Facts Don't Change Minds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facts Don't Change Minds

I've taken an interest in human psychology and the ability to influence/motivate others, not in a manipulative sense, but in more of a productive and constructive (and a particularly work-related) sense (ie: how can I get my point across to bosses and co-workers).

I find a lot of what this guy rights quite interesting and found a blog post that was particularly so, especially given the current political climate and what I feel is a lack of substantive dialogue.

https://jamesclear.com/why-facts-dont-change-minds

In essence, we can only change the minds of those who are close to us.

Oh, there is some good stuff in there!

Leo Tolstoy was even bolder: “The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.”
    We have all seen that happening, right?

We don't always believe things because they are correct. Sometimes we believe things because they make us look good to the people we care about.
    Guilty.

I thought Kevin Simler put it well when he wrote, “If a brain anticipates that it will be rewarded for adopting a particular belief, it's perfectly happy to do so, and doesn't much care where the reward comes from — whether it's pragmatic (better outcomes resulting from better decisions), social (better treatment from one's peers), or some mix of the two.”

Ouch.

If you want people to adopt your beliefs, you need to act more like a scout and less like a soldier. At the center of this approach is a question Tiago Forte poses beautifully, “Are you willing to not win in order to keep the conversation going?”
    Sure, that happens here all the time, right boys?

Thanks for the link, I wil have to study it more before I get back to this one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X