Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is time to mention for the sake of those from other nations and those who did not grow up immersed in the Cold War the reasons why America's current problems are causing so much controversy.

The Cold War sparked the beginnings of a massive program of contingency planning, initially based on targeting for SAC and on Civil Defense planning to survive a nuclear war. That spread rapidly into contingency planning for everything from the Armed Forces to the civilians agencies such as FEMA, CDC, AEC and all of the others. Now, in the 21st century, we have a massive bureaucracy of programmers and "thinkers" whose sole function is to come up with plans for anything and everything and to keep those plans constantly updated.

When Clancy was still alive and I was corresponding with him, he mentioned the wargaming done by Larry Bond to prove the basis of Red Storm Rising. Bond was a professional Pentagon contingency planner and had told Clancy that they spent their entire time exploring every variation of every possible event, and coming up with new combinations constantly, and then running them on the computers to test their validity, tweaking them constantly to keep them relevant and useful. Clancy swore that if Martians landed on the White House lawn, Bond has assured him that the government, the military and every civil agency had a set of plans somewhere telling them what to do and when to do it.

Remember the scene - my favorite - from Armageddon where Willis is distraught with NASA?

"You guys are NASA, for Christ's sake. You've got people making up plans and people backing them up...and this is all you've got?! Ahhh...JESUS!!"

It's beyond comprehension for Americans that our nation has no plans for an epidemic despite multiple prior epidemics, and no plans for the breakdown of the commodity supply system and food deliveries. Where did all of those contingency plans go? And since they are supposed to exist, why haven't they been implemented? At what point does the contingency system kick in? We mobilized a major portion of America to deal with KATRINA, a simple weather event...a storm. America is shutting down and there is no plan? The Stock Market routinely goes into contingency shutdown when unusual situations occur. There are even multiple are plans for the collapse of the government due to multiple causes including civil war, but none for this? Seriously?

So when you wonder why we seem so upset and often angry about this, remember that a lot of our tax money has allegedly been spent every year making sure we are prepared for events like this. Clearly, however, that money went somewhere else. Maybe when this is all over, the usual investigation will reveal to us who screwed up and why.

Of course, we already know some of the major factors that have come into play, such as On Time Delivery systems that cannot ope with shortages, and too much reliance on foreign suppliers who have not met their obligations, but there is certainly more going on here than we see.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• T. A. Gardner
      T. A. Gardner commented
      Editing a comment
      I met Larry Bond on two occasions. He was a junior officer in the Naval Reserve and not that sharp a guy. I was not impressed. In fact, Bond got really bent out of shape when I slammed him over the early versions of Harpoon and how unrealistic the rules were.

• Mountain Man
      Mountain Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      I met Larry Bond on two occasions. He was a junior officer in the Naval Reserve and not that sharp a guy. I was not impressed. In fact, Bond got really bent out of shape when I slammed him over the early versions of Harpoon and how unrealistic the rules were.
      Rally? And yet Clancy talked about him as though he was the font of all wisdom sitting on top of the Mystic Mountain.

Thanks for sharing that with me. I never met Bond myself.

• T. A. Gardner
      T. A. Gardner commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Rally? And yet Clancy talked about him as though he was the font of all wisdom sitting on top of the Mystic Mountain.

Thanks for sharing that with me. I never met Bond myself.
      Bond was into miniature wargaming. First time I met him was in LA at a wargame convention at the Hyatt near LAX. He was doing his Harpoon modern naval wargame rules. He was not happy with me pointing out a number of stupid scenarios you could run with them that contradicted even cursory reality like this Russian DD armed with quad 45mm AA guns (think something like a 40mm Bofors mount) being able to shoot down harpoon anti-ship missile after missile...

If I recall, he was a LTjg at the time in the Naval Reserve.

Nunes is not part of the solution to the problem, but is part of the problem:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/polit...rus/index.html
    Just a few days removed from suggesting that
    people should take advantage of the light crowds due to coronavirus and go out to eat
    and then blaming the media for reporting that he said what he said, the California Republican gave a long interview Wednesday with local conservative radio host
    Ray Appleton
    on the topic. And it is something else.

