Kentucky Governor's race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentucky Governor's race

Voted for Beshear over Bevin, has nothing to do with Trump. I don't know how Bevin got elected in the first place.

I would say the very close race was actually a win for Trump even though it doesn't seem that way. A lot of people got out and voted Republican who usually don't bother to vote.

Some think otherwise...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Democrats’ claim of victory Tuesday in Kentucky’s gubernatorial race, as well as the Democratic takeover of the Virginia state legislature, left Republicans stumbling and increasingly uncertain about their own political fates next year tied to an embattled and unpopular president.

Many allies of President Trump’s rushed to explain away the poor performance of incumbent Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin (R) as an anomaly, while other GOP veterans expressed alarm about the party’s failure in a state where Trump won by nearly 30 percentage points in 2016 — and where he just campaigned this week.

We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
      Voted for Beshear over Bevin, has nothing to do with Trump. I don't know how Bevin got elected in the first place.

I would say the very close race was actually a win for Trump even though it doesn't seem that way. A lot of people got out and voted Republican who usually don't bother to vote.
      Junior agrees with you, though. Not a good person to have 'on your side.'

Donald Trump Jr. has played down the Republican Party's gubernatorial loss in Kentucky, insisting it had nothing to do with his father.
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Journalist can write what they want, facts can be interpreted in many different ways.

Beshear is from an old political Kentucky family, he is a home boy, Bevin is from out of state. Beshear's father was the former governor prior to Bevin. That Bevin was able to make the race so close even though he is very disliked in the state shows how strong the Republican base is.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Donald Trump Jr. has played down the Republican Party's gubernatorial loss in Kentucky, insisting it had nothing to do with his father.
          True statement from eyes here on the ground 8)

Comment

That Danial Cameron (R) blew past Greg Stumbo (D) for State Attorney General might give you a better bellwether how this state will vote in the Presidential election.

Comment

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/06/polit...ppi/index.html

Democrats were celebrating Tuesday night, while President Donald Trump and Republicans were left to explain why they were behind in one of the reddest states in the nation.

In Kentucky, Democratic Attorney General Andy Beshear declared victory Tuesday night over Republican Gov. Matt Bevin, holding onto a 0.4 percentage point lead with all precincts reporting as Bevin said he would not concede. Trump had tried to bolster Bevin, holding a rally with him Monday night in Kentucky and telling the state's GOP voters that the race's outcome would be seen as a reflection on him.

If Beshear hangs on, he has said he would ease Medicaid access, overhaul the state's education leadership and restore the voting rights of former felons who have done their time.

In Virginia, Democrats won majorities in both the House and Senate, giving the party full control of the state's government and solidifying what had once been a swing state as a stronghold for the party. Their wins open the door for new gun control laws, an increased minimum wage and other progressive measures that Republicans had previously blocked.
              And in Mississippi, Republicans had held onto the governor's office, beating back a veteran Democrat's bid for another potential election-night stunner. The GOP's win there means the state is likely to continue pursuing tax cuts and opposing an expansion of Medicaid.

Comment

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/05/opini...zer/index.html

Republicans have good reason to be unhappy with some of Tuesday's election results. Democrats took control of the Senate and House of Delegates in Virginia. In Kentucky, a very red state, Democrat Andy Beshear has claimed victory, potentially injecting some blue into the state capital by defeating Gov. Matt Bevin, who is refusing to concede.

State elections are not always seen as relevant to national politics. It is easy to overblow the implications of an election. Experts can easily find a multiplicity of local factors, some related to the particular personality or record of a candidate or about local politics that explain the results on any given day. It is easy to read too much from these kinds of elections; often, when the presidential election takes place, they are quickly forgotten.

Comment

...Voted for Beshear over Bevin...
                  Me, too. Good for us.

Comment

Journalist can write what they want, facts can be interpreted in many different ways.

Beshear is from an old political Kentucky family, he is a home boy, Bevin is from out of state. Beshear's father was the former governor prior to Bevin. That Bevin was able to make the race so close even though he is very disliked in the state shows how strong the Republican base is.
                    I agree, I'm surprised it's so close. That alone is impressive. My mother is from Bath. Her entire clan voted for Beshear.

Comment

Interesting. This election ran deeper than the surface. Thank you for explaining.

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
                        Interesting. This election ran deeper than the surface. Thank you for explaining.

You know the old saying "all politics is local".

I live across the river from Kentucky and have lots of friends and family in Kentucky. I would say the election had virtually nothing to do with Trump.

One of the biggest issues was Kentucky poorly funded employees pension funds.
                        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

You know the old saying "all politics is local".

I live across the river from Kentucky and have lots of friends and family in Kentucky. I would say the election had virtually nothing to do with Trump.

One of the biggest issues was Kentucky poorly funded employees pension funds.
                          Was this a consequence of reducing the cost of "big government"?
                          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Kentucky's Republican governor is the least popular governor of any state. It's not hard to figure out that he'd be tossed out of office.

I'd bet that next election cycle, the Democrat gets tossed out because he is unable to work with the legislature and proposes all sorts of new spending, bigger government, and other crap that Kentucky voters don't want.

Virginia? A state that oscillates between parties. Not particularly a big deal.

Comment

In regards to Virginia, I am very surprised of the results given the Governor's black-face photo which resurfaced. I have to ask if any other person could have gotten away with that?
                              You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X