Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Mattis on ISIS

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/12/polit...ria/index.html
    Former Secretary of Defense James Mattis warned "ISIS will resurge" if the US does not keep the pressure on, days after the White House announced US forces in northern Syria would pull back in advance of a planned Turkish military offensive.
    "In this case, if we don't keep the pressure on, then ISIS will resurge. It's absolutely a given that they will come back," Mattis told NBC in a clip released Saturday by the news organization ahead of Sunday's "Meet the Press." Mattis resigned in December after President Donald Trump's plans to withdraw troops from Syria became public. The retired four-star general was privately adamant in urging Trump against the pullback.

"ISIS is not defeated," Mattis told NBC. "We have got to keep the pressure on ISIS so they don't recover."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/12/polit...ion/index.html

The commander of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces told a senior US diplomat, "You are leaving us to be slaughtered," demanding to know whether the US is going to do anything to protect Syrian Kurds as Turkey continues its military operation targeting America's Kurdish allies in Syria.

"You have given up on us. You are leaving us to be slaughtered," Gen. Mazloum Kobani Abdi told the Deputy Special Envoy to the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS, William Roebuck, in a meeting Thursday, according to an internal US government readout that has been obtained exclusively by CNN.

"You are not willing to protect the people, but you do not want another force to come and protect us. You have sold us. This is immoral," Mazloum added.

He insisted the US either help stop the Turkish attack or allow the Syrian Democratic Forces to strike a deal with the Assad regime in Damascus and their Russian backers, allowing Russian warplanes to enforce a no-fly zone over northeast Syria, thereby denying Turkey the ability to carry out airstrikes. The US does not want the Kurds turning to the Russians, administration officials say.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
      https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/12/polit...ria/index.html

"ISIS is not defeated," Mattis told NBC. "We have got to keep the pressure on ISIS so they don't recover."
      This is not correct : Mattis did not tell NBC that ISIS was not defeated . NBC claimed that Mattis told them that ISIS was not defeated .

Comment

ISIS can only recover with the help of Turkey and Iran . And Turkey will help ISIS only if it felt threatened by the Kurds .Thus if the Kurds do not stupid things, Turkey will not help ISIS .

Comment

Oh it won't be CALLED ISIS this time. But that prospective Turkish buffer, at the Kurd's expense, is going to be the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post

This is not correct : Mattis did not tell NBC that ISIS was not defeated . NBC claimed that Mattis told them that ISIS was not defeated .
            Since you doubt the news article, General Mattis is appearing on 'Meet the Press' this morning on NBC so we'll see what he has to say in person.

Comment

You can see the full interview with General Mattis that was aired this morning on Meet the Press.

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press

As usual, you are wrong and have nothing to back up your wrong-headed opinions.

Comment

You can see the full interview with General Mattis that was aired this morning on Meet the Press.

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press

As usual, you are wrong and have nothing to back up your wrong-headed opinions.
                As usual you are saying things which are not proved .And what I said is correct : I did not say that Mattis was not saying what you claimed he was saying : I said that NBC said what you claimed that Mattis said,because you gave no proof .

Comment

As usual you are saying things which are not proved .And what I said is correct : I did not say that Mattis was not saying what you claimed he was saying : I said that NBC said what you claimed that Mattis said,because you gave no proof .
                  Watch the video of the interview. Again, you are wrong. The video is proof of what he said and the article was correct.

And it is hypocritical on your part about 'proof' as you seldom provide any. All you usually provide is unsubstantiated opinion.

Did you actually watch the video of the interview?

Comment

I wish Mattis had gone further, you know what he hates Trump. The idea that past military people should remain non-partisan doesn't hold up does it Dwight Eisenhower?

Comment

General Allen did:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/13/polit...ump/index.html

A retired four-star Marine general on Sunday bluntly criticized President Donald Trump over the ongoing Turkish military offensive in northern Syria, saying, "There is blood on Trump's hands for abandoning our Kurdish allies."

Gen. John Allen, the former commander of American forces in Afghanistan and former special presidential envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIS under the Obama administration, told CNN the unfolding crisis in Syria was "completely foreseeable" and "the US greenlighted it."

"There was no chance (Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan) Erdogan would keep his promise, and full blown ethnic cleansing is underway by Turkish supported militias," he said. "This is what happens when Trump follows his instincts and because of his alignment with autocrats."

"I said there would be blood, but could not have imagined this outcome," added Allen, who previously stressed US military power and a robust armed forces in a 2016 Democratic National Convention speech that endorsed Trump's then rival- Hillary Clinton.

Comment

We have bigger problems than ISIS and the Middle East. Trump is right 7 trillion dollars spent fighting endless wars in the Middle East has weakened not helped our strategic position.

