Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money Over Everything Else: NBA, Houston Rockets and Hong Kong

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/07/busin...rey/index.html

Several Chinese businesses are suspending ties with the Houston Rockets after the American basketball team's general manager expressed support for Hong Kong's pro-democracy protests.

China's consulate general in Houston also urged the team to "
    clarify and immediately correct the mistakes" in a statement on Sunday.

Sponsors distanced themselves from the Houston Rockets as well.
    Li-Ning Company, which makes sportswear, and Shanghai Pudong Development Bank each said over the weekend that they would suspend cooperation with the team.

NBA expresses regret

The backlash triggered responses from the NBA and Morey. The NBA said Monday that it recognizes that Morey's views "have deeply offended many of our friends and fans in China, which is regrettable."

NBA Chief Communications Officer Mike Bass said in a statement, which was published on the Chinese social media website Weibo
    ."We have great respect for the history and culture of China and hope that sports and the NBA can be used as a unifying force to bridge cultural divides and bring people together."

I love the fact that people still talk about "draining the swamp" when it is obvious that we live in a society where money, marketing deals, and sponsors have corrupted our belief in supporting even the most foundational values of our culture, such as democracy and civil rights.
    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Well, gee whiz...the very people who protest the American flag and the national anthem are brought to their knees by the Chinese sponsors.

There is a deep and meaningful message in that, and it's not one Americans should be proud of.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Well, gee whiz...the very people who protest the American flag and the national anthem are brought to their knees by the Chinese sponsors.

There is a deep and meaningful message in that, and it's not one Americans should be proud of.
      You confuse NFL with NBA

My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

NBA never protested during the anthem.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

The NBA boycotted North Carolina over the restroom issue. So, now, why have they bowed to the Chinese Communist demand of censoring free speech?
          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Where are the social justice warriors on this one?

Seems like stifling freedom of expression is bad when it comes to Kaepernick, but not for Morey.

“We are strongly dissatisfied and we oppose Silver’s claim to support Morey’s right of free expression. We believe that any speech that challenges national sovereignty and social stability is not within the scope of freedom of speech,” CCTV said in its statement in Chinese, which was translated by CNBC.

The state-run TV channel also said it will “immediately investigate all co-operation and exchanges involving the NBA.”

China appears to be spreading its backlash beyond just the rockets. CCTV and online broadcast partner Tencent previously said they would not show the games that the Rockets were playing in. Now CCTV and Tencent have cast their net wider to include all the preseason NBA games being played in China.

Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

If it were the Russian then it would be Trump's fault.

The Democrats, media, subversives in the deep state and social justice lunatics give China a pass because of China's communist government. They never seem to have meet a communist they didn't like. Besides it would be racist to criticise yellow people.

It's more than just the money. It's also about the Globalist-Corporatist hegemony. Deep down inside people in the tech giants, bureaucracies, financial industry, Democratic Party, and the EU do not think ordinary people should be free of authoritarian oversight. Basically they want to do to dissidents with fake news, hate speech laws, deplatforming​, financial censure, a one party state, mindless protests, boycotts, and propaganda what China does with concentration camps.
              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                Where are the social justice warriors on this one?

Seems like stifling freedom of expression is bad when it comes to Kaepernick, but not for Morey.

Considering that I created this thread and that people here see me as one of the SJWs, your question has an answer right in front of your eyes.

Comment

If anybody wants to listen to other SJWs, he can easily find their comments

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/09/o...gtype=Homepage
                  Dealing With China Isn’t Worth the Moral Cost

We thought economic growth and technology would liberate China. Instead, it corrupted us.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

NBA never protested during the anthem.
                    Many NBA players wanted to but there's a rule against doing so.

Officially, the rule is this:
                    2) Players, coaches, and trainers are to stand and line up in a dignified posture along the sidelines or on the foul line during the playing of the National Anthem.
                    The Golden State Warriors passed on a White House visit after they won the championship that year. There's no rule against that...yet.

If the players really wanted to, they should've done it anyway and accept the consequences that follows.

But...like the OP title... Money Over Everything Else
                    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post

Many NBA players wanted to but there's a rule against doing so.

The Golden State Warriors passed on a White House visit after they won the championship that year. There's no rule against that...yet.

If the players really wanted to, they should've done it anyway and accept the consequences that follows.

But...like the OP title... Money Over Everything Else
                      I assume that you are among those who actually respect Kaepernick?

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

You confuse NFL with NBA
                        No, I do not.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Put some thought into it.

Who controls the NBA? Answer is NIKE.
                          Who controls NIKE? Answer is China.

Nike is the major sponsor in most sports. That means China controls most sports in the world, let alone the USA.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X