Military Housing Scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Housing Scandal

I'm surprised no one here has said a word about the ongoing military hosing scandal, similar to the scandal that closed Walter Reed Army medical Center. When the military sifted the responsibility for some 200,000 on-base military housing units to civilian contractors, it became a license to lie, cheat and steal. The evidence continues to mount of mold riddled, cockroach and even rat infested, deteriorating housing while contractors put in place policies that led to falsely claiming to provide timely response to complaints in order to qualify for millions and millions in bonus monies from the Armed Forces. One witness testified that she was told to alter the figures to show a 95% compliance rate. This scandal includes the quarters of senior military officers on such showcase bases as the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, which spends around $20 million on it's sports program annually, particularly on its football team.

I personally thing this heinous crime against our military personnel is far more important that the childish hatred spewed daily over such trivial things as Trump's latest imagined picadillo. Get on the internet and start following what is being done to those you expect to fight and die so that you can freely whine about trivial matters. or watch it nightly on the news. It's the least you can do.

The U.S. armed services should consult with the U.S. Department of Justice regarding the conduct of private companies hired to manage military housing, Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Connecticut, said Thursday.

During a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on military oversight of base housing, Blumenthal said the services should weigh their legal options for bringing charges -- criminal or civil -- against the private contractors for failing to meet contractual obligations to their tenants.

The contractors, he said, provided substandard, unhealthy and inadequate housing and ignored pleas to repair or service the homes.

In the past two years, multiple news reports have surfaced citing squalid conditions at military houses -- from faulty wiring and exposed plumbing to poor water quality, vermin infestations, mold and lead contamination.

Last year, Reuters published extensive reports on lead contamination in Army housing, and mold and substandard conditions in Air Force housing.

And in February, a survey of more than 14,500 residents of base housing found that 56 percent said they had "negative or very negative experiences" with their houses on military installations.

Blumenthal said one of his constituents, who lived at Naval Submarine Base New London, Connecticut, reported mold in their bathroom but were told they just needed to clean it up. Instead, the mold returned and a baby who lived in the home developed pneumonia and later had a stroke.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...g-scandal.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ng-fort-meade/

https://www.democraticunderground.com/117811886

https://www.foxnews.com/us/military-...-mold-and-more

Once a program goes civilian to save money a lot in quality is going down the drain and making someone big buck at the cos of the troops.

Do you still remember the PX snack bars and compare them with the BS now offered up. Someone or ones made a lot off of that.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I'm surprised no one here has said a word about the ongoing military hosing scandal, similar to the scandal that closed Walter Reed Army medical Center. When the military sifted the responsibility for some 200,000 on-base military housing units to civilian contractors, it became a license to lie, cheat and steal. The evidence continues to mount of mold riddled, cockroach and even rat infested, deteriorating housing while contractors put in place policies that led to falsely claiming to provide timely response to complaints in order to qualify for millions and millions in bonus monies from the Armed Forces. One witness testified that she was told to alter the figures to show a 95% compliance rate. This scandal includes the quarters of senior military officers on such showcase bases as the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, which spends around $20 million on it's sports program annually, particularly on its football team.

I personally thing this heinous crime against our military personnel is far more important that the childish hatred spewed daily over such trivial things as Trump's latest imagined picadillo. Get on the internet and start following what is being done to those you expect to fight and die so that you can freely whine about trivial matters. or watch it nightly on the news. It's the least you can do.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...g-scandal.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ng-fort-meade/

https://www.democraticunderground.com/117811886

https://www.foxnews.com/us/military-...-mold-and-more
      it was partially mentioned during the debate over Trump taking money for his wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I'm surprised no one here has said a word about the ongoing military hosing scandal, similar to the scandal that closed Walter Reed Army medical Center.
        The scandal at Walter Reed was horrible but it had nothing to do with its closing. BRAC scheduled it to close before the scandal came to light.

I'm not sure if it's closing saved money. They consolidated it with the Naval Hospital at Bethesda and renamed Bethesda to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. If you haven't been to Bethesda since 2009.....you'll find it hard to recognize. Same applies for Fort Belvior. They spent a lot of money on new construction at both places.

"I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

The scandal at Walter Reed was horrible but it had nothing to do with its closing. BRAC scheduled it to close before the scandal came to light.

