• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Statute for the Impeachment Articles

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/201

Specifically 201 b 2 which says

(b)Whoever—

(2)being a
    public official or person selected to be a public official, directly or indirectly, corruptly demands, seeks, receives, accepts, or agrees to receive or accept anything of value personally or for any other person or entity, in return for:
    (A)
    being influenced in the performance of any
    official act;

shall be fined under this title or not more than three times the monetary equivalent of the thing of
    value, whichever is greater, or imprisoned for not more than fifteen years, or both, and may be disqualified from holding any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.

My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Good description of what Biden did but he is no longer in office. How will you hold him accountable?
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
      Good description of what Biden did but he is no longer in office. How will you hold him accountable?

Read the law again and notice that it requires corrupt intend "corruptly demands"

A demand by itself is not sufficient for THIS statute ( but it is sufficient for other FEC related statutes as posted in other threads)

Biden simply enforced Obama's policies which were als in line with the views of other countries and international organizations
      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

By the way, people should notice that there is no requirement for an explicit quid pro quo

"
        (2)being a public official or person selected to be a public official, directly or indirectly, corruptly demands, seeks..."

Comment

Yep, Biden should have or should be charged... By his own admission no less.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            Yep, Biden should have or should be charged... By his own admission no less.
            Not by what this statute says

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Not by what this statute says
              You must be reading a different statute...

Comment

You must be reading a different statute...
                I read the same statute and I am reasonable to realize that there was no "corrupt demand" in Biden's case because he followed a policy of QPQ which was considered the right one by everybody at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

I read the same statute and I am reasonable to realize that there was no "corrupt demand" in Biden's case because he followed a policy of QPQ which was considered the right one by everybody at the time.
                  Biden demanded that a prosecutor looking into the firm his son was hired at, and his son's hiring be fired in six (6) hours or a billion in foreign aid would be withheld is clearly a "corrupt demand." Worse, compounding that, the prosecutor's replacement was a previously convicted multiple felon who was horribly corrupt.
                  Thus, if Biden could do it "at the time" then Trump certainly could ask for a "favor" with little or no strings attached.

Comment

Biden demanded that a prosecutor looking into the firm his son was hired at, and his son's hiring be fired in six (6) hours or a billion in foreign aid would be withheld is clearly a "corrupt demand." Worse, compounding that, the prosecutor's replacement was a previously convicted multiple felon who was horribly corrupt.
                    Thus, if Biden could do it "at the time" then Trump certainly could ask for a "favor" with little or no strings attached.
                    Biden demanded what Obama's policy demanded

And this was because the Obama administration and other countries and international organizations saw that prosecutor as being reluctant to fight corruption.

And no, at the time there was not an ongoing investigation. In the past there was an investigation of Burisma's founder and not of Biden's son.

There is NOTHING to suggest corrupt demand which is why Biden had no problem to say what he did in public. Contrast Biden's attitude to that of Trump's who wanted to use his personal lawyer and was not upfront about his actions. The result was that even the senate majority leader did not know that the aid was frozen and the diplomats (as we learned from the transcripts today) got a distorted report of the phone call's content
                    Last edited by pamak; 06 Nov 19, 02:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                      Joe Biden was a "Vice" president.
                      Last edited by marktwain; 06 Nov 19, 09:34.
                      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

You are correct.
                        Biden’s demand would form the basis of a violation of the statute.
                        I can’t say whether he would be convicted, but his demand was arguably “corrupt”.
                        Whether it actually was corrupt would be one of the issues to be resolved in any trial by a judge or jury.
                        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

You are correct.
                            I can’t say whether he would be convicted, but his demand was arguably “corrupt”.
                            Whether it actually was corrupt would be one of the issues to be resolved in any trial by a judge or jury.

Are you saying that Biden's actions could form the basis of a violation of the statute but Trump's actions cannot form such basis for a trial in the senate to see if he actually had corrupt or not intend?

Biden's action cannot form the basis of the violation of the statute for the reasons I explained earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

You are correct.
                              I want you to do us a favour though....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X