We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• T. A. Gardner
      T. A. Gardner commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

I hope your right, but the doctors I deal with are worried.

Even if corona virus is analogues to the flu, the question is it your run of the mill flu or the Spanish flu of 1918-1919.
      My doctor is always telling me things I ignore because I know she means well but it's useless to take the advice, like using fish oil for example.

• Massena
      Massena commented
      Editing a comment
      Then why is she your doctor?

• dgfred
      dgfred commented
      Editing a comment
      If people have to work at restaurants regardless... would not people using take out help out both the business and the individual?

It is confusing saying 'only essential' trips/employees... essential means something different to different people at different times.

They say food stores and pharmacies are going to stay open... but don't travel. Can't tell people to walk around their house because if everyone did it there would be a small crowd.

So strange.

It appears that the decision to defund the WHO is being partially reversed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/newsw...cid=spartandhp

U.S. President Donald Trump's administration is set to restore partial funding to the World Health Organization, Fox News reported late on Friday, citing a draft letter.

The Trump administration will "agree to pay up to what China pays in assessed contributions" to the WHO, Fox News reported, quoting from the letter.

Trump suspended U.S. contributions to the WHO on April 14, accusing it of promoting China's "disinformation" about the coronavirus outbreak and saying his administration would launch a review of the organization. WHO officials denied the claims and China has insisted it was transparent and open.

The United States was the WHO's biggest donor. If the U.S. matches China's contribution, as the Fox report adds, its new funding level will be about one-tenth of its previous funding amount of about $400 million per year.
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

• Nikki
      Nikki commented
      Editing a comment
      Below is a copy of the letter Trump wrote to the WHO Director-General Tedros.

The US suspended funding to the WHO on April 14 so we could reevaluate. Now, a month later, Trump wrote this letter to inform the WHO that they have 30 days to reform or funding will be permanently withheld. I don't see where it says partial funding will be restored.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...718395393?s=20

• Nikki
      Nikki commented
      Editing a comment

Trump threatens to keep WHO funding freeze in place after WH investigation

"I cannot allow American taxpayer dollars to continue to finance an organization that, in its present state, is so clearly not serving America's interests," the president concluded.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...reeze-in-place
      Last edited by Nikki; 19 May 20, 12:06.

• Salinator
      Salinator commented
      Editing a comment
      To hell with the WHO.

Paying the same amount as China is still too much. We should pay in ratio to what China pays calculated per capita.

Trump has no idea how to lead in a crisis...and worse, he doesn't want to...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp
    President Trump has proclaimed the latest phase of pandemic response the “transition to greatness.” But Trump appears poised to preside over the eventual transition more as a salesman and marketer than a decider.

Many consequential actions are being done by others. The nation’s governors are overseeing their states’ plans to reopen their economies. Business leaders are making their own choices about how their employees can safely and responsibly return to work. Treasury officials are negotiating with Congress the details of financial stimulus packages. And scientists and public health officials are leading the race for a vaccine.

The United States under Trump has also retreated from its historic position of global leadership, declining, for instance, to participate in a coronavirus summit with other nations earlier this month.

Comment

• Tsar
      Tsar commented
      Editing a comment
      So Ashley Parker and Philip Rucker have no understanding of the constitution. They must have missed that pesky X amendment which says that the governors are the ones responsible for their individual states, and while O’Bama fired the CEO of GM it doesn’t make the government the dictator of all things business. Further imagine the horror of treasury experts discussing with congress how to make the economy work better, unimaginable.

This entire article is nothing more than yet another whiny, pathetic attack on Trump and I for one am sorry that I wasted my time looking at it.
      Last edited by Tsar; 19 May 20, 18:09.

