Regulate Our Problems Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulate Our Problems Away

Today President Donald Trump announced that his administration plans to ban the sale of e-cigarettes in flavors other than tobacco, a move that will undermine public health in the name of promoting it. The ban, which the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will impose through regulatory "guidance" it plans to issue soon, will dramatically reduce the harm-reducing alternatives available to smokers who are interested in quitting and is likely to drive many people who have already made that switch back to a much more dangerous source of nicotine.

The flavor ban is aimed at preventing underage vaping, which increased sharply last year. "We are going to have to do something about it," Trump told reporters, describing vaping by teenagers as "a new problem in the country."

Yet in terms of numbers and health consequences, the main impact of the ban will be felt by the millions of adults who have used e-cigarettes to quit smoking. Those adult vapers overwhelmingly prefer the flavors that the FDA plans to ban, and many of them, deprived of the products they are now using, are apt to start smoking again, dramatically increasing the health risks they face. The upshot will be more smoking-related disease and death.
    https://reason.com/2019/09/11/trumps...public-health/

The orange idiot strikes again.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Does this mean that the "conservative" Donald Trump is joining liberals like Mike Bloomberg, and Andrew Cuomo, and progressives like Bill de Blasio in the great crusade against e-cigarettes?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there was never anything conservative about Donald Trump. Nothing. Nada. Zip. His greatest accomplishment -- apart from successfully renovating Wollman Rink -- has been to dupe 160 million conservative Americans that, at heart, he's really one of them.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I think Reason is engaging in a little hyperbolic conjecture. I am highly doubtful that people who were smoking regular cigarrettes but went on vaping to quit will go back to regulars because they can't get a cherry flavor. They were smoking regular cigarettes and flavor didn't deter them then. Think before you rant Reason.

I'm not one for regulation and I don't agree with goverent sticking their nose in everything but Reason is fearmongering.
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        Does this mean that the "conservative" Donald Trump is joining liberals like Mike Bloomberg, and Andrew Cuomo, and progressives like Bill de Blasio in the great crusade against e-cigarettes?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there was never anything conservative about Donald Trump. Nothing. Nada. Zip. His greatest accomplishment -- apart from successfully renovating Wollman Rink -- has been to dupe 160 million conservative Americans that, at heart, he's really one of them.
        Agreed, banning stuff is out ot the left's playbook not unique to trump.

Consider
        Large sodas.

Uber/Lyft
        Smoking
        Chik fil a (banned in chicago and san Antonio)

Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

The Chick-fil-a bans are particularly egregious. Government banning a restaurant based on its politics is about as anti-American, unconstitutional, and wrong as you can get.

Comment

I've been saying the same thing since 2016. His connections, friends, political donations and now actions in office proves that he's nothing more than a liberal with a loud mouth.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
            - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
              I think Reason is engaging in a little hyperbolic conjecture. I am highly doubtful that people who were smoking regular cigarrettes but went on vaping to quit will go back to regulars because they can't get a cherry flavor. They were smoking regular cigarettes and flavor didn't deter them then. Think before you rant Reason.

I'm not one for regulation and I don't agree with goverent sticking their nose in everything but Reason is fearmongering.
              The flavors gave them a better, healthier alternative than smoking cigarettes, helping them curb their addiction. But, either way it doesn't matter. This is still nanny state regulation, regardless.
              - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                Fake News. Start with San Francisco which launched their ban six months ago, then add the Democrat Governor of Michigan.

Trump is only adding on because of all of the cases of breathing problems and several deaths that have been linked to vaping flavored products. (From a known Fake News Source.) https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/10/healt...ner/index.html (It is possible those may turn out to be vaping illegal substances.) He has left open the door of a FDA approval of vaping flavored products once the safety of doing so can be proven.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...855_story.html

“Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post

Fake News. Start with San Francisco which launched their ban six months ago, then add the Democrat Governor of Michigan.

