Pompeo sticks up for U.S. presence as Iraq votes to eject foreign troops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeo sticks up for U.S. presence as Iraq votes to eject foreign troops

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday defended the U.S. military's presence in Iraq shortly before the Middle Eastern nation's parliament voted to demand that foreign forces there withdraw following the death of an Iranian general in an American airstrike.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-troops-093961

Did our "intelligence" services predict the Iraqi parliaments vote? If not don't blame Trump.
    We hunt the hunters

How can the posters here explain this development?

Was it the ghost of the Iranian General which organized such Iraqi reaction?

As I have said before when the Iraqis started protests outside the US embassy in Baghdad, the US actions there (without the Iraqi approval and knowledge of the strikes) risk alienate Iraq even more. And this will come naturally regardless of what Iran does.
    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

Did our "intelligence" services predict the Iraqi parliaments vote? If not don't blame Trump.
      I am pretty sure that every course of action that is briefed to a president has some attempt to highlight the risks associated with that COA. I doubt that Trump was not aware that killing the Iranian General did not come with certain risks.
      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

The Iraqis are upset now but they’ll get over it like Pakistan did

Comment

Originally posted by Snowshoveler View Post
          The Iraqis are upset now but they’ll get over it like Pakistan did
          You should not compare Pakistan to Iraq when the latter has a much more bloody history as a result of idiotic and unilateral US actions. While it is true that the Iraqi politicians may end up in the end to continue tolerate the US presence in the region, the attitude of the populations there is another matter. And no politician or country (including Iran) can have the control of all the people there.

Comment

Anyone with a little common sense would be able to predict the vote.

Nonetheless it doesn't matter what Pompeo thinks. It's not his country, so not his choice who gets to stay there.
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
            - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Latest news would seem to indicate that the US government asked the Iraqi government to open negotiations with Iran, and this is the reason the general was sent to Iraq...and then USA simply moved into assassinate him. Who else are you going to blame but Trump?

According to Iraqi PM Trump personally called him to arrange this. Good luck getting anyone to trust you after this.

In any case, it seems like you've practically handed Iraq to Iran.
              Last edited by Karri; 05 Jan 20, 16:13.
              Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post

Latest news would seem to indicate that the US government asked the Iraqi government to open negotiations with Iran, and this is the reason the general was sent to Iraq...and then USA simply moved into assassinate him. Who else are you going to blame but Trump?
                Where did you read that?

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Where did you read that?
                  Twitter, so take a with a ton of salt.
                  Wisdom is personal

Comment

Twitter, so take a with a ton of salt.
                    This can very well come from Iranian propaganda. Without any details, it is not worth talking about it

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

Anyone with a little common sense would be able to predict the vote.

Nonetheless it doesn't matter what Pompeo thinks. It's not his country, so not his choice who gets to stay there.
                      GREAT point. So- leave...
                      there is ABSOLUTELY NO aMERICAN INTEREST SERVED BY STAYING..
                      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Soleimani didn’t need to be invited he came and went into Iraq whenever he wished

https://www.longwarjournal.org/archi...crosshairs.php

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

This can very well come from Iranian propaganda. Without any details, it is not worth talking about it
                          Eh, if Trump's Twitter is a credible source so is the rest of it.
                          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Eh, if Trump's Twitter is a credible source so is the rest of it.

Comment

I find the reaction some what odd, I asked a question and then I'm asked to answer it.

Even if Trump was warned that the Iraqis would vote to expel the U.S. military perhaps that is what Trump wanted. It would also seem to be what many voted for in electing Obama. Keep in mind Trump could not withdraw without offending the Republican warhawks. Trump the swamp cleaner isn't going to make anyone in the establishment or on the left happy.

The question is if the Sunnis and Kurds in Iraq are now being pushed towards civil war. Certainly the Saudis must be getting paranoid. Trump may be doing what he did in Syria, letting them fight until they come to their senses. Hoping someone else can broker some sort of stability.

Since the U.S. is energy independent instability in the region is a bigger problem for Europe than the U.S. It's time for the Europeans to step up and deal with the problem. This is their chance to show the world they are more competent peace makers than the U.S. as they have been asserting for generations.

Here is what our European friends should keep in mind. The piles of bodies were higher when Iraq and Iran were at war than during the entire 20 years of U.S. intervention. That is how military asymmetry works. Non intervention is not the humanitarian option accept where military asymmetry is neutered by special conditions such as those the Russians faced in Afghanistan. Those special conditions have not proven to exist in Iraq. More importantly if you think the Russians are the problem this is your chance to attack them through a proxy.

We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X