• Phaing
      Phaing commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
      So the Trump-Russia conspiracy craziness wasn't enough to get you to stop trusting MSN, hmmmm
      Ignoring one gross lie so that they can move on to the next is the hallmark of the media opinion peddlers.

Now, can you inagine what they would be saying if Trump just ordered all the Democrat Governors to get out of the way, and just let everyone get back to their lives?

"Trump is a tyrant!"
      "Trump is drunk with power"
      "IMPEACH IMPEACH IMPEACH"

And all of the sources above would instantly deny having said all of the things said above.

• wolfhnd
      wolfhnd commented
      Editing a comment
      Bill Maher in explaining what the tea party was really about said it “was about a black president.” He was exactly right but in the opposite sense that he meant. It was about a little known junior senator, who having been deserted by both parents had a dream that it was not because of their character but a mysterious Marxist idea of cultural colonialism that was to blame. He was essentially raised first by American hating Muslims and then by Marxist professors. You have to ask how someone could become president with no real understanding of what life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness meant or what was unique about the U.S. experiment. Had Obama not been black he would never have been president and the forgotten victims of globalism would not have been so enraged. Barrack Obama was just a symbol for many deplorables of the elitism that had divided the country. Even if Maher was right and racism played a part it was an insignificant part.

The left never questioned how someone with no real life experience of note and little political experience could be elected president, for them Obama was just a happy accident, the right person at the right time. Ignoring that he was exactly the wrong person for people that believed in the American experiment.

We have been reduced to a nation that believes in emotional intelligence, that if it feels good it must be right. If we elected someone with the right magical skin color then decades of failure to raise a good portion of the black population out of poverty, crime and failed families would be cured and we wouldn't have to question why over half a century of liberal policies had been such a failure. It was hope and change without reason.

Obamagate shatters the delusion and we will be told over and over again that it is about racism. That Trump is an evil force of destruction. When in reality the only thing Trump has destroyed is their delusions.

As with Watergate the story is as much about incompetence and blundering bureaucrats and political appointees as the petty crimes and conspiracy. The establishment was so convinced Hillary would win that they never believed any of it would see the light of day and they were safe if they violated a few civil liberties. Liberties they hardly believed in anyway. The Chinese fire drill that was the Russia investigation was not particularly unusual nor was failure to prosecute the powerful in the establishment. A wink and a nod to Hillary's crimes was as normal as violating the civil liberties of those that had little political power. What happened to Flynn was standard operation procedure at Mueller's FBI, his record of prosecutorial misconduct and the record of the intelligence communities abuses goes back many decades.

Had the media not been complicit in covering up for Obama's blunders he could have been an average liberal president. But the intoxicating allure of a black president that was steeped in the "high intellectual precepts" of Marxism was too much for the weak integrity of the media to overcome. In effect they set the stage for Obamagate because he had become use to his mistakes being covered up. Had he been held to account over previous abuses as other presidents had been he would have been more cautious and not let a sociopathic and politically incompetent woman ruin his legacy.

Now there is no way out for liberals. To accept that Obama was incompetent and abusive would call in to question everything they believe in. Taking away the magic of the first black president would be too painful for them to endure. It's a kind of insidious subconscious racism that for decades held that minorities were not capable of being held responsible for their own failings. A belief system that turned out to be self fulfilling. The liberal agenda was a soul crushing denial of freewill for the oppressed. They will never take responsibility for their unintended consequences. Nor will they every be able to face the fact that the villain they have created as an avatar of Trump is just a reflection of their own empty souls. That is why we will never see an end to articles such as in the OP.

GOP is getting worried?
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elect...cid=spartandhp

Donald Trump has made clear he will attack Joe Biden unmercifully in order to ensure the election is a choice between him and Joe Biden — rather than an up-or-down vote on the president’s handling of the coronavirus.

...“I think it still boils down to a referendum on the president. They’ll beat up on Biden and they’ll raise some concerns,” said the former two-term Republican governor of Wisconsin, who lost his seat in 2018. But in the end, if people felt good about their health and the state of the economy, Trump will probably carry Wisconsin. If not, Walker said, “it’s much more difficult” for the president.

