Window of Tesla’s “bulletproof” truck shatters at unveiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
    They now know why it shattered, in the public reveal the sledge hammer hit the door, twice. This caused the window to slide down a bit, thus losing it's integrity. Musk revealed this in a tweet, showing the same thing but the glass not breaking. So its just a simply engineering fix to rectify, the glass is still very strong.
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post

They now know why it shattered, in the public reveal the sledge hammer hit the door, twice. This caused the window to slide down a bit, thus losing it's integrity. Musk revealed this in a tweet, showing the same thing but the glass not breaking. So its just a simply engineering fix to rectify, the glass is still very strong.
      So no attacker would swing twice with a sledgehammer is what Musk is counting on?
      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I guess it needs to be bulletproof because stainless steel vehicles tend to attract drug dealers...

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post

Well I have nothing against anyone. So I don’t want you to take this wrong but I will say that this was once again a massive Public display of incompetence by Tesla. There is this and other posters pointed out there are people who have ordered Tesla cars and who have been waiting upwards of 6 to 9 months just to receive their car. That’s not acceptable

I will say this though, I don’t like tesla. I don’t like the idea of electric cars taking over. I like the feel of a V6 engine gas powered. I like the sites of big pick up trucks in the United States of America.

I do know that a few hundred Americans work for Tesla in my area ... and I’m happy they have a job. I just hope that they don’t lose everything in a year or two when the real possibility of Tesla falling apart comes into fruition.

I don’t know how it is for people around the world but Tesla is a so-called American company led by Europeans. So here in Buffalo we have this Tesla plant where it claims it’s an American car company but all the CEOs are Europeans and constantly Europeans are being flown in to check on the plant. Which is no problem but the fact is tesla for example claimed it would bring many jobs to various areas. Well I live in New York state and our government gave Tesla $1 billion of taxpayer money to invest in a building that used to employ 15 to 20,000 Americans at I believe Bethlehem steel. The plant tesla has in buffalo today maybe employes 200 people with no union jobs, And a recent audit has shown the Tesla building to be worth nowhere near the $1 billion that the New York State government has given them a few years ago.

I also had a bad experience with some Tesla employers that came to Buffalo from Europe they were rude people. And just look at the facts look at how low the Tesla pay is compared to what Ford and General Motors employees used to make.

I can tell you that at the buffalo plant tesla employees start off at $17 an hour without a union. Compare that to the 1970s when you first started at Ford motor company you would get $32 an hour after 90 days on the job and you would be in the union. Talk about a massive difference. I also feel that my arguments are very pro American here I am arguing for American steel and auto companies and I’m arguing that we need to bring back union jobs that pay Americans a fair wage. Tesla does not pay a fair wage they are the bad guys right now

Maybe other people have a different experience with Tesla but I have a bad one. And the biggest reason is because Tesla does not provide union jobs and tesla took over a building that used to provide tens of thousands of jobs to Americans but now only provides a few hundred.
          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
            At the end of the day, electric cars are over 2x+ less polluting than gasoline vehicles. The whole manufacturing process
            But there’s also issues with even electric cars. Think of the debate between cigarettes and E cigarettes. Well e cigarettes also have issues.

As for myself I am coming at this from a liberal democratic pro union perspective. And Tesla is not cutting it

George S Patton

Comment

But there’s also issues with even electric cars. Think of the debate between cigarettes and E cigarettes. Well e cigarettes also have issues.

As for myself I am coming at this from a liberal democratic pro union perspective. And Tesla is not cutting it
              I'm sure there are issues. With any newer technologies there's always going to be hurdles and the technology becomes cleaner and more efficient.

The right just repeat Big Oil talking points. Which makes sense. Why would Big Oil want their profits hurt from people buying electric cars? So Big Oil lies to people.
              Capitalism 101, but at the Big Oil level.....greed and corruption have taken over in the late stages of capitalism.

