Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More on Turkey and the Kurds-Are the Turks Firing on US Troops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on Turkey and the Kurds-Are the Turks Firing on US Troops?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp

A contingent of U.S. Special Forces has been caught up in Turkish shelling against U.S.-backed Kurdish positions in northern Syria.

Newsweek has learned through both an Iraqi Kurdish intelligence official and senior Pentagon official that Special Forces operating in the Mashtenour hill in the majority-Kurdish city of Kobani fell under artillery fire from Turkish forces conducting their so-called "Operation Spring Peace" against Kurdish forces backed by the U.S. but considered terrorist organizations by Turkey.

The senior Pentagon official said that Turkish forces should be aware of U.S. positions "down to the grid." While the official could not specify the exact number of personnel present, but indicated they were "small numbers below company level," so somewhere between 15 and 100 troops.

More meaningless threats without action:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp

The Trump administration on Friday belatedly threatened new sanctions against Turkey that officials said could cripple Turkey’s economy in response to its military offensive against Kurds in northern Syria.

President Trump will sign an executive order giving the Treasury Department new powers to punish Turkish government officials if Turkey targets ethnic and religious minorities in its operations against the Kurds. The White House also warned that if any Islamic State fighters being held in prisons in the area were allowed by Turkey to escape, the United States would respond forcefully.

Comment

How many US troops are there?
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
      Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Not only are they bombing American forces, some ISIS captives have also broke free. I don't know how Trump is going to lie his way out of this mess.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

So, should we do:

A) Go to war with Turkey?

B) Draw a Red Line and then ignore all crossing of said Red Line?
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I say send in an accidental Arclight strike on the Turkish artillery positions. Send Erdogan apologies and say we can and will protect our people.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
              So, should we do:

Maybe if Trump had done something when Iran started stealing Tankers and bombing the Saudis, the Turks would have thought twice about killing our friends.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                So, should we do:

You shoot back. Seems simple to me. Turkey is supposed to be a NATO ally and since they are fawning up to the Russians, maybe a realignment is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                  I don't know how Trump is going to lie his way out of this mess.
                  Oh, he'll find a way. 1st step is to tune into Fox to hear the talking points. Then Trump will have your answer. And since the talking point is coming from approved sources, the audience will believe it. Shep Smith just left Fox, a day after AG Barr met with the owner of Fox. Methinks Donald was furious around the 3pm time slot each day watching Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

You shoot back. Seems simple to me. Turkey is supposed to be a NATO ally and since they are fawning up to the Russians, maybe a realignment is coming.
                    Fascinating. How about we not start wars over our covert forces, that is kind of what they do. I mean, shooting back could seriously escalate into an all out war that we don't want.

Well. That some don't want. You were an officer after all. It was your job to send people to their deaths.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I realize that the Turks are part of NATO, but why we, or anybody else ever trusted them is beyond me.
                      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

They're in a strategically excellent position to threaten the Russian southern flank. At least on the assumption they're still on NATO's side.

And if they're not, they are an immediate and potent threat to Greece and NATO's hold on the eastern Med.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                          How many US troops are there?
                          Not very many. But that's moot by now. The point was that they were placed between the Turks and the Kurds, so the Turks couldn't get at the Kurds without going through a small number of Americans. And even the Turks balk at that.

The way things now work, the Americans have left, and can't be introduced again between the Turks and the Kurds unless the Erdogan agrees to back off and withdraw. He has shown no interest, and if he's going to do what he is already doing, why should he?

It's part of the problem of Trump's decision here. No way of reversing it once implemented. The situation if screwed already.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                            I realize that the Turks are part of NATO, but why we, or anybody else ever trusted them is beyond me.
                            No one trusted them or the Greeks or the French,or the Germans, or....But they are there and you have to do with what you have .

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
                              Not very many. But that's moot by now. The point was that they were placed between the Turks and the Kurds, so the Turks couldn't get at the Kurds without going through a small number of Americans. And even the Turks balk at that.

The way things now work, the Americans have left, and can't be introduced again between the Turks and the Kurds unless the Erdogan agrees to back off and withdraw. He has shown no interest, and if he's going to do what he is already doing, why should he?

It's part of the problem of Trump's decision here. No way of reversing it once implemented. The situation if screwed already.
                              The Kurds are not members of NATO, they are citizens of Syria that is ruled by Assad and Syria also is not a member of NATO.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X