Comment

• TacCovert4
      TacCovert4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well.....

It's not an up or down vote on the Corona Virus.

It's an up or down vote on 4 years....versus what you think Biden might do better or worse.

If we were up or down voting on the Corona Virus, I think Florida's Governor would win by write-in......

• Nichols
      Nichols commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Massena View Post
      Donald Trump has made clear he will attack Joe Biden unmercifully
      Sounds like what the left and the MSM has been doing to Trump since he decided to run for office.

It is interesting to see the MSM flip the script to cover what they have been doing.

Barr disagrees with Trump over Trump's 'idea' that the Russia probe was an Obama 'plot.' I wonder if Trump will fire him too?

Attorney General William P. Barr dismissed President Trump’s
    attempts to rebrand the Russia investigation
    as a criminal plot engineered by former President Barack Obama, saying on Monday that he expected no charges against either Mr. Obama or former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. as a result of an investigation into how their administration handled Russian election interference.

Comment

• Jose50
      Jose50 commented
      Editing a comment
      There are people out there who still insist that there is an Easter Bunny too.

• Cambronnne
      Cambronnne commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
      Empirical evidence couldn`t be found only because key financial records were not provided as well as key people were blocked from testifying.

Normally that is considered obstruction of justice but that I guess that doesnt apply to Trump since he must be above the law.
      What?

I seriously think you are grasping at straws.
      Do you know who clapper was?
      Or Powers or Rice?
      They said they had evidence of trump's collusion, but once put under oath they all admitted they had never seen of any.
      In other words, they lied.

I see you are changing the subject of obstruction of justice from the fraud that was the Russia hoax.

You clearly don't understand how this works.
      High government officials claimed they SAW evidence of trump's collusion. They don't get to wiggle out of that by pretending that trump is preventing them from seeing the evidence they already told us they SAW.

If the government didn't have the evidence of collusion because trump withheld things, then you seem to be agreeing that the entire investigation was a fraud because they didn't have any evidence to justify the start of the investigation.

• CarpeDiem
      CarpeDiem commented
      Editing a comment
      Stop addressing the poster and not the post.
      Thank you
      ACG Staff

A Florida man and his wife became ill with COVID-19 after he denied how serious it is:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/he...cid=spartandhp

In a lengthy post on May 12, Hitchens said that he was once among those who thought the coronavirus "is a fake crisis" that was "blown out of proportion" and "wasn't that serious."

That changed when he started to feel sick in April and stopped working, he wrote.

Comment

• Massena
      Massena commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Nichols View Post
      I don't think anyone here has really downplayed that people with existing health conditions are susceptible to the virus.
      Yes, they have. They have supported Trump's erroneous and incorrect 'views' on the pandemic and now Trump himself, again, is being stupid taking an unproven medication that can cause heart problems. And he is really being stupid as he has a pre-existing condition-obesity.

• Nichols
      Nichols commented
      Editing a comment

Yes, they have.
      "Yes, they have" what?

Downplayed that people with existing health conditions are susceptible to COVID-19?

• Hida Akechi
      Hida Akechi commented
      Editing a comment
      "Yes, they have."

No, they haven't.

Trump has now definitively proven that he is dumber than a bagfull of hammers:

'Crazy thing to do': Health experts alarmed by Trump's use of unproven drug
    President Donald Trump’s startling admission Monday that he is taking hydroxychloroquine despite testing negative for the coronavirus alarmed health experts, who cautioned that people who follow his lead risk serious heart problems and other complications from the decades-old drug.

Comment

• Nichols
      Nichols commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

Thank you and I hope you don't mind my prying.

You are the first and only person I've ever heard they are thinking of moving there and I was curious.
      No problem.

All 3 kids speak, read, and write Czech. It is a beautiful country outside of the tourist attractions.

• Cambronnne
      Cambronnne commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Nichols View Post

No problem.