Never ask a military personality about anything more than the tactical situation. Mattis is a battlefield commander he will always be prejudiced towards battlefield solutions. Your strategic position in the long run is almost entirely dependent on your economic development.

Even if we must be involved in the Middle East Saudi Arabia and Iran is the crucial strategic concern. ISIS is a pimple not the cancer Iran is. Turkey is a NATO problem not a U.S. problem. That our "Allies" are ignorant of this as well as the threat China poses is proof that the corporatist/globalist are not only corrupt but down right stupid.

The EU is proof that the more things change the more they stay the same. The EU is just empire by another name. Germany maneuvers to use economics not guns to head the new empire (Third Reich) while the technocrats in Brussels scheme their barely hidden Marxists fantasies. This empire by another name is a threat that I suspect Mattis is oblivious of, certainly the proven incompetent intelligence agencies are not going to enlighten anyone

Obama's was such an egomaniac that the European Globalists bought him off with a Nobel Peace Prize. Then he went about their interests insuring that they would not be dependent on the good will of the U.S. and Saudi Arabia by making a phony peace with Iran. Whether he was smart enough to see how he was being played is debatable. Whether the European people are smart enough to see how they are being returned to serf status as welfare dependents is also debatable.
                        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                          We have bigger problems than ISIS and the Middle East. Trump is right 7 trillion dollars spent fighting endless wars in the Middle East has weakened not helped our strategic position.

Never ask a military personality about anything more than the tactical situation. Mattis is a battlefield commander he will always be prejudiced towards battlefield solutions. Your strategic position in the long run is almost entirely dependent on your economic development.

Even if we must be involved in the Middle East Saudi Arabia and Iran is the crucial strategic concern. ISIS is a pimple not the cancer Iran is. Turkey is a NATO problem not a U.S. problem. That our "Allies" are ignorant of this as well as the threat China poses is proof that the corporatist/globalist are not only corrupt but down right stupid.

The EU is proof that the more things change the more they stay the same. The EU is just empire by another name. Germany maneuvers to use economics not guns to head the new empire (Third Reich) while the technocrats in Brussels scheme their barely hidden Marxists fantasies. This empire by another name is a threat that I suspect Mattis is oblivious of, certainly the proven incompetent intelligence agencies are not going to enlighten anyone

Obama's was such an egomaniac that the European Globalists bought him off with a Nobel Peace Prize. Then he went about their interests insuring that they would not be dependent on the good will of the U.S. and Saudi Arabia by making a phony peace with Iran. Whether he was smart enough to see how he was being played is debatable. Whether the European people are smart enough to see how they are being returned to serf status as welfare dependents is also debatable.
                          So wouldn't a little diplomacy have had merit? Seems like the United States just left and made no effort to assist it's allies or work on ways to see that ISIS fighters would continue to be detained. This seems to me to be a big loss for American prestige in the world for not much.

Comment

On top of the above, the presence of US troops in the holy (to Jihadists) land of Mecca and Medina will provide the best recruiting tool for ISIS. Recall that OBL used the same rhetoric when he created AQ

My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

He insisted the US either help stop the Turkish attack or allow the Syrian Democratic Forces to strike a deal with the Assad regime in Damascus and their Russian backers, allowing Russian warplanes to enforce a no-fly zone over northeast Syria, thereby denying Turkey the ability to carry out airstrikes. The US does not want the Kurds turning to the Russians, administration officials say.
                              That is happening now as I understand it, YPG is withdrawing from positions and Syrian Army is taking their place, I don't see the Turks attacking them directly.

For the time being the Turks rely on artillery fire from across the border mostly, so a "no-fly zone" isn't really applicable,

I doubt the Russians will resort to attacking Turkish artillery positions directly, so I suspect another stalemate is in the making.

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                              (….)
                              The EU is proof that the more things change the more they stay the same. The EU is just empire by another name. Germany maneuvers to use economics not guns to head the new empire (Third Reich) while the technocrats in Brussels scheme their barely hidden Marxists fantasies. This empire by another name is a threat that I suspect Mattis is oblivious of, certainly the proven incompetent intelligence agencies are not going to enlighten anyone..
                              That would be the 4th Reich now - we've already had the 3rd last century.

Try to pay attention will you…

We have bigger problems than ISIS and the Middle East.
                              Yes you have. Turks fighting Russians, both with assorted local allies isn't exactly new is it ?

Relax - things are exactly like we planned them to be

Whether the European people are smart enough to see how they are being returned to serf status as welfare dependents is also debatable.
                              Probably not - you'll have to tell them, multiple times.
                              Last edited by Snowygerry; 14 Oct 19, 07:14.
                              High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X