X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Drones

This has been going on in our area for a couple of weeks or more:

DENVER

Authorities have confirmed reports of drone sightings in three more counties in northeast Colorado and at least one Nebraska county after nighttime drone flights in the region caused a national stir earlier this week.

Clusters of drones flying at night have remained a mystery to local law enforcement officials and residents seeking to learn the identities of the operators and the purpose of the flights, The Denver Post reported Friday.

Sheriff's offices in Lincoln, Washington and Sedgwick counties have been getting calls this week about the unknown winged devices after initial reports came out of Phillips and Yuma counties, sheriffs said.
    ]
    DENVER

Authorities have confirmed reports of drone sightings in three more counties in northeast Colorado and at least one Nebraska county after nighttime drone flights in the region caused a national stir earlier this week.

Clusters of drones flying at night have remained a mystery to local law enforcement officials and residents seeking to learn the identities of the operators and the purpose of the flights, The Denver Post reported Friday.

Sheriff's offices in Lincoln, Washington and Sedgwick counties have been getting calls this week about the unknown winged devices after initial reports came out of Phillips and Yuma counties, sheriffs said.

he drones reportedly have 6-foot (1.8-meter) wingspans and fly in grid-like patterns hundreds of feet in the air in groups of six to 10, authorities said.

No laws are being broken and shooting them out of the sky could break federal law, sheriffs said.

The Federal Aviation Administration, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the U.S. Air Force, and the U.S. Army Forces Command said they do not have information about the aircrafts.
    https://www-1.kansas.com/news/politi...38788818.html#

Kind of strange that no one claims them or any knowledge, but shooting one down "would be a crime". Out here, that would be the quickest solution - shoot one down and then see who shows up to complain about it. At least one sheriff is concern that the drones are threatening country airport traffic patterns. If a crash results, who is responsible?

And why shouldn't we be concerned about unknown drowns travelling in packs at night, when no official agency claims knowledge or responsibility?

I'm wondering if this is a test for increased border control using thermal vision drones to track groups of illegals and guide ground forces to interceptions. Or drug interdiction.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

This sounds like the beginning of a 1970's sci-fi movie.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
      This sounds like the beginning of a 1970's sci-fi movie.
      It does, doesn't it?
      Last edited by Mountain Man; 30 Dec 19, 14:30.

Comment

Of you find out what the reports are about let us know.
        We hunt the hunters

Comment

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/01/us/co...rnd/index.html

Mysterious drones have been flying over Colorado and Nebraska in recent weeks and authorities can't figure out who's behind the aircraft.

Deputies have spotted more than 16 unmanned drones flying in northeast Colorado after authorities received multiple reports of drone sightings last month, the sheriff's offices in Colorado's Yuma and Phillips counties said.

FAA spokesman Ian Gregor told CNN that multiple FAA divisions and government agencies are investigating reports of drones in Colorado and Nebraska.

Yuma County Sheriff Todd Combs said in a Facebook post Tuesday it appears the drones were staying at least 150-200 feet away from buildings and people and are flying in airspace controlled by the federal government.
          The aircraft, Combs said, are operating within federal guidelines but are making residents "very nervous and anxious."
          "People do not like the unknown as it upsets the balance of our lives," Combs wrote.
          Yuma and Phillips county officials have said they don't believe the drones are malicious in nature.
          "There are many theories about what is going on, but at this point, that's all they are. I think we are all feeling a little bit vulnerable due to the intrusion of our privacy that we enjoy in our rural community, but I don't have a solution or know of one right now. All I can say is don't live your life in the fear of the unknown," the sheriff wrote.
          Several agencies are expected to be attending a meeting about the drones incident on Monday, Combs said.
          Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado said he is closely monitoring the situation.
          "I've been in contact with the FAA regarding the heavy drone activity in Eastern Colorado and I'm encouraged that they've opened a full investigation to learn the source and purpose of the drones," he tweeted Tuesday.The incidents come as the FAA proposed new rules that will require most drones to use remote ID technology that will allow the FAA, law enforcement and federal security agencies to identify drones flying in their jurisdiction.
          Nearly 1.5 million drones and 160,000 remote pilots are registered with the FAA, the agency said.

Comment

Comment

I would treat this as a national threat, remember the Iranian drone strike against SA?
              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                I would treat this as a national threat, remember the Iranian drone strike against SA?
                I've posted my solution: shoot one down and then wait for whoever shows up to complain about it.

Clearly something odd is going on, especially when no US agency claims ownership. Originally I suspected ICE or DEA practicing night inderdiction, but now?

Comment

One thing that I've noted is that these drone maneuvers are NOT happening in northern Idaho airspace...
                  ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                  IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                    One thing that I've noted is that these drone maneuvers are NOT happening in northern Idaho airspace...
                    What do you think is the significance of that?

Hasn't happened here yet, either, right next to SuperMax, Fort Carson and few other places of interest, including Space Command.

I wonder if anyone has considered jamming the control frequency. Technically, that's not "shooting down" anything, but it might reveal who is behind it.

Comment

One of my co-workers is a big drone flyer, I asked him about it. He laughed and said, what better place can you go drone flying? These are your future hot shot drone fighter pilots Mountain Man.

There are some pretty extreme drone racing competitions developing, flying drones with VR glasses

You should buy yourself a rig (drone+VR glasses) and get out there and investigate. I am jealous you live in such nice open countryside.

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
                        One of my co-workers is a big drone flyer, I asked him about it. He laughed and said, what better place can you go drone flying? These are your future hot shot drone fighter pilots Mountain Man.

There are some pretty extreme drone racing competitions developing, flying drones with VR glasses

You should buy yourself a rig (drone+VR glasses) and get out there and investigate. I am jealous you live in such nice open countryside.
                        I don't. I live in mountainous terrain. Minimum altitude for an aircraft out here is 500 ft. Bad for drone flying, and out here, overflying someone's property is a violation of personal privacy and will result in unpleasant consequences. Like I said previously, this is next door to the Canon State Prison Complex - seven prisons in all - and the Federal SuperMax with the airport that serves all of it.

We're not as user friendly as they must be back where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

What do you think is the significance of that?

Could be it would trigger a new sort of skeet shooting...
                          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post

Could be it would trigger a new sort of skeet shooting...

From last nights national news: "Federal authorities are making inquiries".

Here's a question: If the object is not to be seen, why fly with navigation lights? Clearly, maintaining formation is part of the plan.

Inquiring minds are saying "Huh?".

Comment

Paranoid minds are saying 'huh?'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X