Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good is this?

A fantastic new article on The intelligence coup of the century

For decades, the CIA read the encrypted communications of allies and adversaries.
    ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
    2) Enjoy playing it
    3) Enjoy sharing it
    4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

I can see that happening. It is the sort of operation the CIA does quite well. That is, it involves a known, fixed set of parameters, technology, and methods that fit well into a structured bureaucracy. The operation would run for years or decades so it became increasingly proficient at its specific and well defined mission.

Where the CIA fails miserably is in the sort of personal spy activity you see glamorized in movies. That is, they don't do nearly as well with the human factor in the field simply because such agents and systems don't fit neatly into a bureaucratic world and mindset.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      I can see that happening. It is the sort of operation the CIA does quite well. That is, it involves a known, fixed set of parameters, technology, and methods that fit well into a structured bureaucracy. The operation would run for years or decades so it became increasingly proficient at its specific and well defined mission.

Where the CIA fails miserably is in the sort of personal spy activity you see glamorized in movies. That is, they don't do nearly as well with the human factor in the field simply because such agents and systems don't fit neatly into a bureaucratic world and mindset.
      And because the CIA hoards information and does not share it in a timely and useful fashion.

Furthermore, despite the racial mixture of America, the CIA is an almost total failure at recruiting HUMINT agents. They can't even find all of the translators they need.

But they are very good at spying on American citizens.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        But they are very good at spying on American citizens.
        Did you support the Patriot Act because the word "Patriot" was in the name? It's a slick little trick propagandists do. Some people will fall in love with the act just because of that name.
        "If you're against the patriot act, you hate America and patriots!"
        GWB gave us that little gem.

How bout Citizens United? Support that because of the name? That's called putting gift wrap on a pile of sh*t Works on some..

Comment

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
          Did you support the Patriot Act because the word "Patriot" was in the name? It's a slick little trick propagandists do. Some people will fall in love with the act just because of that name.
          "If you're against the patriot act, you hate America and patriots!"
          GWB gave us that little gem.
          No. I speak reasonably good Gov-speak, also known as "gobble-de-gook", and I'm well aware of the use of buzz words to conceal distasteful government programs.

How does this relate to the CIA's constant intelligence failures?

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

No. I speak reasonably good Gov-speak, also known as "gobble-de-gook", and I'm well aware of the use of buzz words to conceal distasteful government programs.
            Does it bother you that there's people who think it's something good just because of the name?

How does this relate to the CIA's constant intelligence failures?
            You mentioned the CIA spies on the American people extremely well. As if you have distaste for it. I brought up the Patriot Act because a lot of republicans support that program. How can you hate the CIA spying on Americans but like a program that gives the govt the power to spy on it's citizens?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X