All 3 kids speak, read, and write Czech. It is a beautiful country outside of the tourist attractions.
      I didn't see a lot of it, but the most surprising sight I saw was in Brno.
      I got to my hotel late so wasn't able to see what was in the area. Anyway, it was quite a shock when I opened my curtains the next morning and saw the enormous cooling towers of the nuclear power plant so close to the center of town.

Still, I loved the place

• Bow
      Bow commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

His comment made me look up comparisons of US to European living standards.
      According PEW, Europe has a lower standard of living than the US middle class.
      All I have to say is that growing up in the UK after the war (WW2) I never saw food stamps after 1946 or 1948 and as for food line ups I never saw anything like the thousands you have lined up at differant places in the US for free food while farmers pour milkdown the drain...great way to show your so called "High Standards"..... I do remember getting a couple of candy bars with "USA"..

North of YYZ

What is that supposed to mean? Is it a version of the term 'alternate facts'? And that is a lie...

President Donald Trump's re-election campaign announced Monday a new "investigative" website that prioritizes "truth over facts." The site, in fact, is called TheTruthOverFacts.com. The goal of the site, according to a release, is to uncover "the truth behind Joe Biden's never-ending, seemingly incomprehensible statements during his third, plodding campaign for president." The release says the site will utilize "experts," but puts the word in quotation marks.

One of these days, these guys will figure out how quotation marks work and it will be a glorious day for us all.

Regardless, observers immediately speculated as to why in the world the president's campaign team would prioritize "truth over facts" -- as if there were something suspect about facts. More than a few saw Orwellian undertones.

The origin of the name, it turns out, was quite a bit dumber.

Evidently, Joe Biden appeared at the Iowa State Fair last August. As part of an extended riff on how Democrats are different from Republicans, the former president meant to say, "We choose truth over lies." Instead, Biden accidentally said, "We choose truth over facts."

Comment

• TacCovert4
      TacCovert4 commented
      Editing a comment
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFVyUZKO_rY

In case someone wants to see what Truth over Facts actually is......watch the Tulsi Gabbard supporter...don't take my word for it.

It's a Troll. From the Grand Master of Internet Trolls.

And as usual the MSM fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

These guys are the 'elites' in the same way that Venezuela made that video of their 'special forces' to intimidate the USMC....by training without ammunition.....

After watching this Nurse Practitioner one could become concerned..This video is only three weeks old but other medical folks have made similar concerns. What are folks thoughts on the Federal Gov mandating Covid testing and resources for Hospitals and Nursing Homes? Its a tough subject to approach, I have differing thoughts on this issue.

A frontline nurse working in New York on coronavirus patients claims the city is killing sufferers by putting them on ventilators, advocating against them The nurse persuaded a friend, nurse practitioner Sara NP who is not working on coronavirus patients, to make the video to get the word out Ventilator tubes are attached to a patient suffering from COVID-19 on the Medical Intensive Care Unit floor in New York City

More than 12,000 people have died from the virus in New York City, with another 4,300 dying in other parts of the Empire State, which is a far larger number than any other state in the country 'People are sick, but they don't have to stay sick. They are killing them, they are not helping them,' added the friend in the video posted on YouTube. 'She used the word murder, that coming from a nurse who went to New York City expecting to help. 'Patients are left to rot and die — her words. People are being murdered and no one cares.'

Also should there be a oversight committee established to ensure hospital and nursing staff are following proper safety procedures at hospitals and Nursing homes...as to protect the sick and elderly from Covid 19?

Should the Federal Gov mandate Covid 19 testing on workers/patients in hospitals and nursing homes?
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

• Mountain Man
      Mountain Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 82redleg View Post

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sure, and by re-electing the trash, the NY electorate has validated his behavior. They get what they chose.
      Circular argument. If all you are offered re crap choices, then you elect crap. Remember all of Obama;s election promises?

