Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Idea of Civility in America

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

The latest annual survey done by Weber Shandwick finds that nearly 70 percent of Americans feel we have a serious problem with civility. – The Hill

It’s no surprise that there is a widening partisan gulf in this country. But over the decades, it has grown far more dramatically than the divisions by race, income, and age, according to a study by the Pew Research Center. – Tribune

But while calls for civility continue to ring out, the always-elusive definition has morphed over the decade. After the 2016 election, civility stopped being a call to reach across the aisle; it became instead a call for the other side to shut up and listen to us. – Slate

So much BS, this whole country is uncivil, most people I know are aholes, so why does the prez have to act like some mythical figure you've made up? I am sure Gen. Washington could give you some salty talk and could be quite the prick at times.

Just because someone needs to get their paycheck this week they write some silly headline, Tie your own shoelaces for once.

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
      So much BS, this whole country is uncivil, most people I know are aholes, so why does the prez have to act like some mythical figure you've made up? I am sure Gen. Washington could give you some salty talk and could be quite the prick at times.

Just because someone needs to get their paycheck this week they write some silly headline, Tie your own shoelaces for once.
      You only have to be hard when it is needed. And any study of Washington will bear that out. He was the model for Article II of the Constitution and if you haven't, you might want to read his own rules of civility.

There is nothing wrong or weak in being a gentleman, which Washington certainly was and Trump is not. Trump's problem in that regard is that you first have to be a man to be a gentleman, and Trump loses on both counts.

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
        So much BS,

I agree completely, we have been divided and un-civil for a long, long time, but some authors of Opinion Pieces lead you to believe it's all because of the 2016 election of Trump, my guess is that most of them weren't around in the late 60s, early 70s.
        Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
          I agree completely, we have been divided and un-civil for a long, long time, but some authors of Opinion Pieces lead you to believe it's all because of the 2016 election of Trump, my guess is that most of them weren't around in the late 60s, early 70s.
          That ignores the history of politics from Rome to the present day. Politics is a nasty blood sport and will remain so til the sun goes nova.
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

I remember a time when politicians running for president could joke and laugh during debates and get along with others in the opposite party to get things done.

It has become more 'toxic' since the early 80s, but Trump has made it worse with his name-calling, continual insults, personal attacks, and general dishonesty.

And you are OK with this?

Comment

Back when I was dealing cards, I had some players with Yankee accents tell me they could not believe how polite people he had met were. I just smiled sweetly and said "That is because we are all armed!"

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                It has become more 'toxic' since the early 80s, but Trump has made it worse with his name-calling, continual insults, personal attacks, and general dishonesty.

And you are OK with this?
                One some word comes to mind: deplorables.

Clinton classified a while segment of society. Even today people classify anyone that questions false statements from the MSM as 'Trumpers' or multiple other names. It wasn't Trump that made it worse. It is the peoe that can't accept that he won the election.

"I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

A series of posts consists of posters taking digs at other posters was removed.
                  Posts of this type will be removed going forwards.
                  Thank you
                  ACG Staff

Comment

You only have to be hard when it is needed. And any study of Washington will bear that out. He was the model for Article II of the Constitution and if you haven't, you might want to read his own rules of civility.

There is nothing wrong or weak in being a gentleman, which Washington certainly was and Trump is not. Trump's problem in that regard is that you first have to be a man to be a gentleman, and Trump loses on both counts.
                    https://politicalscience.yale.edu/ne...es-30-under-30

Maybe Judy Slama, Nebraskan Republican Senator, said it best. She called Donald Trump ' having personal personally reprehensible, and her acquaintances found some of his utterances' repulsive'
                    , but she has her support because after decades of platitudes:

"Very few Trump voters from my hometown were gung-ho supporters; in fact, many of my friends found several of his comments to be repulsive. The ones that ended up voting for him did so in spite of his personal shortcomings and knew that his campaign was the first in recent memory that focused around their economic interests, rather than just pandering to them with social conservatism. Donald Trump was this election cycle’s symbol of change, which attracted rural voters....."

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2016/...-urban-bubble/

Slama's one smart dude..
                    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Why be civil with people who hate you. The root problem needs to be addressed first, before we can talk about civility.
                      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                        Why be civil with people who hate you. The root problem needs to be addressed first, before we can talk about civility.
                        What if the 'root problem' is lack of civility?

Comment

What if the 'root problem' is lack of civility?
                          How could it be? There has to be a reason people are being uncivil, which would be your root.
                          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                          - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

The latest annual survey done by Weber Shandwick finds that nearly 70 percent of Americans feel we have a serious problem with civility. – The Hill

It’s no surprise that there is a widening partisan gulf in this country. But over the decades, it has grown far more dramatically than the divisions by race, income, and age, according to a study by the Pew Research Center. – Tribune

But while calls for civility continue to ring out, the always-elusive definition has morphed over the decade. After the 2016 election, civility stopped being a call to reach across the aisle; it became instead a call for the other side to shut up and listen to us. – Slate
                            It is pretty clear that today the standards of civility have gone even lower when people are willing to support (or remain silent in front of ) even the most unethical behavior of the CIC. Just look how twice in this forum a thread about Greta deteriorated to a series of insulting (or supporting the insult) of the condition of a child with a disability. The justification was that as long as you are a political opponent, you should endure any form of personal insult and there is nothing ethically wrong with such behavior. By those standards, if people tomorrow elect a president (republican or democrat) with a disability like Roosevelt, it should be a acceptable to mock his disability since he will be a political opponent. At least this is what the deplorables believe.
                            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                              If you counter 'hate' with civility, who loses in the end? Hint: it isn't the people being civil.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X