Comment

How about the batteries on the so called "electric car".......nobody mentions the pollution caused by the production of electric batteries
                and the consumption of energy and cost in the charging of batteries and how far you can travel on a charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post

How about the batteries on the so called "electric car".......nobody mentions the pollution caused by the production of electric batteries
                  and the consumption of energy and cost in the charging of batteries and how far you can travel on a charge.
                  The batteries are what the discussion is about. Everything else about the car is essentially the same as a gas powered vehicle.
                  In all of this, no one has mentioned the battery manufacturing process and what technologies have changed since first electric cars.
                  Disposal of batteries is another thing, after the battery life is exhausted, what sort of disposal program is utilized?

Just be weary of stories attacking electric vehicles as they can be paid and bought by Big Oil PR firms. "Scientific studies" put out by Big Oil PR hacks as well. Always question the source and look into the history of people making claims.

Comment

I'm sure there are issues. With any newer technologies there's always going to be hurdles and the technology becomes cleaner and more efficient.
                    You can't get around the chemistry and physics of batteries. They will always take considerable time, typically hours, to charge up. The rate of charge is determined by the amount of power you can put into them and by the heat generated as the chemical reaction occurs. Thus, unlike gasoline, diesel, and other portable fuels, batteries and battery cars are impractical for use beyond their initial range. Once the batter discharges, it takes hours of sitting and recharging it before you can go again.
                    The solution is to abandon battery cars and hybrids for hydrogen fuel cell technology. A hydrogen fuel cell vehicle can refuel as efficiently as gasoline or diesel powered vehicle can. The infrastructure for hydrogen fuel is capable of being added to the existing infrastructure of fossil fuel. That is, you simply add a pump or pumps at existing gas stations.
                    Charging stations for battery cars are just another idiocy of the whole idea of using them. Imagine if you had a large proportion of vehicles running on batteries. You'd need parking lots full of individual charging stations, one per vehicle, maybe upwards of a hundred or more at larger sites, to allow numerous vehicles to recharge simultaneously. This is because each vehicle will require upwards of hours to do so.

The right just repeat Big Oil talking points. Which makes sense. Why would Big Oil want their profits hurt from people buying electric cars? So Big Oil lies to people.
                    Capitalism 101, but at the Big Oil level.....greed and corruption have taken over in the late stages of capitalism.
                    While the Left spouts platitudes, ignores science, and fixates on desired (call it unicorns and rainbows) solutions rather than ones based on sound science, economics, and engineering. The Left lies like a rug about environmentalism.

Here's just one example of that:

https://www.369universe.com/2016/03/...hima-disaster/

The first picture in the above article isn't even the Fukushima nuclear plant. It's a totally unrelated chemical fire in Japan that happened later.

That's the Fukushima nuclear plant, pre-accident.

The second picture was refuted by the original source.

The Left lies their @$$es off about anything that doesn't fit their worldview / narrative and that's especially true when it comes to environmentalism. They know little or nothing about science and fully expect you to be the same way, simply accepting their lies.

Comment

The issues that have arisen because of Tesla are not just small issues IMO. Tesla has made grand promises to my city to bring in good jobs, well they have not provided as many jobs as they said they would and the jobs are non union. So in the first place, Tesla is not a pro Union Company and for many liberals thats a red flag.

If Tesla would allow a Union, provide a pension, and provide good pay I would be more inclinded to support the idea of electric cars from Tesla taking over the roads. But thats not the case. Not that American car companies are doing as good as they used to, they are not.. But so far Tesla and Musk have not provided people with great jobs and products as for example the liberal Canadian American Giant Cyrus S Eaton once provided. Musk does not remind of a great visionary such as Eaton. Eaton also wanted to prevent the wars and division of the cold war, what is Musk doing to try and bring together Russia and the USA as Eaton did with the USSR and USA?