I'm not sure if it's closing saved money. They consolidated it with the Naval Hospital at Bethesda and renamed Bethesda to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. If you haven't been to Bethesda since 2009.....you'll find it hard to recognize. Same applies for Fort Belvior. They spent a lot of money on new construction at both places.
          I haven't been to Bethesda since I graduated form their one-year Cardiopulmonary Tech course. I can;t imagine that the Navy is happy about the renaming, or having the grunts take over. It will always remain the National Naval medical Center to me. A memorable 54 weeks.

I strongly suspect that the decision to shut down Walter Wonderful was based a great deal on the costs of ripping it down anyway and rebuilding it. As always, cheaper to close it down the way they did to Fitzsimons, Valley Forge, the hospital at Ft. Ord and so many others that served long and faithfully. Of course when a pandemic comes along, all those beds, capacity and capability are gone forever, but hey...hopefully the Congress scum will be some of the first to die.

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post

it was partially mentioned during the debate over Trump taking money for his wall.
            Not here on this forum. See my original post.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              Once a program goes civilian to save money a lot in quality is going down the drain and making someone big buck at the cos of the troops.

Do you still remember the PX snack bars and compare them with the BS now offered up. Someone or ones made a lot off of that.
              I remember it well...all of it.

Comment

Not familiar with the case but from a quick browsing of the OP it seems that the government shifted responsibility of managing a program to the private sector and it did not work well. Is not there also an ongoing attempt to transfer parts of the VA to private healthcare providers? Just food for thought for those who see government regulations as a burden and government itself as being always part of a problem that will be solved by the private business.
                Last edited by pamak; 25 Nov 19, 17:02.
                My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

I wonder how having civilians working in dining facilities is working out. When I was a Private, I thought working in the mess hall was going to be my new MOS. Either that or wash rack duty.
                  Good news! I go to the VA Hospital in Long Beach, California and it has been a pleasant experience. Not enough parking, but I can live with that.
                  "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
                    Not familiar with the case but from a quick browsing of the OP it seems that the government shifted responsibility of managing a program to the private sector and it did not work well.
                    The government saves money by contracting it out. The key government person, the COR should be monitoring the contractors work.

"I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

The government saves money by contracting it out. The key government person, the COR should be monitoring the contractors work.
                      For the case we discuss, the first sentence is a claim without back up evidence. And the government monitoring the private sector is creating the expensive, as they say, "burden of regulations"
                      According to the republican ideology, the whole program needs to be discarded and the tenants need to go out in the private market to find and rent a house like everybody else. Such thing will motivate business to enter the housing business which will increase competition and bring the housing cost down for everybody while it will increase the housing quality.
                      Last edited by pamak; 25 Nov 19, 21:51.
                      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
                        Not familiar with the case but from a quick browsing of the OP it seems that the government shifted responsibility of managing a program to the private sector and it did not work well. Is not there also an ongoing attempt to transfer parts of the VA to private healthcare providers? Just food for thought for those who see government regulations as a burden and government itself as being always part of a problem that will be solved by the private business.
                        True, and it is happening all over the place!
                        School Districts are letting private contractors take over all the School busses, and it either costs more or saves them nothing.... except for responsibility for Lawsuits.
                        That is why they do it, to evade responsibility and the wrath of lawyers.

You are also right about the VA, a relative of mine went on "Veteran's Choice" and went right back to the VA again. He said he felt like he was being milked like a Cash Cow by the Hospitals. He got so tired of all the useless tests and feeling embarrassed that he went back to the VA.

Comment

One of my Grandfathers was stationed at Walter Reed back 1918. I had read somewhere that Trump had looted the military building budget. What guarantee do we have that the money will be replaced? Remember when Bush jr said the National Guards would leave all their gear in Iraq and they would get new gear? He lied. The Louisiana National Guard gave up their tanks, trucks and M2 and M3 Personnel Carriers. They also lost a Company of fighting troops because the 1st/108 Armor converted to Recon. Light Infantry Brigades have three LI Battalions. They eventually attached another Infantry Battalion from, I think Alabama. My guess is they will continue to discard buildings and declare it to be a budget savings.

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            Careful there, that sounds a lot like communiss to me.
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

A got on a red T shirt today. Does that count?
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X