HOW your data is being used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW your data is being used

This starts with the dystopian Social Credit System in China, and then moves on to how data is being used in the US.
    Employers can access your posting history, for example.
    Violation of privacy, rights, or just plain creepy?

The Social Credit System is nuts. There's no way some people in Beijing should be able to judge the moral fitness of everyone. There's room for corruption, like diaper companies paying politicians to reward people for buying diapers. It's also subjective; since when does buying video games make you a miscreant? The free market should regulate conduct; that way people get what they want as efficiently as possible. Social conduct is too complicated and changes too frequently to be regulated by bureaucrats.

The U.S. Constitution does not provide for "privacy rights" or anything like that, so it's up for debate in this country. It's a bit creepy, and it's oppresive given how politically correct our "polite" culture is. In other words, unless you support gay rights and other leftist agendas, the fear machine will kick in, and your employer or clients will be pressured not to do business with you. I'm tempted to bash gays just to make a point.

The way it's used in the courts is ok, I guess. The video only gives one example, and it's positive. And who you associate with should not affect your credit score. Social mobility is one of life's greatest pleasures, and it shouldn't be denied to the very people who are rising in the world.
    "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
      It's a bit creepy, and it's oppresive given how politically correct our "polite" culture is. In other words, unless you support gay rights and other leftist agendas, the fear machine will kick in, and your employer or clients will be pressured not to do business with you. I'm tempted to bash gays just to make a point.
      You say PC culture, but the only thing that has changed are the reasons to get ostracised. In other words, 50 - 70 years ago if you supported gay rights, human rights (for anyone else but white males), or any leftist agenda the fear machine would kick in, and you'd lose everything (even your life). The funny part about this is that you don't feel oppressed because you are oppressed, you feel oppressed because you can't oppress anymore.

You could also say that the bullied have become bullies, and am not a big fan of social media witch hunts either. But if you can't stop yourself from shouting racial and other slurs online, where everything is for everyone to see (possibly forever), then you really have no one else to blame but yourself.
      Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Phaing View Post
        This starts with the dystopian Social Credit System in China, and then moves on to how data is being used in the US.
        Employers can access your posting history, for example.
        Violation of privacy, rights, or just plain creepy?

In America;s case, a clear violation of rights, but perpetrated many times daily by everyone e come in contact with.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

All you have to do to throw these trackers off is put in random noise and nonsense on a semi-regular basis... They soon return craziness for you to enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post

You say PC culture, but the only thing that has changed are the reasons to get ostracised. In other words, 50 - 70 years ago if you supported gay rights, human rights (for anyone else but white males), or any leftist agenda the fear machine would kick in, and you'd lose everything (even your life). The funny part about this is that you don't feel oppressed because you are oppressed, you feel oppressed because you can't oppress anymore.

You could also say that the bullied have become bullies, and am not a big fan of social media witch hunts either. But if you can't stop yourself from shouting racial and other slurs online, where everything is for everyone to see (possibly forever), then you really have no one else to blame but yourself.
            What are you talking about? I'm 31, I wasn't around 50-70 years ago when people were getting killed for supporting human rights—as you claim.

I also don't try to oppress anyone "anymore." Are you high? If I want to go out and enjoy breakfast without restaurants flying rainbow flags in my face, then I have every right to eat somewhere else. Or don't I, in your opinion? This is what I'm talking about—liberals think it's virtuous to barrage others with insults and fake claims about oppression and what not. It's why Trump won. There's also Obamacare, apologizing to the world, ISIS, and perhaps other things, but the attempts of cultural oppression coming from the Left are part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              All you have to do to throw these trackers off is put in random noise and nonsense on a semi-regular basis... They soon return craziness for you to enjoy.
              Great idea!
              How?

Comment

Great idea!
                How?
                You make random repeated searches and use keywords interspersed with you normal stuff.

I like to use stuff that's easy on the eyes like "mini-skirt" or "club wear."

Earlier this year I had to look for a cruise because the wife wanted to take one. That resulted in lots of cruise ads. Annoying. So, post cruise I put in stuff that was random like tools, cars, bikinis, and tacos. Quickly got a whole different set of ads.

For example I got hit looking for cruises with stuff like this a lot:

But, judicious use of key words and dead end searches got rid of that... But they may come back my posting that video. So more nonsense into the system.