I have nothing against any CEOs of history that provided millions of jobs and paved the way for the American middle class. I do not see a Cyrus S Eaton in Elon Musk. I dont think Musks visions are the way forward. I dont like the sites of Tesla plants that provide hundreds of jobs taking over sites of former Steel or auto plants that provided tens of thousands of jobs. This is not about defending oil ceos for me but rather Tesla has not brought enough middle class jobs. Where the # of jobs that steel and auto companies have been able to bring in during the American past was much greater. The pay, benefits and overall life of say a Ford Motor Company employee of the 1970s was much better then the life of a Tesla employee of today.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post

Yes good points. Plus for some Tesla automobile owners it can be difficult to even find a charging station.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

You can't get around the chemistry and physics of batteries. They will always take considerable time, typically hours, to charge up. The rate of charge is determined by the amount of power you can put into them and by the heat generated as the chemical reaction occurs. Thus, unlike gasoline, diesel, and other portable fuels, batteries and battery cars are impractical for use beyond their initial range. Once the batter discharges, it takes hours of sitting and recharging it before you can go again.
                          The solution is to abandon battery cars and hybrids for hydrogen fuel cell technology. A hydrogen fuel cell vehicle can refuel as efficiently as gasoline or diesel powered vehicle can. The infrastructure for hydrogen fuel is capable of being added to the existing infrastructure of fossil fuel. That is, you simply add a pump or pumps at existing gas stations.
                          Charging stations for battery cars are just another idiocy of the whole idea of using them. Imagine if you had a large proportion of vehicles running on batteries. You'd need parking lots full of individual charging stations, one per vehicle, maybe upwards of a hundred or more at larger sites, to allow numerous vehicles to recharge simultaneously. This is because each vehicle will require upwards of hours to do so.

While the Left spouts platitudes, ignores science, and fixates on desired (call it unicorns and rainbows) solutions rather than ones based on sound science, economics, and engineering. The Left lies like a rug about environmentalism.

Here's just one example of that:

https://www.369universe.com/2016/03/...hima-disaster/

The first picture in the above article isn't even the Fukushima nuclear plant. It's a totally unrelated chemical fire in Japan that happened later.

That's the Fukushima nuclear plant, pre-accident.

The second picture was refuted by the original source.

The Left lies their @$$es off about anything that doesn't fit their worldview / narrative and that's especially true when it comes to environmentalism. They know little or nothing about science and fully expect you to be the same way, simply accepting their lies.
                          There are plenty of uses for the used EV batteries. Many businesses are working on recycling technologies. Globally, we're seeing used batteries being re-purposed for other uses.
                          The batteries are not going into landfills, sounds like they're continuing their lifespan well beyond that of the EV

Comment

There are plenty of uses for the used EV batteries. Many businesses are working on recycling technologies. Globally, we're seeing used batteries being re-purposed for other uses.
                            The batteries are not going into landfills, sounds like they're continuing their lifespan well beyond that of the EV
                            So you'd rather continue on batteries in the hope and expectation that eventually recycling, technology, etc will catch up to the problem, and the assertion that batteries are not going into landfills? Over a more logistically efficient and quite possibly environmentally friendly technology such as hydrogen, which does not generate the sort of waste that you then actually need to regularly recycle in the first place?
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

What's that got to do with the total implacability of use while in service? The service life is also a problem. Typically, batteries last about 5 years in use in electric vehicles. This can vary some depending on the climate they're used in (heat in particular will shorten the life) and the manner in which they are charged and used. If you charge a battery car regularly at a fraction of the whole charge, the battery tends to get a "memory" and you end up having a very shortened range per charge.
                              The other problem is replacement cost. Replacing a battery pack in one of these vehicles is akin to replacing the engine and transmission in a gasoline vehicle. That is, it costs upwards of $10,000 + to do it. That makes it uneconomical to bother to replace them. Better to scrap the vehicle and make a new one. That's great for manufacturers but terrible for the resale market and those looking for low price vehicles because of limited budgets.

In a very real sense, battery cars are biased against the poor and lower class due to their cost. That is, they are very unfair and create economic inequality.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

So you'd rather continue on batteries in the hope and expectation that eventually recycling, technology, etc will catch up to the problem, and the assertion that batteries are not going into landfills? Over a more logistically efficient and quite possibly environmentally friendly technology such as hydrogen, which does not generate the sort of waste that you then actually need to regularly recycle in the first place?
                                The technology is already catching up to the problem and turning a problem into another usable resource. This will only continue to increase.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X