Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Landowners Against 'The Wall'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...cid=spartandhp

Nearly three years into the Trump administration, almost no border wall has been built in Texas. Local property owners ranging from ranchers to a Catholic diocese and institutions have resisted federal efforts to claim their land.

The resistance in South Texas, where most land is privately owned, illustrates the challenges in building a border wall, even if funding is available.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has been sending letters and holding meetings for two months asking about 120 landowners with riverfront property around Laredo, to survey their land, the first step in building a wall on it. Some around the South Texas city, where many can see the Rio Grande and Mexico from their porches, said yes right away. But others are resisting, setting up a potential conflict with the government that could drag on for years.

About 200 miles southeast, in the Rio Grande Valley, refusals have led the government to sue 46 landowners for the right to survey their property in preparation for acquiring part of it, including farmers, ranchers, businesses, and several facilities owned by a Catholic diocese.

Some cite ideological reasons for resisting a wall on their land. Others say it will split their properties in two and interfere with their businesses or way of life. Ease of accessing property on the other side of a wall would depend on where the government builds access gates.

Building a permanent barrier along the nearly 2,000 miles of the southern border was a signature promise of President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign. He and his supporters believe a wall would help to reduce illegal immigration.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

So? Many landowners are upset when the government takes eminent domain over their property in whole or part.

Comment

And if it was your property how would you react? It is OK with you because Trump is doing it, correct?
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
        And if it was your property how would you react? It is OK with you because Trump is doing it, correct?
        I might be angry but eminent domain is long standing law. Using this law for a public purpose or good is perfectly valid. Building a wall on the border, whether you agree with that or not, is a valid use of eminent domain. So long as the government acts in good faith in such a case and offers fair compensation for the loss of use of property, and the public use is obvious, I'd grudgingly have to accept that's the way it is.

One thing's for certain, Democrat politicians regularly abuse eminent domain to enrich themselves and those who give large "donations" to their political campaigns.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/eminent...-being-abused/

http://castlecoalition.org/history-o...-and-its-abuse

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

I might be angry but eminent domain is long standing law. Using this law for a public purpose or good is perfectly valid. Building a wall on the border, whether you agree with that or not, is a valid use of eminent domain. So long as the government acts in good faith in such a case and offers fair compensation for the loss of use of property, and the public use is obvious, I'd grudgingly have to accept that's the way it is.

One thing's for certain, Democrat politicians regularly abuse eminent domain to enrich themselves and those who give large "donations" to their political campaigns.

In Texas, that there is just communism, TAG
          The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Comment

Comment

None, the barman throws them out with the words :

"What's this ? A bad joke....?"
                Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

BOOOOO.........................
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

I figure the bartender tells them even though the sign says "Ladies drink free" they ain't no ladies so they can get the hell out of the bar or put some cash on the counter...

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                      . Others say it will split their properties in two and interfere with their businesses or way of life. Ease of accessing property on the other side of a wall would depend on where the government builds access gates.
                      You'd think that would be an easy fix, the rancher should get access to a locked gate or two to access to property.

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird View Post
                        You'd think that would be an easy fix, the rancher should get access to a locked gate or two to access to property.
                        I theory- in practice, the river environment of the lower \Rio \grande is at approx 15 to 5% of its 19th century peak, and a lot of species are in their last refuges.
                        the Rio Grande used to be a steamboat river. \Texans have a strong sense of private land ownership- but also a good sense of responsibility for the wild critters.
                        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

That one man in another thread said a wall would be the best way to strangle the Cartels, and I'm all in favor of that.
                          I just don't see how the wall can be built, all 2,000 miles of it. And if you can't build all of it, why build any of it?

Why would ranchers have property cut in half? Is half their ranch in Mexico?

What would you even call it? Iron Curtain and Bamboo Curtain have already been taken.
                          (the concrete apron? )

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird View Post
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG4K...XHX6RGR_eE%3A6
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

I agree. This is much ado about nothing.
                              Eminent domain matters, always end up in court.
                              Rarely does the land owner accept the government’s initial offer.

The fact that private or corporate landowners hold out for more money is logical and expected.

The effort to make this a big deal is utter nonsense. If I get a traffic ticket the fact that I might resist it isn’t proof I oppose alll traffic laws. I’m just looking out of myself and trying to get a better deal.

I’m willing to bet that there isn’t a single landowner who supported the government taking his land by eminent domain, but I guess in this case we are supposed to think this completely typical behavior it is proof that trump is bad.
                              Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X