These days, the public has no real choice at all. It's all rotten and corrupt, or hopelessly corrupt and compromised. We are waaay past the point where we can blame the long-suffering public for the failure of our government, a government which works tirelessly to enrich itself, entrench itself and perpetuate itself. Meanwhile, the average, beaten down and over-taxed citizen, has only one real goal left in life - to get through it as best he can.

Frankly, in some ways I am sorry the pandemic wasn't far more lethal. We might have been able to finally clean house. Washington, DC, especially, would benefit greatly from a Biblical plague.

Meanwhile, we already have numerous regulatory agencies at state and Federal levels overlooking the operations of long=term care centers. Adding more and more layers of corrupt bureaucracy will solve nothing. Arresting and imprisoning those who abuse LTC residents, however, will go a very long way towards bringing about change.

• 82redleg
      82redleg commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Circular argument. If all you are offered re crap choices, then you elect crap. Remember all of Obama;s election promises?

These days, the public has no real choice at all. It's all rotten and corrupt, or hopelessly corrupt and compromised....
      It may not be the result of a single election, but the government we have is the result of the choices that the electorate has made. That's why NY, VA, etc, are shitty places- because a shitty electorate tolerates shitty leaders. If you don't believe that, you don't believe in our system, and I have to believe in our system. If the people de,Andes a change, things would change. They don't, so....

• Stonewall_Jack
      Stonewall_Jack commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 82redleg View Post

It may not be the result of a single election, but the government we have is the result of the choices that the electorate has made. That's why NY, VA, etc, are shitty places- because a shitty electorate tolerates shitty leaders. If you don't believe that, you don't believe in our system, and I have to believe in our system. If the people de,Andes a change, things would change. They don't, so....
      Nursing homes need oversight everywhere. These are our grandparents, many are veterans and now to boot they cant have visitors.

Unless one has family in a nursing home, they dont know what its like for ones family member to lye in their feces for hours on end...to be choking on food with no one to help, etc

Has the White House effectively muzzled the CDC?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/20/polit...nvs/index.html

In the early weeks of the US coronavirus outbreak, staff members in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had tracked a growing number of transmissions in Europe and elsewhere, and proposed a global advisory that would alert flyers to the dangers of air travel.

But about a week passed before the alert was issued publicly -- crucial time lost when about 66,000 European travelers were streaming into American airports every day.

The delay, detailed in documents obtained by CNN, is the latest example to emerge of a growing sense of disconnect between the CDC and the White House.

In interviews with CNN, CDC officials say their agency's efforts to mount a coordinated response to the Covid-19 pandemic have been hamstrung by a White House whose decisions are driven by politics rather than science.

Comment

• Massena
      Massena commented
      Editing a comment
      And then we have this nonsense...The families and friends of those who have died or are sick with COVID-19 should be so proud......Badge of honor my ass.
      Trump calls high US Covid-19 numbers "badge of honor" because it means more testing

President Trump said today that he is considering a travel ban on Latin America and called the high number of US Covid-19 cases a “badge of honor” because it means the US is testing more people.

“We are considering it,” the President said when asked if he was considering a travel ban on Latin America, and Brazil in particular, which now has the third highest number of diagnosed coronavirus cases in the world.

“We hope that we’re not going to have a problem. The governor of Florida is doing very, very well testing – in particular Florida, because a big majority come in to Florida. Brazil has gone more or less herd, and they’re having problems," Trump added.

“I worry about everything, I don’t want people coming in here and infecting our people,” Trump said, “I don’t want people over there sick either.”

“By the way,” the President interjected, “when you say that we lead in cases, that’s because we have more testing than anybody else.”
      “Actually the number of cases, and we’re also a much bigger country than most, so when we have a lot of cases, I don’t look at that as a bad thing, I look at that as, in a certain respect, as a good thing, because it means our testing is better,” he said.

“I view it as a badge of honor. Really, it’s a badge of honor,” Trump said. “It’s a great tribute to the testing and all of the work that a lot of professionals have done.”

