Window of Tesla’s “bulletproof” truck shatters at unveiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    Why does a pick up need to be bullet proof in anything like a civilised society? And if the windows shatter if you lob cannon balls at them who cares? If General Mead was going to use them for battlefield logistics maybe but otherwise!
    It was Musk`s idea to claim it was "bullet proof " and have a volunteer throw a rock at it to prove the point. I have to admit, it gave me a chuckle to see him eat a little crow.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
      It's as if there's zero point to what you posted. I'm assuming you're just looking at the drill and the excavation. Oh look, the drill makes such a small hole compared to the large hole.. Look at it, so small and clean!

Yet ignore the reason why people have issues with fracking. The pollution from fracking spreads much larger area.
      You miss the point. "Green" battery cars are anything but green. They just pollute, and worse, in a different way than cars running on refined petroleum products.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

I agree. I also add that the one version that gets 500 miles to a charge is pretty impressive. I'm wondering when in the near future they will get it to 1000 mile range......
        It’s a market that is constantly changing, more efficient batteries and manufacturing in order to make it competitive. Just recently scientists have been able to charge an electric car battery in 10 minutes.
        I struggle to see where hydrogen can fit into the future of cars, the process just to produce the gas is very detrimental environmentally in order to claim any green advantage. Also, EPA regulations will force companies to take onboard EVs due to more and more stringent emission standards.
        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
        Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
        Bukowski

Comment

If we could just turn human waste into fuel ....
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Elon recently tweeted that 146,000 orders have been placed so far.
            Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
            Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
              Elon recently tweeted that 146,000 orders have been placed so far.

By the by, Ford sells that many F-150 pickups in two months... The current wait time for Tesla to deliver a car to a buyer is 6 to 9 months...

Comment

Another meme, this time with a quote from someone with no evidence he even said that.
                Ernest Hemingway.

Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

You miss the point. "Green" battery cars are anything but green. They just pollute, and worse, in a different way than cars running on refined petroleum products.
                  So your argument is battery cars pollute more than their gas alternatives? Got proof?

Comment

So your argument is battery cars pollute more than their gas alternatives? Got proof?
                    http://www.impactlab.net/2007/03/14/...mental-damage/

https://slate.com/technology/2008/03...-prius-is.html

The big problem in battery cars is the battery. You have charge it somehow. The amount of energy the vehicle uses is essentially equivalent to that of what a gasoline powered vehicle uses. That energy has to come from somewhere and it almost certainly isn't coming from solar and wind (which have environmental problems of their own). All you're doing is changing the point of pollution.
                    Worse, that battery pack is one giant environmental disaster of poisonous light metals and other nastiness. A battery car's battery has a working life of about 5 to 7 years at most, possibly less. At that point you have to replace it and that isn't cheap. A gasoline vehicle is easier and cheaper to maintain over a much longer period.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...re-than-an-suv

So, if you go read all the stuff on this, the answer varies somewhat but the overall picture is that battery cars are pollute about as much or more than gasoline / diesel vehicles do, only in different ways. That is, you are trading one type of pollution for another not getting rid of pollution particularly.

Comment

http://www.impactlab.net/2007/03/14/...mental-damage/

https://slate.com/technology/2008/03...-prius-is.html

The big problem in battery cars is the battery. You have charge it somehow. The amount of energy the vehicle uses is essentially equivalent to that of what a gasoline powered vehicle uses. That energy has to come from somewhere and it almost certainly isn't coming from solar and wind (which have environmental problems of their own). All you're doing is changing the point of pollution.
                      Worse, that battery pack is one giant environmental disaster of poisonous light metals and other nastiness. A battery car's battery has a working life of about 5 to 7 years at most, possibly less. At that point you have to replace it and that isn't cheap. A gasoline vehicle is easier and cheaper to maintain over a much longer period.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...re-than-an-suv

So, if you go read all the stuff on this, the answer varies somewhat but the overall picture is that battery cars are pollute about as much or more than gasoline / diesel vehicles do, only in different ways. That is, you are trading one type of pollution for another not getting rid of pollution particularly.
                      Thank you, I'll look into it and report back. If you are indeed trading 1 pollution for another, wouldn't that make sense if that pollution you're avoiding are greenhouse gases? That's the whole point of the green movement and keeping up with emerging technologies in the world.

Comment

Not off to a good start. Discredited.
                        http://www.daverado.mvps.org/Articles/CNW.htm
                        This one agrees with my assessment.
                        The Hummer-beats-the-Prius talking point began with this report (PDF) from CNW Marketing Research. The report, titled “Dust to Dust,” was cited in a March 2007 editorial in the Recorder, a student newspaper at Central Connecticut State University. That editorial, in turn, was praised by Rush Limbaugh, thereby guaranteeing its eternal life in blog comments, online forums, and the musings of George Will.
                        Another article attacking your source. Always question the motives of who's behind the 'research..'

I'll leave this one here.
                        https://jalopnik.com/enough-with-the...-bu-1834338565

Never take the word of fossil fuel mega-corporations over what scientists actually say

Comment

Thank you, I'll look into it and report back. If you are indeed trading 1 pollution for another, wouldn't that make sense if that pollution you're avoiding are greenhouse gases? That's the whole point of the green movement and keeping up with emerging technologies in the world.
                          No. That only works if you buy into Gorebal Warming and that anthropogenic CO2 will wreck the planet. I'd say heavy metal pollution from mining and industrial processes present a greater threat, as do industrial chemicals.

As for my claim, as I pointed out and you ignored, there is clearly disagreement on how much "Green" cars pollute, but pollute they do. None of those links claim the vehicles don't pollute. Those favoring them simply claim they pollute less while others say they pollute more. Also, none of them dispute that the types of pollution vary as well.

As for sources, I don't dismiss one merely on the basis of it's political placement but rather on the basis of the information presented. Were as you regularly dismiss sources based on their bias rather than on the information presented. Any source that attacks another source on the basis of political bias isn't credible on its face as they are simply making a combination of logical fallacies starting with an ad hominem.

Comment

No. That only works if you buy into Gorebal Warming and that anthropogenic CO2 will wreck the planet. I'd say heavy metal pollution from mining and industrial processes present a greater threat, as do industrial chemicals.

As for my claim, as I pointed out and you ignored, there is clearly disagreement on how much "Green" cars pollute, but pollute they do. None of those links claim the vehicles don't pollute. Those favoring them simply claim they pollute less while others say they pollute more. Also, none of them dispute that the types of pollution vary as well.

As for sources, I don't dismiss one merely on the basis of it's political placement but rather on the basis of the information presented. Were as you regularly dismiss sources based on their bias rather than on the information presented. Any source that attacks another source on the basis of political bias isn't credible on its face as they are simply making a combination of logical fallacies starting with an ad hominem.
                            At the end of the day, electric cars are over 2x+ less polluting than gasoline vehicles. The whole manufacturing process

Comment

At the end of the day, electric cars are over 2x+ less polluting than gasoline vehicles. The whole manufacturing process
                              At the end of the day electrics are at least as polluting, and probably more so since they have a shorter service life due to the cost of replacing the battery as well as containing far more hazardous chemicals and materials.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                                It won't be received well because making an electric Mustang is pure blasphemy.
                                I don't know who would want it. It's like when people put that fancy Rolls-Royce thing on the front of a Volkswagon.

"Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X