Comment

Old news that most posters quickly forget. Do a Google Search on yourself for starters. Then remember what the Clintons got started which was accelerated by Bush after 9-11.
                  Your Data: If You Have Nothing to Hide, You Have Nothing to Fear

Our value is founded on a unique and deep understanding of risks, vulnerabilities, mitigations, and threats. Domestic Surveillance plays a vital role in our national security by using advanced data mining systems to "connect the dots" to identify suspicious patterns. Why We Collect Your Data

In the past, domestic law enforcement agencies collected data AFTER a suspect had been identified. This often resulted in lost intelligence and missed opportunities. But what if data could be collected in advance, BEFORE the target was known? What if the mere act of collecting data could result in the identification of new targets?

What if we could build a national data warehouse containing information about every person in the United States? Thanks to secret interpretations of the PATRIOT ACT, top-secret Fourth Amendment exceptions allowed by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, and broad cooperation at the local, state, and federal level, we can!
                  https://nsa.gov1.info/data/

Your Data: If You Have Nothing to Hide, You Have Nothing to Fear? Ask the political enemies of the Clintons and the Far Left Democrats about that.
                  “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

What are you talking about? I'm 31, I wasn't around 50-70 years ago when people were getting killed for supporting human rights—as you claim.
                    You sound like a boomer. I mean, I'm not an American leftist but that doesn't seem to bother you either when making these generalisations.

I also don't try to oppress anyone "anymore." Are you high? If I want to go out and enjoy breakfast without restaurants flying rainbow flags in my face, then I have every right to eat somewhere else. Or don't I, in your opinion? This is what I'm talking about—liberals think it's virtuous to barrage others with insults and fake claims about oppression and what not. It's why Trump won. There's also Obamacare, apologizing to the world, ISIS, and perhaps other things, but the attempts of cultural oppression coming from the Left are part of it.
                    I wasn't referring to you personally, so why do you feel so attacked that you are unable to discuss the matter? I adressed your post and the points you made, not your personality. Are you only able to answer by blaming the left and communiss? And am I high? I wish.

And really, someone is stopping you from choosing which restaurant you go? Why is your only mode of discussion attack, deflection, and counter-attack? This fake "white heterosexual males are the most oppressed people on the planet" bs is beyond laughable.
                    Wisdom is personal

Comment

You sound like a boomer. I mean, I'm not an American leftist but that doesn't seem to bother you either when making these generalisations.

I wasn't referring to you personally, so why do you feel so attacked that you are unable to discuss the matter? I adressed your post and the points you made, not your personality. Are you only able to answer by blaming the left and communiss? And am I high? I wish.

And really, someone is stopping you from choosing which restaurant you go? Why is your only mode of discussion attack, deflection, and counter-attack? This fake "white heterosexual males are the most oppressed people on the planet" bs is beyond laughable.
                      You said that I, personally, feel oppressed because I cannot oppressa anyone "anymore." Your words. Now you're backing out, because you realize you had the typical triggered reaction of the Left, which is to attack anyone not in lockstep with your beliefs.

Comment

You said that I, personally, feel oppressed because I cannot oppressa anyone "anymore." Your words. Now you're backing out, because you realize you had the typical triggered reaction of the Left, which is to attack anyone not in lockstep with your beliefs.
                        Sure thing chief, but now imagine I didn't personally mean you (replace the word you with "one") and answer the post and don't go for the snowflake culture your president is promoting.

Do you really feel oppressed because a restaurant has a rainbow flag? Really? How can you, personally, critizise the "PC-leftist culture" when you clearly embody it.
                        Wisdom is personal

Comment

Thanks, great suggestions. I just don't know what a "dead-end search" is. All mine ever do is keep opening more doors.

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          For example I got hit looking for cruises with stuff like this a lot:
                          Somebody put something that looks like a Mississippi Riverboat in S.E. Asia? That's brilliant!
                          I want to try that... someday.

Comment

You say PC culture, but the only thing that has changed are the reasons to get ostracised...
                            (stuff from post #3)
                            ...then you really have no one else to blame but yourself.
                            I was going to jump into this one, but now I have to start on the other side and ask you WTF?

No. No no no.... I HATE that kind of logic. You are using the injustice of the past to justify the injustice of the present.
                            Why?
                            What are you hoping to gain by this?

And also no; wisdom is universal... or it really ought to be. Despite what my idiot teachers tried to tell me, I know the difference between my emotions and what the facts are.

Comment

Thanks, great suggestions. I just don't know what a "dead-end search" is. All mine ever do is keep opening more doors.

Somebody put something that looks like a Mississippi Riverboat in S.E. Asia? That's brilliant!
                              I want to try that... someday.
                              Myanmar Irrawaddy River cruises. The companies doing those have either built their riverboats to look like ones that the British Irrawaddy River Company used pre-WW 2, or have found a remaining hull of one of those and restored it.

https://www.rainforestcruises.com/my...iver%20Cruises

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X