Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Imminent' Senate Impeachment Trial

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/polit...ial/index.html

The imminent final act of America's impeachment ordeal will be played for far higher political stakes than might be expected given the all-but-guaranteed acquittal of President Donald Trump in his trial in the Republican-led Senate.

The long wait for the trial to begin -- nearly four weeks pulsating with political gamesmanship after the House voted to consign Trump to historic ignominy -- finally looks to be over.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, will meet her troops on Tuesday and is expected to finally relent in her refusal to send the articles of impeachment to the other chamber -- a delay triggered by a bid to dictate the terms of the trial.

Finally, the Senate will get the chance to assess whether Trump, the third president ever impeached by the House, is guilty of the standard of "high crimes and misdemeanors" for trying to coerce Ukraine to dig up dirt on his possible 2020 election foe Joe Biden.
    The way that the public comes to view the climax of the scandal will shape the rest of the President's term, his hopes for a second one and the destiny of the Senate come November's elections.

Democrats hope to brand Republicans as shielding a historically corrupt President and to create a powerful line of argument for their eventual 2020 nominee, who will argue the episode shows Trump is unfit to stay in the White House.

But Trump is certain to view his escape as vindication of an impulsive and unchained leadership style -- while Republicans compete to show fealty to a President who dominates his party like few of his predecessors.

The speaker is using every last drop of her power to keep Washington on tenterhooks. Asked by CNN on Monday whether she had chosen impeachment managers to make the case in the Senate that Trump abused his power in Ukraine, then covered it up, she replied: "When I do, I'll let you know."

House Democrats are expected to vote as early as Wednesday to appoint the mangers, a step that will grind constitutional gears across the Capitol, where senators will be sworn in and the dramatic trial steered by Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts will begin within days.

We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/polit...ent/index.html

High-profile Republican swing vote Sen. Susan Collins of Maine said Monday she likes to dig into the facts of a matter she is considering. That's why she said she's pushing to have a chance to call witnesses in the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump, should she feel after opening arguments they are needed.

"Obviously I would not be advocating for language to be included in the governing resolution if I did not anticipate at the end of hearing the case presented, and the q-and-a, that there might be a need for more information," said the veteran Maine senator who is working with a small group of Republicans to try to find a path forward on the issue.

A reporter noted that she had voted for witnesses during the Clinton impeachment trial and pressed for more investigations into the allegations against now Supreme Court Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

"I tend to like information," she said.
    Collins declined to say if the small group she's in talks with is as many as four senators, the number needed to compel testimony: "I am not going to answer that question."
    When a reporter kept pressing, she responded exasperated.
    "I am not going to go through this for the 80th time," she said, as an elevator door closed saving her from any more questions.
    One of those senators Collins is talking to is Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska who said Monday she's been "working" to make sure the Senate trial includes a process to vote on having "witnesses or documents" if needed.

Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

CNN reporting.......nuff said.

Polosi sat on this "urgent" matter for almost a month. CNN is spinning again.....
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Do you actually read the articles or do you merely post your innate prejudice against CNN?

You always defend Trump no matter what-why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
          Do you actually read the articles or do you merely post your innate prejudice against CNN?

You always defend Trump no matter what-why is that?
          The articles are clearly driven by CNN's inate prejudice towards Trump. You initiating two articles to start one thread clearly shows your image prejudice towards Trump. One article isn't enough so post two before anyone responds.......

I'm not defending Trump, I'm pointing out the blatant false facts being generated by the left that is going to unfortunately get Trump re elected.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

The articles are clearly driven by CNN's inate prejudice towards Trump. You initiating two articles to start one thread clearly shows your image prejudice towards Trump.

I'm not defending Trump, I'm pointing out the blatant false facts being generated by the left that is going to unfortunately get Trump re elected.
            No, you're defending Trump no matter what he does or says. If you weren't you wouldn't post as you do.

Comment

No, you're defending Trump no matter what he does or says. If you weren't you wouldn't post as you do.
              Wrong, try again.

Comment

Comment

Here ya go.....a dose of reality for you:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi damaged cross-party relations and ignored the needs of the American people by withholding articles of impeachment against the president from the Senate, Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, said Saturday.

Appearing on "Fox & Friends," Roy accused Pelosi, D-Calif., of knowing "full well" she made a mistake in holding the articles, which passed in the House more than three weeks ago.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rep-ch...rticles-senate

Comment

Here ya go.....a dose of reality for you:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi damaged cross-party relations and ignored the needs of the American people by withholding articles of impeachment against the president from the Senate, Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, said Saturday.

Appearing on "Fox & Friends," Roy accused Pelosi, D-Calif., of knowing "full well" she made a mistake in holding the articles, which passed in the House more than three weeks ago.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rep-ch...rticles-senate
                    Fox News as 'reality'? I never knew that you were a comedian. Well done.

Comment

CNN reporting.......nuff said.

Polosi sat on this "urgent" matter for almost a month. CNN is spinning again.....
                      If you disagree with any article posted, CNN, ABC, AP, Reuters, etc., then post something that negates them or proves them wrong. You don't do that, you merely lump them into a group that you don't like without evidence-just like Trump.

Comment

If you disagree with any article posted by Fox News, then post something that negates them or proves them wrong. You don't do that, you merely lump them into a group that you don't like without evidence-just like your political party.

Comment

The "case" should be dismissed since Trump is not being charged with anything that exists within our legal code.
                          {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Yet, you accept everything CNN says as gospel truth...

Comment

If you disagree with any article posted by Fox News, then post something that negates them or proves them wrong. You don't do that, you merely lump them into a group that you don't like without evidence-just like your political party.
                              Fox is nothing more than the Trump News Channel. If that cannot be either recognized or admitted, then problems are actually worse than they appear.

And for the umpteenth time, I don't have a political party, I'm a registered independent.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X