Facebook Censoring Pro-Iranian Posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Censoring Pro-Iranian Posts

Facebook has admitted to selectively censoring pro-Iranian government Instagram posts about the murdered General Soleimani, as US President Donald Trump hypocritically championed free speech and warned Tehran against censorship.

Instagram has confirmed that they have been removing posts that voice support for Qassem Soleimani, with a Facebook spokesperson claiming that censorship is fully justified in order to comply with US sanctions. Instagram is one of the few social media platforms that is not blocked in Iran, and it is where many within the country went to fuel outrage over the US assassination strike in Iraq last week.

The International Federation of Journalists condemned the censorship effort as “unprecedented in the history of social networks and in conflict with the very innate actuality of media.”
    https://www.rt.com/news/478044-insta...mp-censorship/
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

RT blames Trump .....

Is this also Trump's fault:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo...1775461006/amp

Critical thinking.....
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Suleimani was not murdered

Comment

Why does Facebook have to do anything except make money and obey the laws of its host country?

Its not a public service, its a profit making business

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
          Why does Facebook have to do anything except make money and obey the laws of its host country?

Its not a public service, its a profit making business
          Tell that to all the Trump supporters who want to bring Twitter and Facebook down for not allowing hate speech.
          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
          - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Before demanding removal of material that someone personally finds offensive, folks should remember that if they can do it over there, they can do it over here.
            ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
            2) Enjoy playing it
            3) Enjoy sharing it
            4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Anything that comes from RT must be taken with a grain of salt.

In any case, people in this thread need to actually read the key claim.

Facebook has admitted to selectively censoring pro-Iranian government Instagram posts about the murdered General Soleimani, as US President Donald Trump hypocritically championed free speech and warned Tehran against censorship.

Instagram has confirmed that they have been removing posts that voice support for Qassem Soleimani, with a
              Facebook spokesperson claiming that censorship is fully justified in order to comply with US sanctions. Instagram is one of the few social media platforms that is not blocked in Iran, and it is where many within the country went to fuel outrage over the US assassination strike in Iraq last week.

The International Federation of Journalists
              condemned the censorship effort as “unprecedented in the history of social networks and in conflict with the very innate actuality of media.”

The claim is not that facebook as a private company made a decision to remove certain pro-Iranian posts.

The (implied) claim is that Facebook HAD to remove certain pro-Iranian material in order to comply with the US sanctions. So, they make it sound like that they did not have an option because they were bounded by the US law.

I do not know how such sanctions can enforce censorship on facebook. I will let you search and talk about it. I just wanted to point the key detail that was not mentioned in any of the comments so far.
              Last edited by pamak; 12 Jan 20, 01:25.
              My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Google removed hundreds of pro-Chinese channels from Youtube. What sanctions made them do that?

These social media companies play a significant role in limiting the differing perspectives that Americans are allowed to be exposed to. They're just as much apart of the globalist apparatus as CNN, Fox etc.
                - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                  Google removed hundreds of pro-Chinese channels from Youtube. What sanctions made them do that?

These social media companies play a significant role in limiting the differing perspectives that Americans are allowed to be exposed to.
                  As for the Chinese, from what I can briefly recall we did have certain sanctions (and I do not count tariffs)

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/08/china-strongly-urges-us-to-remove-sanctions-and-stop-accusing-it-of-human-rights-violations.html

China ‘strongly urges’ US to remove sanctions and stop accusing it of human rights violations

It is still plausible though that the facebook spokesman is just BSing us. I cannot take any stance without searching the details, and I have spent too much time in other threads to start a new adventure in this one. I just gave some input to those who will show interest in discussing the issue of this thread. And the thing that stands out is facebook's claim about the US sanctions which somehow forced it to censor pro-Iranian posts or (I guess) face certain consequences.
                  My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

As for the Chinese, from what I can briefly recall we did have certain sanctions (and I do not count tariffs)

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/08/china-strongly-urges-us-to-remove-sanctions-and-stop-accusing-it-of-human-rights-violations.html

China ‘strongly urges’ US to remove sanctions and stop accusing it of human rights violations

It is still plausible though that the that facebook spokesman is just BSing us. I cannot take any stance without searching the details and I have spent too much time in other threads to start a new adventure in this one. I just gave some input for those who will show interest in discussing the issue of this thread. And the thing that stands out is facebook's claim about the US sanctions which somehow forced it to censor pro-Iranian posts.
                    There are no sanctions that prohibit them from having positive videos online.
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

There are no sanctions that prohibit them from having positive videos online.
                      Do you know if the laws prohibit or punish companies that somehow and in some way are perceived to aid the propaganda of certain countries or organizations? Did not you just talk in a recent thread about the possible financial consequences of universities which may be seen as letting the free expression of the boycott movement against Israel?

Everybody should know that these companies put money above anything else: Is not it common knowledge that google in China follows the government's directives regarding the topics that should be available to the Chinese public?
                      Last edited by pamak; 12 Jan 20, 01:48.

Comment

A post by SRV Ron was deleted for using an ethnic slur. This type of behaviour had never been acceptable here.
                        Further posts of this type will result in further action
                        thank you

ACG staff

Comment

Tell that to all the Trump supporters who want to bring Twitter and Facebook down for not allowing hate speech.
                          I’m sorry. How do you define “hate speech”?
                          Is it something that can be determined objectively and agreed on by society as a whole?
                          Or is it just everything that you (or liberals) dislike?

”Hate speech” is intentionally vague so that those who seek to suppress free speech don’t have to explain why certain speech can’t be heard. Hate speech depends entirely on your point of view, not on objective facts. (Feelings, not facts)

Is saying that only 2 biological genders hate speech?
                          How about flying a confederate flag? If that is hat4e speech, can we also ban the Soviet flag? They killed and oppressed far more people for far longer.

Weird how you trust FB and twitter to define conservative views as hate speech.
                          Are conservative views inherently hate speech?
                          Wouldn’t such a belief be easily defined as hate speech too?

Let me know if the application of simple logic is hate speech too.

Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

The Facebook censoring Pics of posters being bullied for what they posted.

Providing they pass ACG approval.

“Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Facebook, with it's interests forums, has become far more relevant for veterans, modelers, and gamers then Armchair General, which has deteriorated into hate politics. There is no longer anything worth posting about in the forum. It just only causes fights, results in name calling, and raises my blood pressure.

Don't be surprise if a lot of my IMGUR links vanish as I do a through housecleaning to organize it.

Bye
                              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X