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/us-...7bba956fe22235

• Massena
      Massena commented
      Editing a comment
      You can run, but you cannot hide...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cd...cid=spartandhp

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has posted 60 pages of detailed guidelines on how to reopen the United States from coronavirus pandemic stay-at-home orders on the agency's website.

The guidance was a slightly shorter version of a 68-page document shelved by the White House last week after concerns it was too specific.

Still, the latest CDC document was very descriptive, providing a detailed road map for schools, restaurants, transit and child care facilities on the categories to consider before reopening.

• Nichols
      Nichols commented
      Editing a comment
      So it isn't "the CDC claims".....

CNN at it again....some un named 'official claims'...

The reality is the left tried blocking Trump...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Nichols; 20 May 20, 07:40.

The GOP grip on what was considered safe states electorally may be slipping:

https://news.yahoo.com/new-polls-sho...l&uh_test=1_02

Just-released polls contain bad news for President Trump and his Senate allies, with Joe Biden expanding the electoral map to states that have long been safe bastions for the Republican Party.

Biden is solidifying his lead over Trump in Arizona, a state not won by a Democrat in a presidential race since Bill Clinton took it in 1996, according to a new survey by OH Predictive Insights. Biden leads Trump by 7 percentage points in Arizona. The poll has a margin of error of 4 percentage points.

The same survey also had bad news for Senate Republican incumbent Martha McSally, who appears to be losing ground in her reelection bid against Democrat Mark Kelly. A former astronaut and the husband of former Rep. Gabby Giffords, Kelly now leads McSally by 13 points. A month earlier, the same poll showed Kelly ahead by 9 points.

Comment

• Cambronnne
      Cambronnne commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Rojik View Post

Mental state, I don’t know. He does come across as a bit odd, but that is no big deal... most people that chase power strike me as odd. It’s more that he doesn’t have anything that looks like a plan. ‘I’m not him’ doesn’t cut it.
      Trump, for all his faults (and there are many) does things. Biden seems to do not much at all, and was a mover and shaker (and I use the term loosely) in what I see as an administration that didn’t do much but kick cans down the road.

Very uninspiring, but I’m not sure that the Democrats can do inspiring without dodgy. I also think the real talent is keeping their powder dry for 2024.
      Thank you.
      I recognize all politicians say dumb things from time to time so perhaps I may be placing greater weight on some of his statements than I should. (I still think it is funny when he said "You know, the THING!" when trying to remember the declaration of independence)

Biden strikes me as an odd choice for the dems, but perhaps no more than Trump was for the GOP.
      It seems to be that Biden has precisely the kind of baggage that dems would tend to reject. So his getting the nomination is somewhat surprising.

• Rojik
      Rojik commented
      Editing a comment
      I never heard the ‘thing’, but that is great. The man is a walking Simpson episode. But as I posted earlier if you get 24/7 in your face most of you will say something retarded. I know that I’d be fine for 23:55 but that last 5 minutes...

Biden strikes me as the Democrats playing it safe. No Sanders types. Just a Mr Roger, friendly (but a little grabby) uncle. Boring and a lost chance. All of us know that unseating a sitting president is the exception rather than the rule, but this was the best chance they had. For no or little fault of his own the economy has tanked, people are dying, things are a mess. And Biden is... say something, even if you are wrong. Make a bloody stand ffs. Nobody ever won office sitting in a corner.

Outsider looking in but I think the Hillary disaster hurt the dems in ways that will take a decade to heal. Born to rule mentality. And I really think they haven’t understood why they lost. It was 2000 again but with a much bigger and more resounding slap.

Usually when that happens political parties look inward; they remove those that failed them. The Democrats didn’t do that. What they seem to be doing is blaming peoplep I’m for not seeing their vision. That never works. At the end of
      the day Joe the plumber has as much say in the system as anyone else. They are forgetting that at their peril, and it’s why 2016 came as a shock to them but not to anyone else following the game.

