2020 candidates must recuse themselves from impeachment trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 candidates must recuse themselves from impeachment trial

I don't see how they can't recluse themselves from this.

Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) said on Wednesday that Democratic senators running for the party's 2020 nomination should recuse themselves from taking part in President Trump's impeachment trial.

“Tomorrow, one hundred United States Senators will be sworn in to serve in the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump. Four of those Senators must recuse themselves for their unparalleled political interest in seeing this President removed from office," Blackburn said in a statement.

She added that Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Michael Bennet (D-Colo.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) "cannot sit in judgment of the very President they seek to replace."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...eachment-trial
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

I don’t think that they would have to recuse themselves.
    The political self interest in any impeachment proceeding is inherently part of the system.
    The framers of the constitution had to be aware of this and the fact that the Constitution is silent on the issue of recusal must be interpreted as permitting it.

The opposing political party will always have such an interest in voting out the other side, even if they aren’t presidential candidates.

I agree that there is self interest, but no one expects them to be honest or impartial about it.
    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
      The political self interest in any impeachment proceeding is inherently part of the system.
      The framers of the constitution had to be aware of this and the fact that the Constitution is silent on the issue of recusal must be interpreted as permitting it.

The opposing political party will always have such an interest in voting out the other side, even if they aren’t presidential candidates.

I agree that there is self interest, but no one expects them to be honest or impartial about it.
      Good points.....

My only question now would be; if the dems foundation on impeachment was that Trump was trying to influence the 2020 election regarding Biden.......what's the difference?
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

Good points.....

My only question now would be; if the dems foundation on impeachment was that Trump was trying to influence the 2020 election regarding Biden.......what's the difference?

Good point. But the entire impeachment circus was about the 2020 election.
        If it was based on anything other than that, the dems would have immediately sent the articles to the Senate. Instead, they sat on them and tried to pressure the senate into another circus where they make the rules.

This entire process has been an exercise in hypocrisy, but if the dems didn’t have double standards, they wouldn’t have any.

On the plus side, this seems to be helping trump more than hurting him.
        Despite this, the dems have already promised to impeach trump again.
        I guess they are concerned about the voters being allowed to select the president again.
        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

This is just tit-for-tat nonsense. The Democrats are calling for various Republicans to recuse themselves too. None of it's going to happen. But, for the presidential candidates, this is a major inconvenience. The trial forces them to be in Washington just as the Iowa primary is about to take place. It will knock their campaigning into a ditch.

Comment

This is so far off-base that it is just another of many bits of disinformation out there.

Pelosi, who had told us last month how serious and solemn it all is and how she has no hate in her heart for Trump.... she was passing out pens that she used to sign the articles of impeachment as if she was MacArthur in Tokyo Bay.

The war is on, and there is not a single one of them that would miss it for the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Phaing View Post
              This is so far off-base that it is just another of many bits of disinformation out there.

Pelosi, who had told us last month how serious and solemn it all is and how she has no hate in her heart for Trump.... she was passing out pens that she used to sign the articles of impeachment as if she was MacArthur in Tokyo Bay.

The war is on, and there is not a single one of them that would miss it for the world.
              Get your popcorn ready!
              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post

Get your popcorn ready!
                I know what you are saying but.... I'm just not hungry.
                Not for this, not with that lying creep Schiff leading the charge.

Comment

Theoretically, every federally elected official is in the line of succession (however distant) for the Presidency. Virtually every national politician would need to recuse themselves.
                  ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                  2) Enjoy playing it
                  3) Enjoy sharing it
                  4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
                    Theoretically, every federally elected official is in the line of succession (however distant) for the Presidency. Virtually every national politician would need to recuse themselves.
                    Does the American Constitrution allow for "Proxy voting"?
                    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

Does the American Constitrution allow for "Proxy voting"?
                      Only if you're a Democrat. "Vote early, vote often!" Proxy voting is a derivative of ballot harvesting don't ya know?

Comment

Good point. But the entire impeachment circus was about the 2020 election.
                        If it was based on anything other than that, the dems would have immediately sent the articles to the Senate. Instead, they sat on them and tried to pressure the senate into another circus where they make the rules.

This entire process has been an exercise in hypocrisy, but if the dems didn’t have double standards, they wouldn’t have any.

On the plus side, this seems to be helping trump more than hurting him.
                        Despite this, the dems have already promised to impeach trump again.
                        I guess they are concerned about the voters being allowed to select the president again.
                        Actually impeachment is about Trump over reaching and stealing powers that lay with congress. Trump made it impossible for a law legaly passed by congress to be followed.

Granted this has been going on for a while it just Trump has taken a bit further than Obama did.

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
                          Granted this has been going on for a while it just Trump has taken a bit further than Obama did.
                          I don't think any president has taken anywhere near as Obama did:

https://apnews.com/27e8179cf10140dca...nds-to-dollars

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                            I don't see how they can't recluse themselves from this.

[I]Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) said on Wednesday that Democratic senators running for the party's 2020 nomination should recuse themselves from taking part in President Trump's impeachment trial.
                            Marsha Blackburn is both a moron and a Trump apologist.

It is interesting that you bring this subject up but apparently have no problem with Senators McConnell and Graham stating to the press that they had already made up their minds. That definitely is a cause for recusal because it is in violation of the oath they took today.

We are not now that strength which in old days
                            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                              Marsha Blackburn is both a moron and a Trump apologist.
                              There was no doubt that you would defend your party's line, really no need for you to respond with your above partisan opinion.

Regarding the OP, also no need for you to respond, Cambronnne gave me non partisan knowledge that I was looking for.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X