Trump Overrules US Navy Leaders Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Overrules US Navy Leaders Again

Trump ought to butt out of an area of which he knows nothing about. He stands up for criminals and has no idea what 'the good of the service' is.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...allagher-case/

President Trump widened a rift with top U.S. military commanders Thursday by publicly ordering the Pentagon to abandon a process that could have resulted in booting Navy SEAL Edward Gallagher out of the elite unit — an unexpected power play by the commander in chief that has left the Navy in what one former senior Pentagon official called a “no-win situation.”

In a Thursday morning tweet, the president declared that Navy officials will not follow through with a review process that likely would have seen Mr. Gallagher stripped of his Trident Pin, which symbolizes membership in the SEALs. Mr. Gallagher was acquitted earlier this year of murder and other charges in connection with the 2017 killing of an Islamic State militant in Iraq.

He was, however, demoted from chief petty officer to petty officer first class and sentenced to four months in jail as punishment for posing for photographs with the militant’s corpse. Military officials say his case is becoming a test of the services’ ability to police their own.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Trump, like it or not, is Commander and Chief of the military. I know that the US Navy's top brass can be and are often vindictive towards those who publicly make them (in particular) or the Navy look bad. They have a long history of scapegoating, particularly doing it to enlisted. The Iowa gun explosion is a perfect example of that.

Instead of accepting that it was just another loading accident like others before it, the Navy decided to scapegoat two junior enlisted as the cause and claim the explosion was deliberate.

Comment

And Trump is not a veteran and has demonstrated no knowledge about the armed forces.

And just because he can do something, does not indicate that he should. What he has done here is prejudicial to good order and discipline.
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

And your point is...what? What he has done is still prejucial to good order and discipline. No matter what or who he is, his actions are not sacrosanct.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
            And your point is...what? What he has done is still prejucial to good order and discipline. No matter what or who he is, his actions are not sacrosanct.
            Actually, I'd say Navy brass being petty and vindictive towards enlisted (in particular) is prejudicial to good order and discipline.

Comment

And how did you come up with that rubbish?

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF
                So Trump can hand out Tridents to whoever he wants. Got it.

Just because you can does not mean you should.

Personally I think this is one of those things if you are not one of em you should not be involved.

Comment

Trump ought to butt out of an area of which he knows nothing about.
                  The real question is why is some admiral still trying to punish the guy after he received a pardon from the POTUS?

"I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

The real question is why is some admiral still trying to punish the guy after he received a pardon from the POTUS?
                    Actually what does having a Trident mean. Just because you were pardoned you still could not be at the standard of having a trident. (just saying)

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

Because he doesn't deserve to wear it any longer. He disgraced the uniform by his actions, pardoned or not.

Comment

Somehow I think that a long time ago in a Jacksonville far far away, a young Captain or Major Massena would have lost his veritable $hit had his Sergeants continued to take actions to circumvent his orders repeatedly by use of paperwork and committees. Something about blah blah blah actions predjudicial to good order and discipline.

But the Navy does have a long and storied history of defying the Commander in Chief and/or designee. Google "Revolt of the Admirals" if you are unaware of this. So I guess while it's prejudicial to good order and discipline for the Admirals to openly move to circumvent orders, it is in the "Highest Traditions of the Navy"

Plus, in this particular case, it really is a matter of adding 'insult to injury'. They already tried him, rather publicly I might add, for murder, of which he was exonerated. He's already put in his retirement package and will shortly be out of their hair permanently, he's not an officer and not typically subject to recall. The current 'crime against humanity' was posing with a dead ISIS terrorist for photos.....which I find to be so excessively mild as to have no merit considering that he was in active combat and in such a long-term heightened emotional state such things are extremely likely to occur. I'd think differently if he had scalped him or something. I mean for ****s sake, we didn't train him for years to be a pacifist or a monk, we needed an efficient effective weapon that we could point at an enemy and it would kill said enemy with extreme prejudice on the basis of it was told to do so. Such training by its very nature has to dehumanize the enemy, otherwise the person would never become the weapon you need them to be. He posed for photos that were in bad taste. People were offended. Photos should be destroyed and the offended people should be given a tampon.
                        Last edited by TacCovert4; 22 Nov 19, 12:20.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          Actually, I'd say Navy brass being petty and vindictive towards enlisted (in particular) is prejudicial to good order and discipline.

And how did you come up with that rubbish?
                          C'mon, you know that the Naval Service hasn't had any kind of decent leadership since Clinton gutted 'em over Tailhook. Those Swabbies have been rudderless ever since.

And I'd still like to know why JAG keeps withholding exculpatory evidence. Why aren't any JAG lawyers being disbarred for that crap?

I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

C'mon, you know that the Naval Service hasn't had any kind of decent leadership since Clinton gutted 'em over Tailhook. Those Swabbies have been rudderless ever since.

And I'd still like to know why JAG keeps withholding exculpatory evidence. Why aren't any JAG lawyers being disbarred for that crap?
                            I will say that Clinton was the only president I heard openly disparaged by officers in front of the enlisted.

It's not only JAG officers that do that. NCIS is far, far more likely to withhold or even ignore evidence that could be prejudicial to their case, or the case their superiors want to put forward.

Comment

I do not understand why we need a second thread for a conversation that is clearly relevant to the one we had in a recent thread

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...es#post5154272
                              My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X