This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. to free 5,000 Taliban fighters, lift sanctions on leaders

The U.S. will free up to 5,000 Taliban prisoners and begin to remove economic sanctions on top Taliban leaders under the terms of a deal signed Saturday between the two sides.

The Trump administration’s long-awaited peace agreement with the Taliban — which could see the U.S. remove all of its 13,000 troops from Afghanistan within the next four months — includes a host of major concessions that have drawn fire from critics who say American national security could suffer. Key U.S. officials officially signed the pact on Saturday and the four-page document was released publicly soon after.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...tm_medium=push

How will Trump explain this to his support base and how will Trump supporters react ? How many voters will Trump lose wrt the Freeing of 5000 Taliban prisoners?
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Prolonging the war just delays the inevitable how many more Americans and allies need to die for a lost cause just because people don’t like anything Trump does?
    Time to cut your losses and move on if the Taliban doesn’t risk getting involved with groups like Al Qaeda again that will be considered enough of a win
    Last edited by Snowshoveler; 01 Mar 20, 11:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
      How will Trump explain this to his support base and how will Trump supporters react ? How many voters will Trump lose wrt the Freeing of 5000 Taliban prisoners?
      I think most Americans want the Afghan war to end more than they care about the prisoner release. So it shouldn't have much affect on Trump at all in November.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" George Carlin

Comment

If we really wanted to "win" in Afghanistan we'd have had to go medieval on them, something like Alexander the Great did when he passed through the area. You know, all that old time no-holds-barred warfare, like poisoning all the wells, shooting all male children under say 10 years old, burning the crops and shooting the livestock... That sort of thing.

I don't think that's going to happen so we should just give the Afghanis their $h!+hole back so long as they promise to keep the violence internal or maybe regional with their equally useless neighbors.

Oh, and of course, be willing to sell them all the guns and drugs they can do for cash...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          If we really wanted to "win" in Afghanistan we'd have had to go medieval on them, something like Alexander the Great did when he passed through the area. You know, all that old time no-holds-barred warfare, like poisoning all the wells, shooting all male children under say 10 years old, burning the crops and shooting the livestock... That sort of thing.

I don't think that's going to happen so we should just give the Afghanis their $h!+hole back so long as they promise to keep the violence internal or maybe regional with their equally useless neighbors.

Oh, and of course, be willing to sell them all the guns and drugs they can do for cash...
          Alexander the Great, as you said, passed through the area. He did not stay there....
          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by Snowshoveler View Post
            Prolonging the war just delays the inevitable how many more Americans and allies need to die for a lost cause just because people don’t like anything Trump does?
            Time to cut your losses and move on if the Taliban doesn’t risk getting involved with groups like Al Qaeda again that will be considered enough of a win
            Can't say it amounts to a win, now can we?

I does look as if the only form of Government acceptable to those people is a religious dictatorship where men are free to murder any woman that reads or shows any sign of intelligence.
            Let it become the new "Hermit Kingdom", and maybe building a wall around that dam country would be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Phaing View Post

I does look as if the only form of Government acceptable to those people is a religious dictatorship where men are free to murder any woman that reads or shows any sign of intelligence.
              Let it become the new "Hermit Kingdom", and maybe building a wall around that dam country would be a good idea.
              If the Taliban had just given up Bin Laden in the first place then Afghanistan would have been mostly left alone realpolitik is the best way to conduct foreign policy their way of life is horrible but it’s theirs none the less

Comment

Originally posted by Snowshoveler View Post

If the Taliban had just given up Bin Laden in the first place then Afghanistan would have been mostly left alone realpolitik is the best way to conduct foreign policy their way of life is horrible but it’s theirs none the less
                I doubt it.
                AQ could replace OBL wth another leader and this prospect was unacceptable to the US
                By the way, the Taliban did not reject out of hand to give up OBL.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/bal-te....t15-story.html

OCT 15, 2001
                Bush rejected any negotiations as a Taliban leader suggested the Afghan government would be willing to discuss surrendering bin Laden to a third country if the United States provided evidence of his guilt and stopped bombing.
                My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by Phaing View Post

The next Afghan civil war could well be between the Kochisa and the Hazaras.
                  The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

The next Afghan civil war could well be between the Kochisa and the Hazaras.
                    What is a Kochisa?

Comment

Originally posted by 82redleg View Post

What is a Kochisa?
                      Singular: Kochi.
                      the Kochi People and the Hazaras had up to the end of 1870's , interdependent pasturing agreements After the subjugation of the hazaras https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazaras They became anathema to the TaLIBAN.
                      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Alexander the Great, as you said, passed through the area. He did not stay there....
                        But he scorched the earth behind him as he went so there'd be no sustained guerilla war in his rear too.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

But he scorched the earth behind him as he went so there'd be no sustained guerilla war in his rear too.
                          I do not recall the details, but if he did, I suspect that he was not the only one. Do you think the Persians were more benevolent? Some regions in their empire could not just be controlled.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

I do not recall the details, but if he did, I suspect that he was not the only one. Do you think the Persians were more benevolent? Some regions in their empire could not just be controlled.
                            Actually, the Persians were more benevolent than Alexander. They held Afghanistan for 200 years and Persian is still one of the two most widely spoken languages in Afghanistan.

Alexander did not just past through, he stayed for seven years and won their hearts after he subdued them with his terror. His first wife Roxanne was the daughter of one of the Afghan warlords that he defeated. Their son would have been the heir to his empire had he survived.
                            Last edited by Salinator; 05 Mar 20, 21:18.
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Actually, the Persians were more benevolent than Alexander. They held Afghanistan for 200 years and Persian is still one of the most widely spoken languages in Afghanistan.

Alexander did not just past through, he stayed for seven years and won their hearts after he subdued them with his terror. His first wife Roxanne was the daughter of one of the Afghan warlords that he defeated. Their son would have been the heir to his empire had he survived.
                              Any link for that because other sources give different views

https://www.military-history.org/art...-of-armies.htm

Seven years in Afghanistan does not sound right considering that it took Alexander fewer years to beat the Persian Empire, and it does not add up.

Battle of Gaugamela 331 BC

Alexander's death 323 BC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono...reat_into_Asia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X