Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a douche

As the title says.
    The president's eldest son remarks in a new book on what the Arlington cemetery means to his family.

Title had me thinking it might be about this earlier shining example, but then the name of the OP should have been the clue;
    Vietnam War opposition and draft controversy

During the Vietnam War, Clinton received educational draft deferments while he was in England in 1968 and 1969.[26] While at Oxford, he participated in Vietnam War protests and organized a Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam event in October 1969.[3] He was planning to attend law school in the U.S. and knew he might lose his deferment. Clinton tried unsuccessfully to obtain positions in the National Guard or Air Force, and he then made arrangements to join the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) program at the University of Arkansas.[27]

He subsequently decided not to join the ROTC, saying in a letter to the officer in charge of the program that he opposed the war, but did not think it was honorable to use ROTC, National Guard, or Reserve service to avoid serving in Vietnam. He further stated that because he opposed the war, he would not volunteer to serve in uniform, but would subject himself to the draft, and would serve if selected only as a way "to maintain my political viability within the system".[28] Clinton registered for the draft and received a high number (311), meaning that those whose birthdays had been drawn as numbers 1 to 310 would be drafted before him, making it unlikely he would be called up. (In fact, the highest number drafted was 195.)[29]

Colonel Eugene Holmes, the Army officer who had been involved with Clinton's ROTC application, suspected that Clinton attempted to manipulate the situation to avoid the draft and avoid serving in uniform. He issued a notarized statement during the 1992 presidential campaign:

I was informed by the draft board that it was of interest to Senator Fulbright's office that Bill Clinton, a Rhodes Scholar, should be admitted to the ROTC program ... I believe that he purposely deceived me, using the possibility of joining the ROTC as a ploy to work with the draft board to delay his induction and get a new draft classification.[30]

During the 1992 campaign, it was revealed that Clinton's uncle had attempted to secure him a position in the Navy Reserve, which would have prevented him from being deployed to Vietnam. This effort was unsuccessful and Clinton said in 1992 that he had been unaware of it until then.[31] Although legal, Clinton's actions with respect to the draft and deciding whether to serve in the military were criticized during his first presidential campaign by conservatives and some Vietnam veterans, some of whom charged that he had used Fulbright's influence to avoid military service.[32][33] Clinton's 1992 campaign manager, James Carville, successfully argued that Clinton's letter in which he declined to join the ROTC should be made public, insisting that voters, many of whom had also opposed the Vietnam War, would understand and appreciate his position
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_C...ft_controversy

Comment

Clinton registered for the draft and received a high number
      So Clinton isn't a draft dodger unlike Trump, check.

Now lets move on to Trump Jrs quite frankly disgusting and tone deaf comments......

Comment

Whatabout Whataboutism

OCDS = Obama-Clinton Derangement Sydronme

Comment

Originally posted by Jutland View Post

So Clinton isn't a draft dodger unlike Trump, check.

Now lets move on to Trump Jrs quite frankly disgusting and tone deaf comments......
          That actually is a very good point. While slick willie used the 'levers' available to an 'astute bright student' legally, he did register and was quite honest about his opinions of the Vietnam war- and would serve if drafted.
          However, given his rather hirsute appearance at the time, his beard and hair would have had to be trimmed at army expense.

By comparison, while bone spurs are a relatively straight forward surgical removal from ones feet, the Trump family would have had to pay for the surgery, imposing a heavy hardship on their rather limited means.

People are just not charitable in here...

Last edited by marktwain; 10 Nov 19, 21:52.
          The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

That article improved my support for Don Jr.
            "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
              How so?

Comment

The quote...

"As we drove past the rows of white grave markers, in the gravity of the moment, I had a deep sense of the importance of the presidency and a love of our country, " wrote Mr Trump Jr, 41.
                "In that moment, I also thought of all the attacks we'd already suffered as a family, and about all the sacrifices we'd have to make to help my father succeed - voluntarily giving up a huge chunk of our business and all international deals to avoid the appearance that we were 'profiting off of the office.'"

My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Another excuse for TDS...

Pathetic...
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Another excuse for TDS...

Pathetic...
                    T hose
                    D arned
                    S purs...…………..
                    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Thank god for the forever predictable deflections: Obama and Clinton.
                      It seems Trump's every word and deed is thereby in full excused, "because Obama/Clinton......"
                      "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Originally posted by Jutland View Post

How so?
                        It shows how selfless the Trumps are, but the media rips on them anyway.
                        "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Junior is a moron. He is defending illegal and immoral activity.
                          We are not now that strength which in old days
                          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

The Trump's are selfless? Do you actually know and understand what selflessness is? The Trumps don't fit under the definition.
                            We are not now that strength which in old days
                            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

What have they done that is selfless?

And how does it compare to dying for your country?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X