for a shorter timetable

Here is the US company which has already developed its DNA vaccine, and they did it in a matter of hours after they got the coronavirus genetic sequence

https://www.inquirer.com/business/dr...-20200304.html

“Using our modern DNA medicines platform, we designed our DNA vaccine INO-4800 in three hours after the publication of the genetic sequence of the novel coronavirus” by China on Jan. 10, J. Joseph Kim, Inovio CEO, said in a statement Tuesday.

That is even faster than the claims Israelis made in the link Bock posted before ( https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...27#post5174927)

and still, according to the site even the fastest proposals make it clear that the vaccine is not going to be ready for human use as quickly as some people hope even if there are no glitches during the trials.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/dr...-20200304.html

Regeneron founder Leonard Schleifer said his company aimed to have 200,000 doses ready by August. “That means you’d be able to use the vaccine that early?” asked the president, comparing the timetable favorably to another company’s. “No,” the CEO responded, the treatment would need more testing at that point.

Notice also the issue of attracting funds which is necessary for completing the project

“We immediately began preclinical testing and small-scale manufacture,” and have already shared data with public health officials and manufacturing partners, he added. The Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations, a Norway-based consortium, has pledged $9 million to Inovio’s effort in partnership with Beijing Advaccine Biotechnology Co. The consortium is backed by Wellcome Trust, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the World Economic Forum, and the governments of Norway, Germany, Japan, and India.

But, “we will need additional resources” to protect Americans, Kim added.
                Last edited by pamak; 05 Mar 20, 18:05.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

What are we supposed to think ahead?

The fact that mutations can change the characteristics of an organisms is well known, especially among those who accept the theory of evolution. So, you can have for decades a certain form of virus in animals which may be incapable of living inside humans and at some point have a branch of mutations which end up with a virus which has acquired the ability to live inside humans which makes it a matter of concern and a matter which requires different treatment or vaccine to combat its effects on humans.

Scientists cannot think ahead of all possible mutations that can transform every possible virus which can live only in animals to one that can infect humans.
                  Obviously. But keep in mind that you are talking with somebody who thinks "Crutchfield-Jacobs" is a thing. If he can't get that straight,...
                  Michele

Comment

Originally posted by Anthrax View Post
                    What gets me is President Moron told people on fox that if they have a mild case of the virus to go ahead and go to work.
                    You may achieve a form of natural selection in this manner.

If those that listen to Trump die out at a quicker rate than others….
                    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthrax View Post
                      proof ?

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Since you are into following Israeli news (you can find same information in US media)

https://www.timesofisrael.com/russia...alarm-us-says/

Russia-linked disinformation campaign fueling coronavirus alarm, US says

State Department officials say social media accounts tied to Moscow are promoting conspiracy theories that Washington is behind COVID-19 outbreak

Do not be surprised if the usual suspects, including here, become victims (again) of Russian misinformation. And these suspects are on you side.
                        And everyone knows that we can trust what State is telling us .

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post

proof ?
                          He was filmed saying it, just as he was filmed last night saying he will cut social security.
                          We are not now that strength which in old days
                          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

You may achieve a form of natural selection in this manner.

If those that listen to Trump die out at a quicker rate than others….
                            Well, considering that the virus seems to be more deadly for people of older age, one can say that it has a republican bias...

Comment

Trump says he'd rather keep people on cruise ship to keep numbers down

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/tru...002930482.html

From the Horse ____
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post

proof ?
                                It was on film or tape on the news, I can't recall which one. Trump was shown actually saying that. He is a moron.
                                We are not now that strength which in old days
                                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X