No announcement yet.

Nonpartisan GAO concludes Trump administration broke the law in Ukraine's aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nonpartisan GAO concludes Trump administration broke the law in Ukraine's aid

https://www.gao.gov/about/press-cent...mb-ukraine.htm

The following is a statement from Thomas H. Armstrong, Esq., General Counsel, U.S. Government Accountability Office, regarding a legal decision issued on January 16, 2020:

“Today, GAO issued a legal decision concluding that the Office of Management and Budget violated the law when it withheld approximately $214 million appropriated to DOD for security assistance to Ukraine. The President has narrow, limited authority to withhold appropriations under the Impoundment Control Act of 1974. OMB told GAO that it withheld the funds to ensure that they were not spent “in a manner that could conflict with the President’s foreign policy.” The law does not permit OMB to withhold funds for policy reasons.” The full decision can be found here:
    https://www.gao.gov/products/B-331564

One more reason to subpoena the Trump administration's staff , including the legal counselors of the WH and of the OMB and see how they came to an opposite conclusion and if they were pressured by the WH.
    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

So you are demanding that Biden and his son be sent to prison for their role in withholding those funds? Or just Trump?

BTW: The GAO is NOT "bipartisan" any more than the FBI or the IRS is.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      So you are demanding that Biden and his son be sent to prison for their role in withholding those funds? Or just Trump?

I fixed the last part and made it "nonpartisan"

Threatening to withhold funds does not violate any law. One can accomplish such withholding in a very legal way. If a threat is a crime then Trump can be accused of committing war crimes when he threatened to bomb cultural centers in Iran.
      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

No....of course not.....democrats are allowed to do it.....

Watch as the posters with TDS defend Biden but go after Trump....

...but it's TRUMP!!!!!!
        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

...but it's TRUMP!!!!!!
          See previous post. I have already addressed your counterpoint before you even typed it

Comment

...but it's TRUMP!!!!!!
            Yeah...
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

See previous post. I have already addressed your counterpoint before you even typed it
              Your edit has no effect on what I posted.

I know....but it's TRUMP!!!!!!

Try again.
              "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Biden didn't break the law. He was carrying out US foreign policy which has been shown more than once on this forum. The GAO is nonpartisan, as is the FBI and the intelligence services.

It is a great shame that too many on this forum see everything through a partisan lens and can't seem to get past party affiliation and support the nation.

Comment

Your edit has no effect on what I posted.

I know....but it's TRUMP!!!!!!

Try again.
                  Did I say my edit have anything to do with what you posted? My edit was to address the correct observation by Mountain that the GAO is not bipartisan.

The thing that I wrote than had to do with what you posted was that a THREAT of withholding aid does not break any law. A president or his VP who was assigned to speak on behalf of him can still make such threat. He may bluff or he may believe that he can legally stop the aid. And if he is wrong, and his legal staff tells him "Mr President, what you want to do is actually illegal," and he cannot convince the House to change the aid policy, he can back down. So, a threat does not establish the breaking of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Biden didn't break the law.
                    He did the same exact thing that Trump is accused of.....except Trump didn't tell the Ukrainians to do something or not get the funding.

Comment

Did I say my edit have anything to do with what you posted?
                      Yes, you did as a matter of fact:

........but it's TRUMP!!!!!!!

Try again.

Comment

Yes, you did as a matter of fact:

........but it's TRUMP!!!!!!!

Try again.
                        So, you did not read the post and could not figure out which part of it had already addressed the counterpoint you made.

Try again to read it...

Threatening to withhold funds does not violate any law. One can accomplish such withholding in a very legal way. If a threat is a crime then Trump can be accused of committing war crimes when he threatened to bomb cultural centers in Iran.

Comment

He did the same exact thing that Trump is accused of.....except Trump didn't tell the Ukrainians to do something or not get the funding.

No, he didn't. What he did was root out corruption in Ukraine and was carrying out the foreign policy of the United States. He wasn't doing that for his own personal gain or benefit. Trump's crime is that he was pursuing favor from the Ukrainian government for his own benefit. If you cannot see beyond partisan politics then I suggest you have a very large ethical problem. And, again, you are defending Trump...

Comment

So, you did not read the post and could not figure out which part of it had already addressed the counterpoint you made.
                            I read the post, you screwed up and now you are attempting to deflect......

Try again....

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

No, he didn't. What he did was root out corruption in Ukraine
                              Root out corruption by telling them to fire the guy investigating the company that his son worked for......and if they didn't fire him, they wouldn't get the aid.......?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X