X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food for thought from a Democrat

He makes some valid points:
    https://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/ar...ww.foxnews.com
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Blagojevich: House Democrats Would Have Impeached Lincoln

I agree, Blago has a point.
    I'm sure he still has some bitterness at being thrown under the bus by fellow dems once he was a problem
    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

He's more right than wrong. Pelosi has all of maybe a week, ten days at the most before the impeachment becomes a joke of a witch hunt one more time. This time it's going to be her withholding the articles from the Senate. It goes like this:

The Democrats said, repeatedly, that Trump was such a grave and serious threat to the nation he had to be impeached before Christmas. Well, they did that. But, now Christmas and New Year have come and gone and Pelosi is sitting on the articles refusing to move them forward until she and Schumer get their way on a trial in the Senate.
      If that goes on another week plus, where's the urgency gone? Why hold up the trial?

Well, we know the answer to that.

The Democrats did a sloppy, botched job in the House rushing the articles through. They know on the evidence they have right now there's no way Trump gets convicted. It's all hearsay, rumor, and gossip. So, what they want is to retry the case in the Senate with new "surprise" witnesses, and forcing calling all the people they couldn't wait on and go to court on to get their subpoenas enforced in the senate trial.

They'd prefer a long, dragged out trail with all of the stuff the House didn't bother to do. It all flies in the face of normal US court procedure. Normally, both sides would do discovery and reveal all the evidence and witnesses they have. This would then be the basis for the trial. Not here. The articles by themselves are just a mechanism to get to a trail where the Democrats want to be able to call witnesses at will regardless.
      The Democrats don't want a "fair" trial, they want their trial, Republicans be damned.

The Republican leadership on the other hand would rather the whole thing just disappear. So, they refuse to play with the Democrats and the longer Pelosi sits on the articles, the more irrelevant the whole process becomes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
        Blagojevich: House Democrats Would Have Impeached Lincoln

I agree, Blago has a point.
        I'm sure he still has some bitterness at being thrown under the bus by fellow dems once he was a problem
        The Blago feels that he is morre wronged than righted.
        One could make the point that the Democratic party, as it existed pre 1861, would probably have tried to impeach Abraham Lincoln for his post 1861 actions.
        Last edited by marktwain; 02 Jan 20, 20:37.
        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

The Blago feels that he is morre wronged than righted.
          One could make the point that the Democratic party, as it existed pre 1861, would probably have tried to impeach Abraham Lincoln for his post 1861 actions.
          I have always thought blago was a corrupt insider. He is a product of the old Chicago Machine and owes his career to being the son in law of one of the major players in that machine.
          That said, I never understood why Blago's acts warranted such a harsh result.
          He wanted to be corrupt, but never got that far. At least in the sale of the senate seat.

I can only specualte, but have often wondered if his proximity to BO at the time made it necessary to discredit Blago as much as possible.
          I always expected Blago to spill some beans but he never did, so maybe I was wrong about him having dirt on important people.
          Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

I have always thought blago was a corrupt insider. He is a product of the old Chicago Machine and owes his career to being the son in law of one of the major players in that machine.
            That said, I never understood why Blago's acts warranted such a harsh result.
            He wanted to be corrupt, but never got that far. At least in the sale of the senate seat.

I can only speculate, but have often wondered if his proximity to BO at the time made it necessary to discredit Blago as much as possible.
            I always expected Blago to spill some beans but he never did, so maybe I was wrong about him having dirt on important people.
            The pre 1861 Democratic party members would probably form some version of the Dixiecrat party if teleported to 2020.- In twenty minutes or less...
            The right of the executive to use extended powers in an emergency was confirmed when the old line Republicans broke from the Radical Republicans and voted against confirming Andrew Johnson's impeachment.
            Beyond all the rhetoric, What Andrew Johnson did was attempt to curb reconstruction, to allow the States to re-enter the Union easily, , then work out their new arrangements with the Federal Government.
            Last edited by marktwain; 02 Jan 20, 14:03.

Comment

Vis a Vis Johnson, I think that he wasn't entirely wrong. The Radical Republicans did want to do some significant 'punishment' things which would have likely fomented a lot of even nastier issues than what the South ultimately did have.
              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I think Trump is right to attack these Democrats (Pelosi, Shift) in their home districts, they are a mess. I don't like how Pelosi, Shift, and Nadler have so tested the "unsaid and unwritten" (tradition?) parliamentary proceedings on how things are done in the House and the Senate. They are taking advantage to write "law" on how things are done forward, nothing can be assumed unless there is a case precedent.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                  Vis a Vis Johnson, I think that he wasn't entirely wrong. The Radical Republicans did want to do some significant 'punishment' things which would have likely fomented a lot of even nastier issues than what the South ultimately did have.
                  In Hindsight, which is always 20/20, removing the old order in the South and replacing it by piecemeal measures was doomed to failure. Black rights bills in exchange for state readmission would have been a better compromise.
                  Nathan Bedford forrest , or all people, proposed massive railroad construction with blacks paid both in wages and in land along the railroads.

Comment

It makes little sense to start comparing presidential and Congressional behaviors during periods of war or periods of crises in general and during periods of peace and supposedly prosperity. The criticism against a president cannot be independent from the climate in which he operates. And yes, presidential powers increase during periods of war and Congress is usually reluctant to challenge such powers (which often lead to abuses). But this does not mean that such condition should become permanent and exist even in times of stability.
                    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X