Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long time Hockey Commentator Don Cherry Fired for perceived anti tolerance comment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long time Hockey Commentator Don Cherry Fired for perceived anti tolerance comment

Don Cherry is very well known among hockey fans. Don Cherry is a Canadian former Hockey coach and Broadcaster. Cherry is known for his conservative views and outlandish suits. I want to first ask Canadians what they think of Cherry? And I want to ask everyone what they think of Cherry and his firing by the Rogers company for this comment,

Basically Cherry was perceived by the Rogers company for making an anti Immigrant comment. Cherry said you people come here and at least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy(a totem that acknowledges the sacrifices of veterans). Well Cherry a long time hockey analyst is out of a job. Cherry said he did regret saying you people, but he has not apologized because he said he did not say immigrants. Cherry said he wants everyone whom comes to Canada to honor veterans. I have always enjoyed Don Cherry as an American interested in the game of hockey, but Ill ask the Canadians am I missing something about Cherry?

Whats interesting about this is that in the aftermath of Cherrys comments, many immigrants whom proudly wear poppies in Canada and say they love Canada and its military also say they like Don Cherry. Some Immigrants have also said that they wish Cherry would not have made the remark "you people"
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

I like all Canadians grew up watching Don Cherry on Hockey Night in Canada and also remember him as a fiery coach for the Boston Bruins. In every other sport between periods any where in the world the TV ratings go down during the coach analysis between periods / halfs etc. Not with Coaches Corner in Canada. One big reason was that the French in Quebec would turn the channel to the english HNIC to hear what Grapes (his nickname) had to say. So he became an institution and represented an old brand of hockey. Actually a pretty rough style that included fighting but his brash fire eating style was at least entertaining. Last Saturday (November 9th) he criticized recent immigrants for not wearing poppies for Remembrance Day. The symbol of the poppy for Remembrance Day is a strong one in Canada. All school children are given poppies to wear and are taught the poem "In Flanders Fields where poppies blow, between the crosses, row on row.... ". That poem was perhaps WW1's most famous poem and it was written by a Canadian. The poem is actually written on the back of the Canadian ten dollar bill. In WW1 Canada lost 60,000 soldiers with only about 6,000,000 people at the time. I always proudly wear a poppy between November 1st and the 11th, and most people in my small city do too. So it is an emotional point he makes that resonates with a lot of people. On the other hand Cherry has increasingly crossing into political commentary and getting of the age where he is an angry old man ranting. My opinion is this, he probably crossed the line, he should not have said that ,but it's a shame his long TV career ends in this way. He deserved better.

Comment

I'm not Canadian and never heard of him. So I'll just say if you want people to share in traditions they're not familiar with, there are better ways to get them on board. His approach was divisive and came off as, 'us vs them'. As for the firing itself, conservatives said they want politics to be taken out of sports, Kap was fired in the NFL for interjecting his political views, so the response seems appropriate.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

One wonders what are the chances of Cherry being brought back to Hockey Night in Canada?

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
          I'm not Canadian and never heard of him. So I'll just say if you want people to share in traditions they're not familiar with, there are better ways to get them on board. His approach was divisive and came off as, 'us vs them'. As for the firing itself, conservatives said they want politics to be taken out of sports, Kap was fired in the NFL for interjecting his political views, so the response seems appropriate.
          Its really to bad that Colin does not have a spot on an NFL team. He is a proven player better then some starting QBs in the NFL. He is still young enough to get a spot next year.

The whole point I would say is that freedom of speech ought be respected in sports, I dont think the NFL should have gone after Colin and I dont think the Rogers Company should have fired Cherry. Rather in both cases a sit down between the two sides should have occurred imo.

I will say I may have a bais wrt Cherry. As a Lifelong sabres fan I always remember the leafs/sabres game when it was Curtis Joseph Vs Dominik Hasek and Cherry and his partner Ron Maclean would comment on the games...those were the days.

