Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As California tries to become a Third World nation, residents are taking measures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As California tries to become a Third World nation, residents are taking measures

The latest surge in buying in California is in portable electric generators. Even as cities and government are fighting people doing that...

Home emergency generator manufacturer Generac's stock is skyrocketing in value as PG&E turns off the power...

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/back...193308321.html

And, of course it's better that idiots buy portable generators and burn their house down than PG&E maybe, maybe starting a wildfire...

https://wildfiretoday.com/2019/09/29...ower-shutoffs/

And, the Left has found a new issue... Economic disparity is creating a generator gap between the wealthy and poor...

https://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...y-3702240.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...ffs/vi-AAJdcLr

No, you can't make $h!+ like that up... Or, maybe you can...

One poster complained that the power companies were neglectant in clearing the brush and trees away from their power lines. He did not bother to check that in most cases, they were not allowed to do so because of some endangered species that might be living in the areas to be cleared. So, another round of blackouts are going to occur for the sake of preventing power line sparked fires.

Oh, those generators had better meet the stringent state requirements on emissions or they will be banned from being used. IE, they cannot be purchased from out of the state.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
      One poster complained that the power companies were neglectant in clearing the brush and trees away from their power lines. He did not bother to check that in most cases, they were not allowed to do so because of some endangered species that might be living in the areas to be cleared. So, another round of blackouts are going to occur for the sake of preventing power line sparked fires.

Oh, those generators had better meet the stringent state requirements on emissions or they will be banned from being used. IE, they cannot be purchased from out of the state.
      And I'm sure that CA will enact the Generator Control Act to insure that only "safe" generators will be allowed in the State.
      Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Originally posted by FTCS View Post

And I'm sure that CA will enact the Generator Control Act to insure that only "safe" generators will be allowed in the State.
        As long as generators don't cause cancer in the State of California....because apparently everything causes cancer in the State of California...except for homeless people and homeless people-poop.
        You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

California is gong to create an army of "generator cops"? It's amazing that these idiots have lasted for as long as they have. My ancestors would have laughed them right out of the state...if they didn't hang them first.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by asterix View Post

As long as generators don't cause cancer in the State of California....because apparently everything causes cancer in the State of California...except for homeless people and homeless people-poop.
            Portable generators sold in California already are being regulated to a degree. Only CARB (California Air Resources Board) compliant ones can be bought and used there. There are also more stringent requirements for other issues with them like having spark arresters, mufflers, etc.

I'd expect these rules to become more onerous as people buy and use this equipment more often.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Portable generators sold in California already are being regulated to a degree. Only CARB (California Air Resources Board) compliant ones can be bought and used there. There are also more stringent requirements for other issues with them like having spark arresters, mufflers, etc.

I'd expect these rules to become more onerous as people buy and use this equipment more often.
              How's that going to wash for two of California's biggest industries: restaurants, and information technologies? Both use copious amounts of electricity to run refrigeration and air conditioning plants. For food services alone loss to spoilage for a single 24 hr period without electricity can run into the hundreds of millions of dollars statewide.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

How's that going to wash for two of California's biggest industries: restaurants, and information technologies? Both use copious amounts of electricity to run refrigeration and air conditioning plants. For food services alone loss to spoilage for a single 24 hr period without electricity can run into the hundreds of millions of dollars statewide.
                Hard to say. Any generator of 50 hp. or more, and any permanent installation requires going through an onerous permitting process. There's the building code part, then the CARB part, and if on the coast possibly the Coastal Commission, along with possible environmental impact study requirements. It could easily take a company several years to be allowed to install a back up generator, if they're even allowed to at all.

Comment

California has been a make believe world for a very long time. From Disney Land and Hollywood to the failure to recognize that much of the state is a semiarid near desert it really has been the land of dreams. It long ago adopted the Yin perspective that merit was an an intrinsic property not one acquired through "muscular" interaction with nature. The preference for extroversion, a pretty face and congenital smile over systemization and conscientiousness are the preferences previous generations disdained as destructive to social cohesion. From a Darwinian perspective it is individual selection over group selection.

Many people are terribly confused over the nature of empathy associating it with the prosocial. In reality empathy can be little more than the product of mirror neurons. To be sociable does not equate with being prosocial at a level higher than other social apes. The desire for redistribution is a primitive expression of fairness that we share with even our distant relatives the social monkeys. Experiments with monkeys show a preference for fairness even when the outcome has negative consequences. A true prosocial perspective is more sophisticated focusing on long term outcomes, delayed gratification, meritorious hierarchy, and systemization. In other words California is the feel good state monkey state.

Besides all the other problems California faces the tech industry itself has become an entertainment industry. The real innovations came in the previous generations. Most improvement are incremental not paradigm shifting. FaceBook the most profitable California business is nothing more than a more popular version of MySpace. It's another pretty face without substance. Even those innovations that do come from the University system are themselves the result of a systemization that the state is working to rapidly deconstruct.

We hunt the hunters

Comment

Another irrational claim which defies common logic since the construction of power lines in those areas was somehow permitted. The fact that the companies are held accountable and that there are billions in liabilities shows that it is impossible for these companies to manufacture excuses and blame the state for what happened.
                    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

The latest surge in buying in California is in portable electric generators. Even as cities and government are fighting people doing that...

Home emergency generator manufacturer Generac's stock is skyrocketing in value as PG&E turns off the power...

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/back...193308321.html

And, of course it's better that idiots buy portable generators and burn their house down than PG&E maybe, maybe starting a wildfire...

https://wildfiretoday.com/2019/09/29...ower-shutoffs/

And, the Left has found a new issue... Economic disparity is creating a generator gap between the wealthy and poor...

https://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...y-3702240.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...ffs/vi-AAJdcLr

No, you can't make $h!+ like that up... Or, maybe you can...

Nice to see the recommendations for tacking wildfires by the residents of states with sparse vegetation and big deserts.
                      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Hard to say. Any generator of 50 hp. or more, and any permanent installation requires going through an onerous permitting process. There's the building code part, then the CARB part, and if on the coast possibly the Coastal Commission, along with possible environmental impact study requirements. It could easily take a company several years to be allowed to install a back up generator, if they're even allowed to at all.
                        How about Google or Apple or the rest of Silicon Valley? Their gear requires a lot of cooling, and that draws a lot of electricity. Whether the issue is R&D or commercial servers and cloud storage, I can't see those outfits tolerating power losses. This kind of thing would make a move to Colorado or Upstate New York -- or any other region with reliable hydroelectric power -- attractive alternatives to California.

How about the State of California's servers -- DMV, Dept of Corrections, Education, public sector pensions and benefits, etc, etc, etc -- how will they fare without reliable electricity? What are their back-up capabilities?

Comment

For somebody who missed the mark by a mile about CA's GDP per capita, you seem to know a lot about the "possible" implications of CA's permits.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

For somebody who missed the mark by a mile about CA's GDP per capita, you seem to know a lot about the "possible" implications of CA's permits.
                            I think that we had this conversation just about a week ago. . . . For a real interesting comparison, has someone thought to try it on Purchasing Power Parity? I'd suspect that California's per capita spread over Texas will shrink dramatically if we employed PPP rather than per capita GDP.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Thanks for the gratuitous ad hominem.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X