Iran Finally Admits That It Shot Down the Ukrainian Airliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
    What is this thread doing in North America forum?
    There is a another country in "North America"...

The numbers have been changing as information becomes available, but roughly, of the 176 people killed, 138 had connections to Canada (family, students, residents) including 57 Canadian citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmart View Post

The numbers have been changing as information becomes available, but roughly, of the 176 people killed, 138 had connections to Canada (family, students, residents) including 57 Canadian citizens.
      One can see their photos in the Canadian site.

https://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/flightps752/

Names and hijabs make it clear that we have many Canadians of Iranian origin among the victims which is perfectly logical since the plane was connecting with a flight to Canada. And I doubt that a Canadian of Iranian origin who did not feel any strong connection to his heritage would decide to have vacations in Iran.

I have not seen the details, but I think that even many of the Canadian passengers are actually Canadian Iranians. That is the same thing I encounter when I travel back and forth to Greece. The planes are full with many American Greeks. We often start talking and I can clearly see that they carry the blue American passport instead of the red Greek one.
      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

There are 23 Countries in North America!
        Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post

There are 23 Countries in North America!
          Oops, I generally think of North America as separate from Central America, but I guess continentally there's only a North and South America, and not a Central America...

Comment

So, the question is; what is Canada going to do about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Phaing View Post

So, the question is; what is Canada going to do about this?
              Outside of pressing for victims compensation and pushing for full disclosure on the incident, there's not a lot we can do.

Canada hasn't had diplomatic relations with Iran for a few years now and we don't trade very much with them either, so neither of those options is really available to make a statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
                What is this thread doing in North America forum?
                Some lefties are attempting to blame Trump for Iran shooting down the plane.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/01/10...ssenger-plane/
                "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

Arguing that Trump's actions actually make us less safe is legitimate criticism
                  My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

Hate to break the news Chief, but the Federalist isn't a left wing publication.......
                    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post

Outside of pressing for victims compensation and pushing for full disclosure on the incident, there's not a lot we can do.

Canada hasn't had diplomatic relations with Iran for a few years now and we don't trade very much with them either, so neither of those options is really available to make a statement.
                      Yeah, with virtually no political or economic ties to begin with, it'll be tough to do anything. I think Iran admitting it shot the plane down goes a long way already to diffuse the situation.

I'm curious to see how it might affect Canada's engagement or lack thereof regarding any future developments in the area, mostly regarding US vs Iran. I suspect nothing much would change. I don't know if any Canadian navy ships have operated in the area to enforce sanctions, but if they have (or will in the future) that wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary in terms of Canada's participation in such enforcement, as it already often does.

If the situation becomes more hot or bullets start flying, would Canada send any air or naval assets and would that decision be influenced by the shooting down of the airliner? I'd say if it becomes a solid international effort then Canada would likely participate, but if it is basically a unilateral US action, then unlikely. I don't think shooting down the airliner would affect Canada's decision to involve itself or not.

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

Hate to break the news Chief, but the Federalist isn't a left wing publication.......
                        Hate to break the news Reg, the article is reporting on lefties claiming it's Trump's fault.
                        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

C'mon guys, can we have just one thread on this board that doesn't degenerate into petty partisan politics? 176 people that have nothing to do with any of this are dead...

Comment

Did Iran grant all 12 visas for Canada’s rapid response team? As of Friday, they only issued 2 of 12.
                            "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Arguing that Trump's actions actually make us less safe is legitimate criticism
                              Yes it does. Killing the Iranian terrorist was a tactical victory, but probably a strategic mistake. And the shooting down of the airliner was a consequence of the air strike on the Iranian terrorist.
                              We are not now that strength which in old days
                              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

C'mon guys, can we have just one thread on this board that doesn't degenerate into petty partisan politics? 176 people that have nothing to do with any of this are dead...
                                You are absolutely correct. The 176 victims aboard the aircraft had nothing to do with any of this. But the firing of the two missiles that took down the aircraft are an indirect consequence of the air strike that killed the Iranian terrorist. Actions of people and nations have consequences. Unforunately, innocents often pay a price that they did not owe.
                                We are not now that strength which in old days
                                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X