George S Patton

Comment

If more people in Eastern Canada were like Cherry who’s passionately patriotic about his country and wants others to be as well we wouldn’t be looking to separate in much of the West due to those that are in power who are trying to radically change our culture and destroy our prosperity.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
              The whole point I would say is that freedom of speech ought be respected in sports, I dont think the NFL should have gone after Colin and I dont think the Rogers Company should have fired Cherry.
              I disagree. They were both on company time. When you are at work, you do not get to express yourself. You are being paid. You are working.

I do not disagree with Cherry, but his comments are not related to sports and were wrong place and time.
              ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
              2) Enjoy playing it
              3) Enjoy sharing it
              4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                I like all Canadians grew up watching Don Cherry on Hockey Night in Canada and also remember him as a fiery coach for the Boston Bruins. In every other sport between periods any where in the world the TV ratings go down during the coach analysis between periods / halfs etc. Not with Coaches Corner in Canada. One big reason was that the French in Quebec would turn the channel to the english HNIC to hear what Grapes (his nickname) had to say. So he became an institution and represented an old brand of hockey. Actually a pretty rough style that included fighting but his brash fire eating style was at least entertaining. Last Saturday (November 9th) he criticized recent immigrants for not wearing poppies for Remembrance Day. The symbol of the poppy for Remembrance Day is a strong one in Canada. All school children are given poppies to wear and are taught the poem "In Flanders Fields where poppies blow, between the crosses, row on row.... ". That poem was perhaps WW1's most famous poem and it was written by a Canadian. The poem is actually written on the back of the Canadian ten dollar bill. In WW1 Canada lost 60,000 soldiers with only about 6,000,000 people at the time. I always proudly wear a poppy between November 1st and the 11th, and most people in my small city do too. So it is an emotional point he makes that resonates with a lot of people. On the other hand Cherry has increasingly crossing into political commentary and getting of the age where he is an angry old man ranting. My opinion is this, he probably crossed the line, he should not have said that ,but it's a shame his long TV career ends in this way. He deserved better.
                I will be looking forward to reading that poem the next time I get my hands on a Canadian Ten dollar bill!.

As for Cherry it was a tough spot for his employer. Cherry himself said he regretted using the words you people. Maybe in the future Cherry will be back on Saturdays for Hockey Night in Canada. Its just not the same without him and Maclean at it together.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post

I will be looking forward to reading that poem the next time I get my hands on a Canadian Ten dollar bill!.

As for Cherry it was a tough spot for his employer. Cherry himself said he regretted using the words you people. Maybe in the future Cherry will be back on Saturdays for Hockey Night in Canada. Its just not the same without him and Maclean at it together.
                  The bill has changed now but here's a copy, the poem is by the poppies

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
                    I disagree. They were both on company time. When you are at work, you do not get to express yourself. You are being paid. You are working.

I do not disagree with Cherry, but his comments are not related to sports and were wrong place and time.
                    Sports and politics often relate to each other though. Cherry has a history of making political comments I suppose this one and this time in history got him fired.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post

The bill has changed now but here's a copy, the poem is by the poppies

It looks good but I can not make out the font unfortunately because of the pic size. But I will google this. Either way I plan on keeping a ten dollar Canadian bill the next time I get it because of this poem.

George S Patton

Comment

Hello Herman Hum. Nice to see you.
                        Yep. I agree. You have to watch what you say.

Yep. I agree. You know though, Haven' t there been Hollywood types over the years that have been able to apologize for what they said, and keep their Jobs? I don't like Colin Kaepernick. Don Cherry seems like a decent guy, but he let his emotions get the best of him. He should be allowed to apologize to the immigrants, and for restitution, he must tend goal nude for five minutes, and let immigrants take shots at him. Does anyone besides me remember when Howard Cosell up in the booth for Monday Football, got canned for labeling a player a monkey?

"Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

He made a career saying provocative things bordering on offensive.
                          The dude is 85.
                          it's probably time for him to retire.

Comment

So you think Kapernick and those like him should also be punished?
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I think he was, they declined to re-sign him.
                              Too bad the judge didn't toss out his lawsuit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X