• Freebird
      Freebird commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
      There were polls showing Mondole leading Reagan back in the summer of '84. But come election time Mondole was swamped. He won only his home state and DC and was defeated in the electoral college by 525-13. Reagan won the popular vote by a 60-40 margin.

By November, Demos will be scrambling to hold on to blue states.
      Remember how (future) President Dukakis built up a 17 point lead over Bush by the summer of 88?

https://www.boston.com/news/politics...election-polls

What is the responsibility of the federal government to help citizens and businesses in need because of the coronavirus?

President Trump on Tuesday privately expressed opposition to extending a weekly $600 boost in unemployment insurance for laid-off workers affected by the coronavirus pandemic, according to three officials familiar with his remarks during a closed-door lunch with Republican senators on Capitol Hill.

Comment

• Cambronnne
      Cambronnne commented
      Editing a comment

No, the Constitution was designed and written to give the nation a strong central government with checks and balances. The Bill of Rights was added to codify the rights of individuals.
      Checks and balances are limitations.
      As is the Bill of rights.
      The Bill of rights is part of the constitution so you can't exclude it because it is inconvenient.

And the Bill of rights did not "codify". It recognized the rights inherent in the individual.
      In other words, the rights exist regardless of the existence of the government.
      "Codify" implies the rights are given.

Giving the nation a strong central government doesn't mean the constitution was designed to establish the limits of governmental power.

• Cambronnne
      Cambronnne commented
      Editing a comment
      Obama's position:
      Obama in his interview disparages the Constitution as merely "a charter of negative liberties. It says what the states can't do to you. Says what the federal government can't do to you but doesn't say what the federal government or state government must do on your behalf." He believes—and he's right—that changing this is the way to bring about "redistributive change."
      https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...e-constitution

Even Obama agrees the Constitution limits government and doesn't establish any obligation to give away stuff

• Nichols
      Nichols commented
      Editing a comment

It does and you are wrong. Again.
      I recommend some study time.

The preamble is not the law set forth in the Constitution. I supplied a link already that clearly shows that.

I'm not wrong on this, I recommend you do some reading.

A federal judge is allowing the fraud lawsuit against Trump and his family to proceed.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/19/polit...any/index.html

A federal judge on Monday allowed a federal lawsuit accusing President Donald Trump, his three eldest children and his company of collaborating with a fraudulent marketing scheme to prey on investors to proceed.

The lawsuit, originally filed in October 2018 and amended a few months later, alleges that in exchange for "secret" payments, Trump and three of his adult children used his former reality TV show "The Celebrity Apprentice" and other promotional events as vehicles to boost ACN Opportunity, a telecommunications marketing company linked to a nonprofit that used Trump's brand to appeal to teens.

The lawsuit also accuses the Trumps of having profited off the poor and vulnerable, as people looking "to enrich themselves by systematically defrauding economically marginalized people looking to invest in their educations, start their own small business, and pursue the American dream."

Comment

...or someone broke a stupid stick over her head...She wonders why the press doesn't take Trump at his word-simple answer because he is a serial liar.

Donald Trump surprised many this week when he claimed that he was ignoring the serious health risks and taking hydroxychloroquine. "I happen to be taking it," the president

said on Monday. "I happen to be taking it.... I'm taking it -- hydroxychloroquine -- right now.

This raised a variety of questions, not the least of which is whether to believe Trump's claim. Those concerns grew louder when a White House physician issued a written statement several hours later, which did not explicitly say why, of even if, the president is on the potentially dangerous drug.

A reporter asked White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany about the "carefully written" letter from Trump's doctor and why the public should believe that he's actually taking hydroxychloroquine. McEnany suggested the entire line of inquiry was inappropriate.
      "The reason is the president of the United States said it, and if it were any other president of the United States, the media would take him at his word."

Well, yes. That's exactly right. If any other American president, regardless of party, had told the public about a medication he was taking, it's likely that the political world -- journalists, voters, public officials, et al. -- would simply assume that the president was telling the truth.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X