Trump is only adding on because of all of the cases of breathing problems and several deaths that have been linked to vaping flavored products. (From a known Fake News Source.) https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/10/healt...ner/index.html (It is possible those may turn out to be vaping illegal substances.) He has left open the door of a FDA approval of vaping flavored products once the safety of doing so can be proven.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...855_story.html
                  CNN isn't fake news. Fox and Trump lied to you. RW media demonizes normal news outlets because they report the truth. And the republican elitists don't want their audience to know 'extra' information on any topic. That would hurt their agenda.

Studies show that people who watch no news are more informed than people who rely on Fox news. That's because Fox is in the business of misinforming you. So you'll learn fake news instead of the truth with Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post

So Trump is following in the footsteps of the most liberal city in the country. And that's supposed to be a good thing?
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

His greatest accomplishment --has been to dupe 160 million conservative Americans that, at heart, he's really one of them.
                      Going by the attacks on him by the left.....it appears he duped an equal amount of them...

Does that mean we have a president that is in the middle???

Is it a bad thing???
                      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

Going by the attacks on him by the left.....it appears he duped an equal amount of them...

Does that mean we have a president that is in the middle???

Is it a bad thing???
                        But you didn't vote for a "middle" candidate, did you. You wanted the conservative candidate. Now you have a conservative who is against free trade and now wants to join in a social crusade 'cause his wife told him so.

Only a day earlier, first lady Melania Trump tweeted out her concern about children vaping, raising eyebrows as to whether the administration might be pursuing something. The first lady was seated by the president's side in the Oval Office on Wednesday. Azar told reporters after the Oval Office meeting that the first lady has been "very involved" in the effort.

"I am deeply concerned about the growing epidemic of e-cigarette use in our children," the first lady wrote. "We need to do all we can to protect the public from tobacco-related disease and death, and prevent e-cigarettes from becoming an on-ramp to nicotine addiction for a generation of youth. @HHSGov"

"Trump administration aims to ban flavored e-cigarettes," by Kathryn Watson, CBS News, 11 Sep 2019
                        Pres Trump actually refers to his wife's stated concerns during yesterday's press conference, which can be seen in the link's video.

So now Pres Trump is emulating such august predecessors as FDR, Jimmy Carter, and Barack Obama, by taking policy cues from his wife -- for whom no one ever cast a single vote. Some conservative.

Comment

But you didn't vote for a "middle" candidate, did you. You wanted the conservative candidate.
                          I've voted republican, democrat, and independent in the past.

I didn't vote for a conservative, Trump was a democrat for most of his life, best friends with the Clintons, Sharpton, and numerous other 'depending on how the wind is blowing' democrats and republicans.

I voted on one issue, the rest of the issues generally work themselves out over time.

Regarding this new 'regulation'

I am against it.
                          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
                            CNN isn't fake news. Fox and Trump lied to you. RW media demonizes normal news outlets because they report the truth. And the republican elitists don't want their audience to know 'extra' information on any topic. That would hurt their agenda.

Studies show that people who watch no news are more informed than people who rely on Fox news. That's because Fox is in the business of misinforming you. So you'll learn fake news instead of the truth with Fox.
                            Where is the link to the so called studies? Can you explain why CNN is being sued for liable of a high school student if they don't lie?

Can you prove that it was Trump's idea to ban E-Cigarettes when the Democrat Governor of the State of Michigan and the City of San Francisco enacted calls for a ban months ago?

And, for the record, I don't watch any National News. I cut the cable to that propaganda three years ago.

“Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I've voted republican, democrat, and independent in the past.
                              As have I, depending on the issues in play, and other circumstances as they arose.

I didn't vote for a conservative, Trump was a democrat for most of his life, best friends with the Clintons, Sharpton, and numerous other 'depending on how the wind is blowing' democrats and republicans.
                              That's clear from his record. That might not make him liberal -- after all, as a big city real estate developer, he has to play well with all the pertinent players. That being said, there's terribly little that should endear Trump to either conservative values voters, free-trade Republicans, or Goldwater libertarians. Despite those facts, clearly Trump has developed a rather passionate and vocal base. That's why I'm confounded by the passion exhibited by his supporters: Trump never has, and does not now, represent their values or interests.

I voted on one issue, the rest of the issues generally work themselves out over time.
                              What was that one issue, if I may ask?

Regarding this new 'regulation'

I am against it.
                              That makes two of us.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X