Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 Republican senators would vote for the impeachment of US President Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 Republican senators would vote for the impeachment of US President Donald Trump

• Mike Murphy, who helped run presidential campaigns for senators John McCain and Mitt Romney, said as many as 30 Republican senators would vote to remove President Trump from the White House if the ballot were kept secret.
    • The impeachment vote will not be a secret ballot, however.
    • That leaves many GOP senators trapped between bad choices: Vote in favor of impeachment and risk the wrath of Trump voters; or vote against impeachment and risk losing moderate voters who are tired of Trump's antics.

As many as 30 Republican senators would vote for the impeachment of US President Donald Trump over his request for Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son, said a top GOP strategist during a cable TV news segment Wednesday night.

Mike Murphy, who helped run presidential campaigns for senators John McCain and Mitt Romney, said during an interview on MSNBC that a Republican senator told him their caucus would likely vote to remove the president if the votes could be kept anonymous.

With 33 Senate seats contested in the 2020 elections, Republican lawmakers risk infuriating pro-Trump voters with a vote to remove the president. At the same time, they could face the wrath of moderate swing voters who are far less supportive of the president.

Of course, there is no prospect of a secret ballot. That means moderate Republican senators, such as Susan Collins of Maine, face a politically brutal choice as they run for reelection.

https://www.businessinsider.com/30-r...t-trump-2019-9

If I can put Trump aside for a second, I think this speaks to a much deeper and more problematic issue. These senators are implying that their reelection means more to them than simply doing what's right. Whether that's a vote for or against impeachment, their own self interest shouldn't be of any relevance in this process.

I'd be more interested in solving that before anything else.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
      If I can put Trump aside for a second, I think this speaks to a much deeper and more problematic issue. These senators are implying that their reelection means more to them than simply doing what's right. Whether that's a vote for or against impeachment, their own self interest shouldn't be of any relevance in this process.

So would I. A politician who wants a secret ballot does not belong in office.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Let's see if I have this right... Some talking head being interviewed on MSNBC says if it were a secret ballot upwards of 30 Republican senators would hand the 2020 election to the Democrats.

With under a year to the election, with no alternate candidates for President, and no primary system in place currently, the Republican presidential ticket would collapse in chaos. Then those Republicans in Congress, both in the House and Senate, would face the wrath of their own party for impeaching Trump.

Secret ballot or not, Republican voters would turn on their representatives like a pack of jackals. It wouldn't matter one iota who voted for or against with those numbers. Voters would simply assume their rep voted "for."

Murphy's an idiot... unless this is the Murphy that invented Murphy's law but I doubt that.

Comment

Yep. Their reelection does mean more than impeaching Trump. Impeaching Trump at this point is not particularly "doing what's right" in any case.

Comment

Graham announces resolution condemning House impeachment inquiry process has 50 co-sponsors
            https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/25/polit...ors/index.html
            {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

The OP is dreaming!
              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by bill shack View Post
                [LIST][*]Mike Murphy, who helped run presidential campaigns for senators John McCain and Mitt Romney, said as many as 30 Republican senators would vote to remove President Trump from the White House if the ballot were kept secret.[*].
                [L]
                Some political hack who 99 % + of the country never heard of said I heard a secret from a senator I can't name...... trust me.
                "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Knowing for whom Murphy worked/still works ,....
                  Murphy is a RINO/neverTrumper, thus under the Greyhound bus .
                  Murphy is working together with David Axelrod, strategist of Obama .
                  Where is the Greyhound bus ? Too late as usual !
                  Last edited by ljadw; 20 Nov 19, 03:52.

Comment

Getting a little picky here but, just to set the record straight the Senate does not Impeach the House does according to Article 1 section 2 of the Constitution.
                    House of Representatives "shall have the sole Power of Impeachment"
                    Therefore I would have little or no confidence in anyone who does not know what they are blabbering about especially when they say
                    As many as 30 Republican senators would vote for the impeachment
                    Doesn't this person know that the impeachment vote is, as far as Shi**-for-brains is concerned is a done deal?
                    Last edited by FTCS; 20 Nov 19, 13:51.
                    Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

I largely agree with your point, but the politicians are elected to represent the interests of the people who voted for them.
                      "Doing what's right" is entirely subjective when it comes to most political disputes. (See abortion for instance)
                      Doing what's right really should be up to the voters and if a politican knows that a cetain action will be widely unpopular in his district, he needs to take that into account
                      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
                        Getting a little picky here but, just to set the record straight the Senate does not Impeach the House does according to Article 1 section 2 of the Constitution.

Therefore I would have little or no confidence in anyone who does not know what they are blabbering about especially when they say
                        Doesn't this person know that the impeachment vote is over?
                        GOOOOOD point.
                        the American Senate decides on the penalty , but does not impeach , in both the \federal and the State Congresses, except in UNICAMERAL states such as - KANSAS, WHERE the legislature does double duty, BUT the*

*( state Attorney general has the historic right to throw out enough ballots as necessary to ensure that a certified Charlatan doesn't get elected Governor in - the first place......

(carry on.....)
                        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

I largely agree with your point, but the politicians are elected to represent the interests of the people who voted for them.
                          "Doing what's right" is entirely subjective when it comes to most political disputes. (See abortion for instance)
                          Doing what's right really should be up to the voters and if a politican knows that a cetain action will be widely unpopular in his district, he needs to take that into account
                          The downside is sometimes you need to do the unpopular thing when your the guy in office.

The scary part of all of this is at this rate the guys in congress have not figured it out yet on the rep side but there jobs are on there way to being pointless as they cede more power to the Exec branch in efforts to back trump. btw dems have done the same thing just not at the pace the reps have currently.

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

Some political hack who 99 % + of the country never heard of said I heard a secret from a senator I can't name...... trust me.
                            Hey, remember that hearsay evidence is even better than direct testimony.....
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

Hey, remember that hearsay evidence is even better than direct testimony.....
                              Well when you cant use the guys who have direct knowledge what ya going to do. Pompeo Mulvaney Bolton and Rudy and a few others. I seem to recall they have been called to testify but someone wont let them. HMMM

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X