Free Money in Calfornia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Money in Calfornia!

STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) — Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang wants to give cash to every American each month.

Susie Garza has never heard of Yang. But since February, she’s been getting $500 a month from a nonprofit in Stockton, California, as part of an experiment that offers something unusual in presidential politics: a trial run of a campaign promise, highlighting the benefits and challenges in real time.

Garza can spend the money however she wants. She uses $150 of it to pay for her cellphone and another $100 or so to pay off her dog’s veterinarian bills. She spends the rest on her two grandsons now that she can afford to buy them birthday presents online and let them get the big bag of chips at the 7-Eleven.
    https://apnews.com/758f8d90cb664ba5bca303f93e46da3a

This is one way Democrats can maintain a population in a state that is rapidly losing it as well as buy votes. But, for how long?
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post

This is one way Democrats can maintain a population in a state that is rapidly losing it as well as buy votes. But, for how long?
    You really have a problem with California, don't you?

Have you ever lived there?

Comment

WOW! $500 a month????FREE???WOW!!!! Just think of all the crack/heroin/meth/fentanyl/oxycodone that cash can buy!!!
      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Just another way to make people dependent on the people in power.
        Although I do question her cell phone bill. Presumably she is poor and yet chooses to spend at least $150 per month on her cell phone.
        That is more than I pay.
        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

It is a lame attempt to buy votes in California. That state has really screwed itself with policies.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

It is a lame attempt to buy votes in California. That state has really screwed itself with policies.
            The ever increasing cost of government handouts will drive even more people out of the State.
            Soon, there will be no middle class there.

Illinois is pursuing many of the same policies as california, and we are also losing population.
            In an effort to combat this problem, one democratic politician proposed raising property taxes so high that residents wouldn't ever be able to sell their homes and would be forced to stay here.
            Fortunately that suggestion didn't get far.
            Not yet at least.
            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

The ever increasing cost of government handouts will drive even more people out of the State.
              Soon, there will be no middle class there.
              It wasn't too bad in the mid 90's when I was forced to live there. Last year I visited my oldest in San Diego, homelessness, urine, feces......almost everywhere you went. She was paying $3,500 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment.

"I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Coming from a person that continues to spam this forum with TDS articles from CNN and other hate Trump sources.

I was only there just long enough to process my military discharge and catch a flight out of a state where barefooted dirty long hair late teens stinky people were hanging out at the airport looking to fly on standby.

Those were known as the Flower Children of the 60s, the early hippies.
                “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Stop the personal sniping and get back on topic.
                  Further personal comments will bring further staff action
                  Thank you
                  ACG Staff

Comment

Great. Another "guaranteed basic income" scheme. We've seen this play before.

. . . . The basic income experiment was more than anything else set out to study how the social security system could be reshaped in a way that promotes active participation and gives people a stronger incentive to work. That means employment outcomes were the focal point of the endeavour. In simple terms, the idea was to test if the carrot works better than the stick in encouraging the unemployed to accept new job offers and to seek income from entrepreneurial activities.

With that respect the results were disappointing. Basic income recipients did not have more work days or higher incomes than those in the control group. Despite the fact that basic income recipients had clearly better incentives to work, there were no statistically significant differences between the groups. The results show that among the young and the long-term unemployed other obstacles for work, such as outdated skills and health issues, are more important than financial incentives.

It is important to emphasize that results are based on a one-year follow-up. This is also something the research team emphasizes. . . . .

"Heikki Hiil­amo: 'Dis­ap­point­ing res­ults from the Finnish ba­sic in­come ex­per­i­ment,'" by Heikki Hiilamo, University of Helsinki, 8 Feb 2019
                    The question that goes unasked is, do programs like guaranteed basic income present a "moral hazard," an incentive to not work.

According to the Pew Research Center, 13% of Americans are strongly disinclined to seek gainful employment because they do not wish to work.

Better than one-eighth of Americans simply do not want to work -- so they don't. No one asks if guaranteed basic income will increase that figure, and by how much. That might put a dent into the free-for-all which academic and political leaders are currently encouraging.
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post

Especially since not one cent of it is "free" at ll, but squeezed from the already overburdened California taxpayers without their consent.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                        The question that goes unasked is, do programs like guaranteed basic income present a "moral hazard," an incentive to not work.
                        I think the answer can be found in the old Eastern Block countries. According to my relatives; basic income did not get people to work more....... the 5 year programs always crashed.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

I would have to say "yes" based on the extensive history of "the dole" in Britain where many families are into the fourth generation of being paid to do nothing.

Welfare here in America does the same thing - when you can make more by not working, why work?
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I would have to say "yes" based on the extensive history of "the dole" in Britain where many families are into the fourth generation of being paid to do nothing.

Welfare here in America does the same thing - when you can make more by not working, why work?
                            Yup...and the more babies she has the more $$$$ she gets....you gotta problem widdat?
                            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Especially since not one cent of it is "free" at ll, but squeezed from the already overburdened California taxpayers without their consent.
                              Yup!

Free Stuff Costs More
                              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X