Trump gets treaty with Taliban to end Afghan war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump gets treaty with Taliban to end Afghan war

I'm really wondering how the MSM and Democrats will spin this one into a total negative...

Seems Trump is about to sign a treaty ending the Afghan war and bring US troops home from there in the next few months...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartanntp

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...062940394.html

The war is lost as long as the Taliban can keep regrouping inside a safe territory in Pakistan there is no winning Afghanistan as they’ll eventually take back control it’s the same problem that the Russians had

If the Taliban shelters Islamic terrorists again and there’s another major terrorist attack against Americans the US will probably not make the same mistake twice and Pakistan will also be invaded making sure that the Taliban can’t re-emerge again
    Hopefully the Taliban won’t test fate again and they don’t get involved with groups like Al Qaeda again

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      I'm really wondering how the MSM and Democrats will spin this one into a total negative...

Seems Trump is about to sign a treaty ending the Afghan war and bring US troops home from there in the next few months...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartanntp

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...062940394.html
      I think we will suddenly be held responsible for the barbarities that are part of the normal life in Afghanisatan. (The spelling is intentional)
      Trump will be vilified for making possible the abuse and oppression of women and children and the fact that the taliban continue to behave like the taliban.

I think the deal is ultimately a sham of the kind we saw in Vietnam, but I no longer see a point to our spending blood and treasure there.
      When the inevitable attacks come from terror groups in Afghan we should simply bomb them and whomever else is to blame.
      Last edited by Cambronnne; 28 Feb 20, 18:14.
      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Alternatively, how will Trump supporters spin this into a positive, after years of proclaiming that the US should never negotiate with terrorists.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

I think we will suddenly be held responsible for the barbarities that are part of the normal life in Afghanisatan. (The spelling is intentional)
          Trump will be vilified for making possible the abuse and oppression of women and children and the fact that the taliban continue to behave like the taliban.

I think the deal is ultimately a sham of the kind we saw in Vietnam, but I no longer see a point to our spending blood and treasure there.
          When the inevitable attacks come from terror groups in Afghan we should simply bomb them and whomever else is to blame.
          Yeah, ... this just ends USA involvement (maybe) but the Taliban will continue and so will the war/conflict in that region. Taliban were a product aided and encouraged by factions within the Pakistan ISI to fill the void in that region when Russia withdrew @ three decades ago.

The Taliban are not changing their ideology or goals, so this is no help to the people of Afghanistan whom don't want to be fundamentalist Islamic Jihadis. It will likely be a big help to the Taliban. We likely we be back there again in the future.
          TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

Yeah, ... this just ends USA involvement (maybe) but the Taliban will continue and so will the war/conflict in that region. Taliban were a product aided and encouraged by factions within the Pakistan ISI to fill the void in that region when Russia withdrew @ three decades ago.

The Taliban are not changing their ideology or goals, so this is no help to the people of Afghanistan whom don't want to be fundamentalist Islamic Jihadis. It will likely be a big help to the Taliban. We likely we be back there again in the future.
            I agree. Hopefully, in the future we will not make the mistake of trying to nation build in a place firmly rooted in the 6th century.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

I agree. Hopefully, in the future we will not make the mistake of trying to nation build in a place firmly rooted in the 6th century.
              Yeah, "nation building" isn't a hand it down sort of operation. It's a "hand up" where there has to be some level of desire and initiative shown by the nation wanting to rise up and improve. Sort of like our educational system where the students have to desire to learn and want to in order for their teacher to really be effective.
              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

In most wars and most countries the US has fought in the last century or so, the most potent weapon the American soldier has when it comes to nation building is his paycheck...

Comment

20 years and countless lives and dollars later. What will it take to change this opinion then? A second term for Trump?
                  Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post

20 years and countless lives and dollars later. What will it take to change this opinion then? A second term for Trump?
                    Trump has nothing to do with it.
                    My point is simply that if they attack us, we should retaliate and forget about nation building.

I really hope you aren’t looking for a way to condemn the victim of the hypothetical terror attack for fighting back.
                    Every nation has a right to respond to an unprovoked attack on its people.

Comment

My point is simply that if they attack us, we should retaliate and forget about nation building.

I really hope you aren’t looking for a way to condemn the victim of the hypothetical terror attack for fighting back.
                      Of course not condemning about that, just wondering why the change of heart now. There are plenty of people here, who I assume now quietly approve the peace and withdrawal, who would have condemned it with the strictest of words 20 years ago, or for example when Obama was in charge.
                      Wisdom is personal

Comment

No Afghani attacked the US
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Afghanistan is an interesting country with a diverse history that has gone through communism, monarchism, Islamic rule and more.

The Taliban want to have an enduring legacy on Afghanistan. The Taliban we’re fought against in the late 80s as well as in more recent times by the people of Afghanistan. The question I have is what will Afghanistan look like 25 years from now? The hope is that it will look similar to the United States if the right people get in power.

As for the peace agreement the op discusses...Are the Taliban going to send an envoy to the White House to meet with Donald Trump or Pence?

I Wonder what GWB thinks of this recent peace agreement.
                          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Snowshoveler View Post
                            The war is lost as long as the Taliban can keep regrouping inside a safe territory in Pakistan there is no winning Afghanistan as they’ll eventually take back control it’s the same problem that the Russians had

If the Taliban shelters Islamic terrorists again and there’s another major terrorist attack against Americans the US will probably not make the same mistake twice and Pakistan will also be invaded making sure that the Taliban can’t re-emerge again
                            Hopefully the Taliban won’t test fate again and they don’t get involved with groups like Al Qaeda again

Pakistan like India has its controversies. Whether one likes them or not they are allies of the USA. Both Pakistan and India are nuclear armend so it’s good to have them on our side. Pakistan’s current leader is a famous cricket player maybe some good can come from that.
                            Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 29 Feb 20, 09:39.
                            Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                            Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post

Pakistan like India has its controversies. Whether one likes them or not they are allies of the USA. Both Pakistan and India are nuclear armend so it’s good to have them on our side. Pakistan’s current leader is a famous cricket player maybe some good can come from that.
                              Only fools believe that Pakistan has been an ally let alone a good one to the US since 9/11

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X